Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of our pythons are pretty easy to keep. Colubrids can be a bit tricky to look after, and you certainly dont want an elapid :D
The best Carpets I think to begin with are Inlands and Bredls, these guys are as bulletproof as snakes get, the stay under 8ft and are usually great feeders and handlers. If you want something a bit smaller, go for a Mac, Childrens or Stimsons.
This may help you decide. http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

i have a stimson and shes a gem...but there is the exception, the Ant. family make good first timer snakes and i can recommend places in adelaide...if that is your location, other than that i cant help

wouldn't colubrids require a slightly larger enclosure due to them being more active? or at least that's what i've been told...

Here's a few things to consider (things that I had to consider as i've just recently gone through what you are going through in picking a snake:

Is this your first snake........... Or is it going to be your ONLY snake?

If it's your first snake, go for something recommended and then add to your collection as you get more confident. If it's your ONLY snake, trust your instinct. If I had have chosen what I was told to pick, I would have ended up with a python that I found a little too boring for me, the more research I did, the more I felt that it didn't suit what end product I wanted. I picked a so called "no no" (a Jungle) and honestly, I couldn't be happier. He isn't proving to be NEAR the challenge I thought and I bought him from a line that has shown minimal snappiness (that can be more common in Jungles) and has been a pleasure! I wanted him for his colour and personality and I feel I've made the choice that was right for me.

I went back and forth pro's and con's with 90% of the pythons available and my instinct kept pointing me in one direction.

Trust your instinct and pick the one that is your favourite. Then start looking for a hatchling that has been handled, shed and fed successfully. Dont' be afraid to ask lots of questions of the breeder, it's the only way to make sure that the young snake you are buying will be the best one for you.

Best of luck - be sure to share what you get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back