Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of my boys 3 and half years old about 6ft and really quiet the kids even handle him but eats like a horse lol. definetly a very solid snake for their size just love the heads and eyes on them.:D

Attachments

• charley apr 10 001.jpg
    charley apr 10 001.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 71
  • snakey apr 10 023.jpg
    snakey apr 10 023.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 70
  • snakey apr 10 012.jpg
    snakey apr 10 012.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 59
This is one of my boys 3 and half years old about 6ft and really quiet the kids even handle him but eats like a horse lol. definetly a very solid snake for their size just love the heads and eyes on them.:D

That is a solid one. Great size and markings

rodney, that second pic is a stunner... very nice animal!
cougers, i love that RP.
very nice everyone

I caught one wild male that was 3.1m.

3.1mtr...Thats a THUMPER....I would have loved to see that. One of the fellows I work with said he saw one about 3mtr......that one I put a link to eating the possum must have been close too...they must be out there....seems a very diverse species too...I will do some more reaserch and hope to give breading a go one day......What age should males and females be before attempting to breed?

Breeding is more of a size thing than an age thing. Bigger pythons are more likely to breed. I've got a pair (albino + het) that are nearly 2 1/2 and I'm trying to breed them this year. They are going into their first cooling winter and are pushing 2 m in length and 2 kg in mass. They would not be as big if I hadn't fed through last winter. Just got a male of the same age that was cooled last winter and is 1.6 m long and 1kg in mass.

Breeding is more of a size thing than an age thing. Bigger pythons are more likely to breed. I've got a pair (albino + het) that are nearly 2 1/2 and I'm trying to breed them this year. They are going into their first cooling winter and are pushing 2 m in length and 2 kg in mass. They would not be as big if I hadn't fed through last winter. Just got a male of the same age that was cooled last winter and is 1.6 m long and 1kg in mass.

OK.....as a rule do females get bigger than males? My female was born Nov last year so I have a while to research and learn before i give it a go. I think it would be very very rewarding.

I noticed that both Darwin and Bredl females got noticeably bigger than males by 1 year. This is the general rule for carpet pythons and the size of the difference varies by species and locale. Males like the big females. In evolutionary terms this is very logical - bigger females can make the metabolic investment in a clutch of eggs which may be 30% of their body mass and then survive the incubation period (bit less than 2 months) without feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back