Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think would be a first snake
ive got a mate who got a 2yo ccp colour morph and its great
hes getting a spotted hatchling tonight and im wondering what you guys think
ive thought CCP,Spotted,Bredli but does anybody know a better first snake or have any ups or downs to the listed snakes and also does anybody know a good victorian breeder of these or other good snakes??

its all a matter of personal taste almost all aussie pythons make good first snakes with the exeption of gtp's, scrubs (if your not prepared to deal with theyre size and temper)

i personally am not to big on the antaresia complex of snakes but having said that i have owned them and my mrs has bought some more recently
i myself suggest you go for any of the carpet python species some of them are fairly cheap (100-200 bucks for stock standard run of the mill murry darling, coastal or darwin) i myself keep coastals, jungles and imbricata at present and if your after a smaller carpet grab a jungle or darwin as they can look fantastic to which is great, if your after something that will push 8ft get yourself a coastal these come in some morphs now to if you can afford them

as far as liasis i have kept olives and they remain one of my favorites to keep, waters are touch and go but it depends on the individual you get as i have met heaps that are nice and calm

i have not kept aspidites yet but womas are the new beginner snake they would be a good choice to

all that in mind read doc rocs article on road testing aussie pythons, its on his website

whats the website?? yeh my mates carpet looks like a jungle but i will grow huge and i dont know much on woma's but have heard alot of recent talk about them also ccp morphs arent that expensive the ccp morph ive been talking about was $350 soo
i definately dont have the money for a olive , bhp or scrubbie so there off the list
i dont know anything at all on the water pythons and what the hell are imbricata

also i love the md's so they are the best bet as they are local to my area(once apon a time) and they look good and i havent seen much pricing soo.... does anybody know a victorian MD breeder??

Last edited:
oh ok ive heard a bit about th WA's but never really cared i think the MD's are for me but any other suggestions welcome

Hubby and I have bought a Jungle and loooove her.
We bought from 'snakeitup" James who is in the outer southeast of Melbourne.
We were able to see Mum and Dad and were able to pick our girl. We picked for temperament first as we wanted a nice snake for a pet. other than that i wanted something thoroughbred from good lines in case I wanted to breed in the future. James's snakes are really nice and Mum and dad are lovely temperaments as well.

My strongest advice is to try and go and see the snakes first to pick your first snake.

Also pick the snake you like the look of rather than the snake you think you should get. hubby and I love jungles and could ahve been talked out of getting one because they can be snappy.....but were were proactive and looked around before buying.

Something to be aware of...some breeders lower the temps on their snakes so they seem quiet and then when you get them home and house them at the correct temperature the true personality comes out !! I can assure you James is very genuine and his snakes are kept in pristine conditions.

'Jungles do not grow very big i think 1.5 to 2 metres....and this also attracted us to them

Good luck

Elizabeth

jungles tend to be small your lucky to get one to push 5 n a half to 6ft, some athertons can reach 8ft, doc roc is simon stone he owns souther cross reptiles which is the main sponsor of this site you will find a link on the homepage of this site

MD's are common check here or on herp trader you should be able to pick one up easily just make sure you got all the gear to house it first

how do i contact him?? website? email? phone number?
does he just have jungles?
and how many where there because im looking for the future not like this or next week, im thinking in a few months as i just got 2 beardies :)

jungles tend to be small your lucky to get one to push 5 n a half to 6ft, some athertons can reach 8ft, doc roc is simon stone he owns souther cross reptiles which is the main sponsor of this site you will find a link on the homepage of this site

MD's are common check here or on herp trader you should be able to pick one up easily just make sure you got all the gear to house it first
thanks ill have a look

southernxreptiles have md's for $220 and bredli yrlings from $250 plus $30
jungles from $3-400 soo.. might be the go but this "james" i still need to check out

southernx also has childrens from $220 many different stimsons species the cheapest at $280
but no carpets :( are all these good prices?? remember they all have +$30 to have them sent interstate

i got my 2 y/o striped coastal first, she was a little flighty for starters but once she settled in she has been great to handle and fed like a machine. i now have 2 other younger coastals and will be picking another striped coastal up in a week or so. Both of my younger coastals (4mths and yearling) i payed under $150 for but the stripes are costing a bit more ;)

my first snakes i got where 2 bredli python hatchlings very nice snakes cost me $300 for the pair wich i think is pretty cheep.when i first got them they were really bitey but have calmed down alot now and handle and feed great. i also just got a 15month old coastal male he is a bit tempermental will be fine one day can pass him round to the kids and that ...other days he wont let me near him without tryin to tag me.lol but all will be great snakes.

i got a 5 month old coastal for my first snake awsome thing has never bitten me and has never missed a feed, and just picked up a 6 month old woma from same breeder awsome snake to handle so calm and looks awsome.

my first snakes i got where 2 bredli python hatchlings very nice snakes cost me $300 for the pair wich i think is pretty cheep.when i first got them they were really bitey but have calmed down alot now and handle and feed great. i also just got a 15month old coastal male he is a bit tempermental will be fine one day can pass him round to the kids and that ...other days he wont let me near him without tryin to tag me.lol but all will be great snakes.
lol theres no such thing as a "bad" snake just not so nice ones :)

Bredli!

No, definately go with one that appeals to you the most, not necessarily the cheapest. My 1st snakes were MD's, placid as placid can be, but i've had a couple of bredli too which are exactly the same - puppy dogs. Whatever catches your eye, go for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back