Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha Dave I was told 10 years ago that if you had to take a bite an adder would be the choice. The idea was due to the neurotoxicity of the venom, lacking in other 'dirty' venom properties. After the stories like yours that i've heard i'll stick to no envenomation as my preference.......

Someone was killed by a whip snake last year in Victoria

dont know him personally but know heaps of people who did. Alergy. Would have been better being tagged by a tiger or brown. Unlucky

Thanks Punja. Very unluky indeed. Was he a member here, or just people here knew him? I remember when it happened it was a bit sensitive.

Whip Snake Death

April '07 bloke died from bite of Little Whip Snake at Mt Alexander [near Castlemaine] Vic.
Weather or not it was 'vein bite' or 'anaphalaxis' matters not, end result the same. Had he not been bitten, would probably still be with us. In an earlier post, a certain member from 'New York' stated that 'there had been several deaths from LWS at Mt Alexander' but could not prove it! I have lived in the district for the last 50 yrs, keeping herp for 40 an was an Ambulance Paramedic for the last 32 yrs. {Retired July '07] I have only ever heard of the April 07 death, would have heard of others had they occurred!

Den
I was also lead to believe this myself and just the other day I was reading the same information from a respected scientific site which covered their venoms components.
It would very interesting to see what David Williams has got to say about it.

oh how horrible :*(

and mr punja are u saying that you would have more of a chance of surviving if u got bitten by highly venomous snake than if you had a alergic reaction ?

although i am a long way off actually owning a ven i would love to do any available courses..

especialy after seing that scaleless adder,

Elapids are where I want to go eventually. RBBS are pretty neat too and from encounters in the bush seem to have a pretty layed back attitude :) Is it possible to keep copperheads in NSW?

A friend of mine was describing his bite from a small desert death adder.
He nearly died and woke up in hospital with blood coming out of nearly every orifice.
I never got to ask him if this included his butt hole, what a horrible thought.

When your blood thins and does not clot, you bleed from ALL your orifices, eyes, nose, mouth and both downstairs ones.

G'day guys,

On the "first elapid" topic, my opinion is everyone should start with either a Red Belly, Collett or Spotted Black. They teach the basics of tailing, head restraints and other problems that arise in captivity such as feeding responses. Adders are fantastic to keep, and would make great first elapids if nothing ever went wrong - unfortunately things do go wrong, and this is when they become very dangerous. Death Adders are probably the hardest species to head restrain correctly, as they have incredibly mobile fangs, are prone to "death rolling" under the pinner and breaking their own necks, and pulling out of a keepers grip thanks to their "flexible" jaw and skull structure. Many a keeper has been bitten while head restraining an Adder.

With regards to the blood thinning/orifice bleeding situation, I know of one famous bite from an Alice Springs Western Brown Snake. The guy who was bitten had had a shave that morning, and actually started to bleed from all the tiny little cuts in his face that you normally wouldn't notice. He also bled from his eyes, ears, nose, gums and everywhere else too.

Spotted black, for those who are unsure. This is the 'blue belly' or straight black phase. The can range from this to speckled with off-white to redish spots.

Last edited:
i would much rather bleed out of my butt than my eyes!!!! but i have a phobia of anything with my eyes like eyedrops.

back on topic... i would love to get into elapids. RBBS and adders would be a fav.

glad you pointed out the adder problem jonno, having had to help a few juvies with their early feeds i concur that they are a little difficult to handle...
swaddo, my first elapid was a copperhead, and yes you can keep them, but good luck with finding them, and if you do be prepared for the misery they can bring (they tend to die easy!)...

My main drive to do the ven handling course is to keep RBBS. As far as I can see this snake is suffering in the wild due to cane toads, habitat loss and people killing them on sight.

They are a beautiful snake and one that needs our assistance. People may say that they aren't endangered at present. That may be correct but it is much easier to preserve an animal before it becomes endangered.

I plan on getting 2 elapids a red bellie and an eastern tiger. but i will be waiting until we done having kids and our youngest child is at school.my mrs keeps saying NO WAY but she said the same thing about pythons :)

As for adders... Anything with the word DEATH in its name i think i'll give it a miss ;) even though i do think they are an awsome animal .....

another 3 years i will be able to do courses and get my class 2 for elipads. cant wait

are there ever any ven handling courses in sydney?

I'd love to get some RBB's, Tigers, and Easter small eyed snakes. The small eyed snake in the new Reptiles Australia mag is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back