Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please explain how you convinced your mum to thinking that there beautiful creatures cause my dad at the moment whenever i start talking about them he doesn't wont to hear it and ten just walks of not giving me the chance to explain aha

Your half way there. Talk to your Mum some more and prove that you are ready to care for a python and then she will talk to your dad.

Your half way there. Talk to your Mum some more and prove that you are ready to care for a python and then she will talk to your dad.

She knows i can care for it but dad just cant stand them, mum on the other hand doesnt mind. Them but wont really talk to dad about it. Its really confusing and frustrating right now

As hard as it may be possibly giving it a break with your dad for a while may be the way to go. If he hears about a snake constantly he is going to despise the word even more, leave him be for a month and then maybe sit him down and explain that you realise that he has a phobia of snakes but a Python is something that you really have your heart set on and that it would mean a great deal to you if he would show enough faith in you to be able to keep one without him having to see it or deal with it

As hard as it may be possibly giving it a break with your dad for a while may be the way to go. If he hears about a snake constantly he is going to despise the word even more, leave him be for a month and then maybe sit him down and explain that you realise that he has a phobia of snakes but a Python is something that you really have your heart set on and that it would mean a great deal to you if he would show enough faith in you to be able to keep one without him having to see it or deal with it

Thanks I think I may do this cause he is getting a bit agitated so ill try and not to talk about snakes for a while. And it does seem to makes sense.
Thanks

Sounds like you have two issues to overcome – being deserving and your dad’s phobia. If you genuinely want a python that badly then you need to be prepared to put in the hard yards first. Probably the most impressive thing you can do demonstrate you are responsible and prepared to earn the right, is to make a really concerted effort to work at your schoolwork and try and improve. You’ll benefit as a spin off. Potential win:win.

The phobia issue is hard but if you have shown beyond any doubt how serious you are about it, that earns you leverage and the right to at least be heard. Regular exposure in very small doses to begin with is the ideal. The larger the snake, the greater is the fear reaction for a phobia.

A possible approach... When the time is right, remind your dad that pythons have no venom and are harmless to humans (little ones at least). Ask your dad of he is afraid of earthworms. Draw the parallel that pythons are a lot like big worms that live above the soil. Show him a few pics of normal earthworms and watch for any reaction. Then show him some pics of giant earthworms and see if he reacts differently. If there is a difference, ask him why he can use a hose, which is shaped just like a snake, but that does not worry him. Follow that up a few days later with trying to get him into a pet shop to view some small snakes – preferably hatchies.

Blue

Attachments

• giant_worm 1.jpg
    giant_worm 1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Giant worm 2.jpg
    Giant worm 2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Giant worm3.jpg
    Giant worm3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 58
Blue!!! You are a genius :D I've been trying to work out how to convince my parents (who are usually very intelligent, rational people) that their irrational fear/dislike of all snakes is completely ridiculous. The earth work idea is fantastic!!!

BDkeeper, I've been trying for years with two of the most logical people I've ever known and have gotten nowhere. Blue's idea is worth a shot :D otherwise you'll just have to stick to lizards until you move out (forever away, I know!)

Forgot to mention maximum sizes... Spotted 105 cm; Children’s 102 cm; Stimson’s 89 cm. The smallest Antaresia is actually the Pygmy Python (A. perthensis) with a max of 61 cm. [from Wilson & Swan 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Ed.]

Nothing much between them really - virtually all max out around the one metre mark. So a 60 x 40 x 30 cm enclosure would suit all as adults. They are all great escape artists, particularly Stimmies. So no gaps anywhere in the enclosure is a must. If using sliding glass doors where there is more than a couple of mm between the tracks, It is advisable to install a length of ‘weather strip’ where the doors overlap when shut. The pile carpet-like variety is better than the sponge type strip.

Blue

If that fails, just sit down and cry.
Continually mention the words 'snake' 'end of the world' 'need more responsibility.''

Noone wants to deal with a crying teenager.

Ha ha OR give your parents an alternative.

Say to them, "Either let me keep a snake IN the closet... OR get ready for me to come OUT of one..."

Say to them, "Either let me keep a snake IN the closet... OR get ready for me to come OUT of one..."

BAHAHAHAHA best reply ever!!! :D

Sounds like you have two issues to overcome – being deserving and your dad’s phobia. If you genuinely want a python that badly then you need to be prepared to put in the hard yards first. Probably the most impressive thing you can do demonstrate you are responsible and prepared to earn the right, is to make a really concerted effort to work at your schoolwork and try and improve. You’ll benefit as a spin off. Potential win:win.

The phobia issue is hard but if you have shown beyond any doubt how serious you are about it, that earns you leverage and the right to at least be heard. Regular exposure in very small doses to begin with is the ideal. The larger the snake, the greater is the fear reaction for a phobia.

