Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome spotted black Den, they are my favourite Elapid species, are the hard to keep or pretty much like the same as a python but alot more dangerous

They eat and crap a lot more

LOL, The only difference is you feed them a smaller food item than you would a python. The husbandry requirments are the same.

I think one day that I would like a RBBS or BBBS but adders do grab as well......so many to choose from...I think I will build up my harmless collection first though :)

A pair of Eastern Browns would be nice but I haven't got the facilities to house them safely at the moment.
A Little whip snake would be nice aswell
Is anyone breeding them?

Per

Adder's are a good 'hook sitter', although keep in mind, they are very "cute" but deceiving. They will strike straight up without warning and with lightning speed. An adder was one of my first, very inviting.....

Collett's are top little blacks, getting hard to find. Hopefully more will become available in the near future.

Colletts are fantastic snakes. How things go in a complete circle though. I gave up breeding them about 12 years ago because they were that common I couldn't even get $50 for a hatchling! Now they seem rare as anything in captivity

I reccomend black snakes as first timers...there much more prettier.
Although i must say my tamest elapid would have to be my 2 year old eastern brown(in avartar), even my python loving wife handles him, but she wont handle any of my others.

so voodoo you free handle your eastern brown! arent u at all scared of the risk involved....

LOL, The only difference is you feed them a smaller food item than you would a python. The husbandry requirments are the same.

I find myself cleaning out their cages 2-3 times a week, compared to once every 1-2 weeks for pythons.

Who ever mentioned it, the tiger snake in my avatar isn't mine, but I hope I can get a tiger as black as that, eventually. I've seen pictures of blue tigers as well, and I'll definitely look for them. Also, can you own brown tree snakes on a recreational licence?

oh how horrible :*(

and mr punja are u saying that you would have more of a chance of surviving if u got bitten by highly venomous snake than if you had a alergic reaction ?

thats what I had heard. There are APS members who knew him, they might be able to shed some light.

Didn't realise the adders rolled! Now that I know I'll be much more careful while pinning and restraining. I've had to head retrain both my Adders a number of times, had to force feed one and very big number of times... :rolleyes::rolleyes: I havn't had either roll but I know holding them by their head is much more difficult and nerv raking then the others. In a way you got to love the way they can move them fangs

are there ever any ven handling courses in sydney?

Try and get in contact with Shane Black. His an amazing handler and keeper. Knowing Shane, he'd probably show you the basics for a slab of VB, lol. But he usually tries to talk people out of keeping dangerous elapids. Seriously though, if your lucky enough for him to show you, you couldnt find a better teacher.

i would love to do some courses later on but i want also too keep elapidaes in the near future. I like the browns species such as the eastern brown since i have had an encounter with 1 or 2.

I'd like to keep a RBB at some point up the line but ideally I'd prefer someone to dicover a
Python with the colouration of a RBB.

i cant wait untill july this year i can finally up grade my licence i already have a pair of collets and rbbs on order so hopefully will get these

i cant wait untill july this year i can finally up grade my licence i already have a pair of collets and rbbs on order so hopefully will get these

how can you do that...it says in your thingy your only 16...I thought the min age was 18 years old, and you must have held a basic license for min 2 year....then move onto class 2

tann-mann its wrong i just dont know how to change it lol and ive had my basic licence for 3 years now

I find myself cleaning out their cages 2-3 times a week, compared to once every 1-2 weeks for pythons.

For sure Jozz, i'm used to cleaning Aspidites cages bi-weekly, they have alot in common with elapids......Lots to clean and a physcotic feeding response. Most of the Collett's i've kept work themselves into a frenzy at the slightest smell of a mouse. Most times biting their own tails as they tail flick in excitment!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back