Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am a bit of a Darwin Carpet fan (this is probably also because it is my only snake at the moment too)
What size do Darwin Carpets really get? I have read about 2.1 to 2.5mtrs. The NT News (under snake photos) has some pics of some big ones (one eating a possum) and the one that fell from my roof earlier this year was at least 2.5mtrs. Would love to hear of the average size of a captive adult or see any photos. Do females get bigger?
Also it appears mine likes to spend a fair amount of time splashing water everywhere and I am always changing the newspaper substrate. I have read this is quite normal but was a bit worried about the damp becoming a problem ie with raised humidity.
Also it is a snappy creature at times - like....all the time. I hear the albino form are generally very tame.....any tame standard ones out there?

hey mate
the average size is around 1.8 to 2.0 metres, they are basically all snappy, mine isnt to bad, but he is a het

I have a standard Darwin sub-adult roughly 110cm in length..

All my children hold him, he is not at all snappy. I was reading up on them bout half an hour ago and apparantly the average size is as you said 2 metres the largest recorded was 2.5 metres.

Not sure about the Albino form being more placid, will let you know when I collect mine in a couple of months.

What temps are you getting in your enclosure? Looks like 29? You might want to bump the temp up to around 32 - 33 and that darwin is huge :)

Also it is a snappy creature at times - like....all the time. I hear the albino form are generally very tame.....any tame standard ones out there?

As the proud owner of 5 month old hatchy Darwins ( i've had them for 3 months), i can honestly say, there are placid ones ... one in particular will be handled for about 10 -15 min and then get comfy on my hand and fall asleep..... no movement of any description for half an hour or more........ and has been like this since day one, one of the others is related to Freddy Kruger..... luck of the draw, and he is starting to calm.
A lot of hatchies, not just Darwins, are mini chainsaws, its a preservation thing

and yes Darwins are renown for liking a bath or two.....

I bought this darwin in 2005 as an ugly little worm but she looks ok now.
The girls holding her are fresh off the boat from the UK and never been close to a snake till this.
Cheers

Attachments

• Pomsdarwin.jpg
    Pomsdarwin.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 275
Good to know they can be tame and mine being snappy is not personal (mine is about 51/2 mnths too) . I did get a surprise when I got her out last night as instead of a bite I only got a bunt! then she seemed to settle down. So it appears i have progressed from bites to bunts......I will win her over yet!

Hey that is a nice looking Darwin....

What temps are you getting in your enclosure? Looks like 29? You might want to bump the temp up to around 32 - 33 and that darwin is huge :)

It gets to 33-34 deg during the day at the moment and about 28 at night.......It is starting to cool off a bit though.

I am a bit of a Darwin Carpet fan (this is probably also because it is my only snake at the moment too)
What size do Darwin Carpets really get? I have read about 2.1 to 2.5mtrs. The NT News (under snake photos) has some pics of some big ones (one eating a possum) and the one that fell from my roof earlier this year was at least 2.5mtrs. Would love to hear of the average size of a captive adult or see any photos. Do females get bigger?
Also it appears mine likes to spend a fair amount of time splashing water everywhere and I am always changing the newspaper substrate. I have read this is quite normal but was a bit worried about the damp becoming a problem ie with raised humidity.

My 6 month old loves to be in the water...When we first got him he spent all his time in the water. When I went to get him out one day I thought he was dead as his whole body, including his head, was under water.... But no he just likes to sit like that.

I had a real problem at first with him getting water everywhere and it was causing a bit of humidity in his enclosure. I have started using coir block but I use the Kitty's crumble brand... It absorbs the spilled water and then dries out over a couple of days reducing the humidity in the enclosure. I was using aspen snake bedding but it the water sat underneath it and made the enclosure smell bad....

heres a couple of my darwins.

Attachments

• DSC00533.jpg
    DSC00533.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC02189.jpg
    DSC02189.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02356.jpg
    DSC02356.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
attachment.php
WOW!!!
adfel- this is mine soaking!

Those Darwins are just amazing...........thanks for sending those photos.....those colours are just fantastic.

My darwins are about 1.8 and 2.3ms roughly at 6 and 7 years old, I never handle them but neither would ever bite, very stocky snakes, I like them.

My darwins are about 1.8 and 2.3ms roughly at 6 and 7 years old, I never handle them but neither would ever bite, very stocky snakes, I like them.

Any Photos? That one of mine feeds well...it always seems to be looking for more food. i have been giving her 1 adult mouse a week and have stepped it up to two adult mice as of last feed.

Does that sound about the right amount/frequency of food ?

I suppose i should move to rats asap....I just have some spare mice. I have a rat breeding project on the way but no small ones yet.

I've probably got a bunch of old photos around, I'll have look for some, I can't remember what mine were feeding on as juveniles, but I think roughly small rats (120grams) at 12-15months roughly, but it was a while ago now. Sounds good though, they do enjoy food, my male stops eating every year (about a month or so ago), but the female never stops, I have to stop feeding her.

Heres the female, she's much nicer in the flesh, but it's all I've got.
tn_StimmiepileandDarwin072.jpg

And the male, same deal.
tn_femdarwin002.jpg

I have a little boy hatched around the same time.... He is just starting to get his colours coming through.... Where did you get urs from ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back