A possible approach... When the time is right, remind your dad that pythons have no venom and are harmless to humans (little ones at least). Ask your dad of he is afraid of earthworms. Draw the parallel that pythons are a lot like big worms that live above the soil. Show him a few pics of normal earthworms and watch for any reaction. Then show him some pics of giant earthworms and see if he reacts differently. If there is a difference, ask him why he can use a hose, which is shaped just like a snake, but that does not worry him. Follow that up a few days later with trying to get him into a pet shop to view some small snakes – preferably hatchies.

Blue

I will do this combined with some of the other ones after I finish the " no snake talking phase" in a couple of weeks and hopefully all goes well.
Thanks

Sounds good in theory but what if the folks decide to play hardball and say OK but the answer is still “No!” The limp wrist wouldn’t be too difficult or present any problems. However, assuming he is an average hetero male teenager, having to show more than a passing casual interest in his male mates when his folks are around could have dire consequences. He would likely be rather quickly treated like a pariah by his now ex-mates, not to mention that the word would get around school and social circles faster than a rat up a drain-pipe, and that would severely cruel his chances with the ladies. Alternatively, his feigned affections may be reciprocated... I don’t even want to think about it. Either way, not good.

On a serious note, as I and others have tried to point out, there is no quick fix. And words alone are not going to cut the mustard. Earn the right for consideration and you have a good chance of getting what you want.

Blue

Sounds good in theory but what if the folks decide to play hardball and say OK but the answer is still “No!” The limp wrist wouldn’t be too difficult or present any problems. However, assuming he is an average hetero male teenager, having to show more than a passing casual interest in his male mates when his folks are around could have dire consequences. He would likely be rather quickly treated like a pariah by his now ex-mates, not to mention that the word would get around school and social circles faster than a rat up a drain-pipe, and that would severely cruel his chances with the ladies. Alternatively, his feigned affections may be reciprocated... I don’t even want to think about it. Either way, not good.

On a serious note, as I and others have tried to point out, there is no quick fix. And words alone are not going to cut the mustard. Earn the right for consideration and you have a good chance of getting what you want.

Blue

Yeah that's why I haven't dont it and yeah looks like I'm in for the long haul

Can you please explain how you convinced your mum to thinking that there beautiful creatures cause my dad at the moment whenever i start talking about them he doesn't wont to hear it and ten just walks of not giving me the chance to explain aha
I took her to reptile parks and to friends places that had snakes. Idk she never hated them to begin with but it certainly took time and effort.

I took her to reptile parks and to friends places that had snakes. Idk she never hated them to begin with but it certainly took time and effort.

Yeah thats what i thaught of the other day and as soon as my local pet shop gets some small hatchies ill take her and let her handle one and then let the magic happen and hopefully ill come home with that snake anyway thats my grand plan cause nothings working with dad

Yeah thats what i thaught of the other day and as soon as my local pet shop gets some small hatchies ill take her and let her handle one and then let the magic happen and hopefully ill come home with that snake ������ anyway thats my grand plan cause nothings working with dad ������
Hmmm not sure hatchies would be the best thing. Most hatchies are snappy and may bite. If you can find someone with an adult diamond or just any snake that's docile that would be better.

Just tell your dad he is not setting a very good example for you as a man by having an irrational fear and hiding from it instead of facing it and overcoming it.

Forget about the python talk and sit him down and ask him if he thinks its a positive thing to hide from your fears and if he thinks you should grow up and hide from your fears too. If that fails just call him a wimp all the time instead of nagging him.

Hmmm not sure hatchies would be the best thing. Most hatchies are snappy and may bite. If you can find someone with an adult diamond or just any snake that's docile that would be better.

Don't know anyone with an adult diamond but when the pets shops get reptiles In I'll see if I can get my mum to handle one of the adult snakes just as long as it's not a jungle or something like that

Just tell your dad he is not setting a very good example for you as a man by having an irrational fear and hiding from it instead of facing it and overcoming it.

Forget about the python talk and sit him down and ask him if he thinks its a positive thing to hide from your fears and if he thinks you should grow up and hide from your fears too. If that fails just call him a wimp all the time instead of nagging him.

Was actually thinking about this the other day and if nothing works or I just lose my patience I will do it

Don't know anyone with an adult diamond but when the pets shops get reptiles In I'll see if I can get my mum to handle one of the adult snakes just as long as it's not a jungle or something like that
Don't be so quick to stereotype jungles. My jungle has never ever bitten anyone. He's such a sweetie. Diamonds can be snappy as well but overall are some of the most docile.

just be happy with lizards while you are at home and when you move out you can buy a snake --"if you can still afford it now that you are paying for everything "!!!!

I waited until I was 40 and our daughter asked for a snake -- with the instant yes as long as you learn to READ and study the snake care books . we now have five snakes and our first stimsons are hatching as I type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back