Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so if someone bred a md with a darwin it would be a hybrid?
No, it would still be a carpet python
if a sa woma and a nt bhp mated the offspring would be hybrids?
Yes, that is a hybrid
port macs are intergrades because they are found in the wild in an overlapping range of 2 snakes?

it would still be a hybrid, an intra=specific hybrid but a hybrid none the less, a woma x bhp would be an inter-specific hybrid. And port macs are not found in an overlapping range, they are found in the range of port macs, they are not diamonds, they are not coastals, they are not a hybrid of the 2

One species of Morelia spilota inhabits the East and North of Australia. They form various clades that have differentiating genetic characteristics.
Now, where these defining character traits occur there isn't a clear line in the sand where the characteristics stop and the next ones start. It is in fact a gradual change and the area is the intergrade area and the snakes in that area show charateristic of the populations on either side. They may in fact be the original genetic material and the so called subs may have evolved from them.
Anyway, those animals in the intergrade zone where referred to as intergrades or intergrates by a committee set up by then NPWS NSW ans for keeping reasons classified as a sub sub.
Now saying that they did not specify that captive cross bred Morelia spilota were not included in that category.
So in summing up, in NSW and intergrade was any melange of genetic material from a single species where the genetic stock was from different localities.
again, my brain hurts.

nope if 2 species overlap and breed its a natural hybrid, intergrades are the result of a gradual change as a species moves such as the carpet python, as it moved south it went through a number of changes giving us what we today calss as jungles, coastals and diamonds, in between those forms there are intermediate forms, the best known being the port mac carpet. As said there is no magical point where they change, its a gradual process

Hornet you are making this claim as though it is gospel.

I took the time to research your claim that an 'intergrade' is a transitional form.I can find NO evidence for this claim. Infact a quick search shows that the only place where the term intergrade is used is, as Micheal has said, is amongst herpers. Please post a reference or state your expertise so we can judge whether your claim is reliable or not.

I know what the word intergrade means to me, but that doesn't make me or what i think right or anyone else wrong.

Did a DNA test on his custard disprove he is the father?

What if she self impregnated? What then? would you end up with a intergrade clone with a hybrid complex?

im not sure what to do if both my snakes are girls and one got pregnant? how could this be! its a mircle baby!

i really should have brought more popcorn

This topic has come up so many times over the years.

Thats why it is so much fun just to sit back and watch the chaos unfold :) and everytime it finallyg ets to a conclusiona nd someone will start it as a new thread and all this valuable info about pregnant smoking intergraded hybrid dymon jag rpm gets lost and its all started again.

I am not sure if a reference this paper published in 1937 is going to clear up this issue.

Evolution is an ongoing thing, it's not something that has been done and is now finished. Many "forms" of species are in the transitional stage and environmental changes, which influence their habitats and ecology, will shape up their future direction. This could lead to speciation or to convergence. In my opinion, many taxonomists, I mean the splitters, are jumping the gun, trying to slot these forms into specific or sub-specific pidgin holes for the sake of their own existence and retainer of their jobs. They should take a rest come back in a few million years time to sort things out. That way, there would be less confusion.

... there are intergrades and there are degrades - this thread is heading towards the latter. :D

They would be a hybrid. Doesn't matter if they are in captivity or not. Still a hybrid.
If a Coastal X Diamond = Hybrid
Intergrade X Coastal = Hybrid
Intergrade X Diamond = Hybrid
Intergrade X Intergarde = Intergrade

That linked post above by Bob(Bigguy) sums it up best. In the buffer zones there are naturally occuring hybrids where Intergrades cross with Coastals or Diamonds(depending on which end you are looking at) and naturally occuring Intergrades where Intergrades mate with other Intergrades.

This topic has come up so many times over the years.

VERY HELPFUL... now just for those who are unsure, what exactly is an intergrade? All those other things are hybrids which is easy to get. but what is an intergrade?

I am not sure if a reference this paper published in 1937 is going to clear up this issue.

Evolution is an ongoing thing,
I posted the link more for the definitions it gave rather than the outdated content

is this going anyware ,or just another excuse to argue ? everyone has an opinion ,but just one post containing EVIDENCE would sufice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back