Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuzza

Reaction score
Hi all I am considering getting a snake but am unsure as to what type of python to get or are there easier snakes to keep than pythons?

My first was a coastal carpet python, even thou I've got more "attractive" pythons now I still tell everyone my carpet was the best I've ever owned. When I was cleaning out the tank, my 3 year old nephew give him a kiss, sticking the carpets whole head in his mouth (yes my heart skipped a beat) but the carpet was none the wiser that he was almost eaten, and did not react in anyway... But on my earlier post stimsons seem to be good first pythons too :)

id suggest a murray darling being that they are generally good handlers and feeders and also get to a decent size

well newtolovingsnake there are other types of snake other than pythons that are non venomous. Being new to this thought i would ask. I have had others suggest the murray darling python too will look into it cheers for all the comments.

I am genuinely asking you mean by other sorts of snakes. I would have assumed that pythons were the easiest snakes to start of with and wondered what you meant...

well newtolovingsnake there are other types of snake other than pythons that are non venomous. Being new to this thought i would ask. I have had others suggest the murray darling python too will look into it cheers for all the comments.
As far as I know their are no other snakes that are not venomous and not pythons, as to what snake, what are you looking for? It really comes down to what suits you and what you find appealingGood Luck! :)

As far as I know their are no other snakes that are not venomous and not pythons, as to what snake, what are you looking for? It really comes down to what suits you and what you find appealingGood Luck! :)

Green Tree Snake?

greentreesnake_rd.jpg

And the only other one I can think of that is readily available in Australia is a corn snake, and they are an exotic and therefore illegal.

d3pro- i had thought of that but would have assumed that they definately wouldnt be easier to look after than a python, Not that i have any personal experience of any sort with them.

Actually I think there are a few snakes, other then pythons, that are native, that are not venomous...
Meh lol... buy a collete

really?? the ony non vens i know of are:
Big pythons: Darwin, GTP, scrubbie (not a good idea for first snake), jungle, BHP, Woma, coastal, Murray darling, Bredli diamond etc

Small pythons: Stimson, childrens,spotted, pygmy (all from same genus)

they're the most kept ones except for scrubbies (dunno how common they are kept) ohh and dont forget GTS and BTS

then you have your vens: eastern brown, RBB, YBB, marshie, whipsnake, taipans you get the picture.

its up to you whether you want a snake that goes past 4-5ft or one that gets to 2-2.5ft look around dont just buy the first one you see, get your permit (if needed) and when you decide what one you want have a bigger enclosure setup with heating, substrate etc.

ok thanks for the input people will do some more research. but from what is being said around here people have a soft spot for the md python

Keelbacks are also non-venomous (last time I checked)
Tho they like emitting an "interesting" odor when handled lol

Keelbacks are also non-venomous (last time I checked)
Tho they like emitting an "interesting" odor when handled lol

See shows how much I know! I had always assumed that they were vens! Only ever really looked into pythons.

Cant imagine the odour would make for an enjoyable handling experience :D

I am not looking for a snake that gets huge but something that generally will be able to be handled and relatively easy to look after. Also is age a factor for ease of handling and are parents temperaments at all a guide?

Last edited:
MDs get quite big. you might be better of going for a stimson, spotted or childrens. They are smaller and from what I hear the majority are easy handlers. it all comes down to what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back