Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like the get vens, but I have to wait until I'm 18 to get the proper license.

I'd be mainly interested in keeping Red Belly Blacks, Tigers, Adders, King Brown, and maybe a few Tai's eventually.

i think the problem with not having as many people keeping elapids these days is it is hard to find anyone willing to teach us unexperienced herpers on how to safely manage them.

it is one thing moving them round with a hook, which many can do, or be easily taught. but as far as keeping them and having to head grab and tail them which is undeniably going to need to be done at some stage, that is a whole different ball game. that and getting the stat decs to get your licence.

i have approached a few keepers of elapids but none are yet up to the challenge to show me the ropes, obviously the dangers and risk of having an inexperienced person bitten out weigh the desire to teach. Jonno has his course for experienced handlers ,but for obvious reasons he needs to be cautious as his business is in the line if something goes wrong.

How have all of the elapid keepers on here gained the needed skills? self taught?

I found that tiger snake picture on Google. Very nice picture. Anyway, Ozzie Python, why can't experienced handlers teach unexperienced handlers with pythons? Obviously this won't help with adders, but still. That way newbies can get a handle on it, and then try some non-deadly species, like pale-headeds or anything the like. Then they can move onto some harder things.

notechistiger, that exact question came up at the relocation course with jonno. the general response from people there that had any elapid experience is that pythons and elapids don't act in the same way.

i can head grab any of my pythons, but i sure as hell am not going to grab a ven and try it. Being taught the correct and safe ways (for both yourself and the snake) to get hands on with any elapid should be taught, particularly if your going to keep elapids.

I would imagine most people on aps would be comfortable head grabbing any of their pythons, and the python's would probably tolerate it to some point as they have more human contact. Now how many people who have practiced with their python do you think would get bitten the first one or two times they tried to grab an elapid? I would think quite a few. Being a little nervous could be the difference between a successful head grab and successfully pumping your hand full of venom.

The last thing our hobby needs is a bunch of people laying in hospital because they thought they could do something they shouldn't have been trying in the first place.

I think the most important thing with keeping them (not that I do - but I plan to) is knowing what your options are if a bite ever occurs. Death Adders, tiapans and the like, are "exotic" species when it comes to states such as Victoria, yet are readily availible for purchase. "IF" a bite should occur, your choices of seeking "effective" medical assistance can be compromised serverely, as not every hospital in Victoria has the need to stock these specific anti-venoms.

I believe that even though you'll get some weird looks from hospital staff in relation to this, I think it's imperitive that you notify your nearest hospital about the certain "exotic" species you plan to keep and whether they have the ability to handle a situation should it ever arise. JMO - safety first, as always.

ozzie p... i learnt from watching harry butler on tv! which makes me pretty much self taught, as would be many venomous keepers....
i am very glad i kept venomous species prior to the amnesty (nsw) as it seems quite difficult these days to get the license.. i personally would not let anyone learn with my animals...

ozzie p... i learnt from watching harry butler on tv! which makes me pretty much self taught, as would be many venomous keepers....
i am very glad i kept venomous species prior to the amnesty (nsw) as it seems quite difficult these days to get the license.. i personally would not let anyone learn with my animals...

I would love to see you tell EPA that if you were applying for your licence.

My point exactly, you can't just go out in the bush and start picking up every elapid you see. But at the same time no-one is going to risk their collection being taken off them if one of their snakes bites someone other than the licenced keeper. There must be an easier way to gain enough experience these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back