Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As said by the experienced keepers who actually keep/breed GTPs, they are no harder to keep than any other reptile. Although I personally in your case would get one which is at least 6months+ old.

Only problems I see here is that you are 14 which I assume means you are most probably without a job and/or don't have the correct license to purchase one?

Correct me if I'm wrong, and if so then by all means go get one; and snakeluvver some of your posts have been very inaccurate, so before you try to tell someone which snake to buy please do some research.

let us know how u go...this thred has some good points etc in it! good read!~

My parents don't mind me having one in the house. They wouldn't like to touch it thought :)
Being a mum myself, and knowing that you are 14, I would, with all due respect to you, like to know your response :D

I have to pay for it. i make my money from my photography.
Not if his mum won't pay for it :lol:

I agree with zuesowns, becoming a good keeper comes from experience, not just book knowledge. And at 14, I can imagine this young fella's research has been mostly Google-based, so reading through Watterat's thread on essential GTP info and investing in some good books (Mike Swan etc.) would be a good start. A GTP would be an unfortunate investment to make any newbie husbandry mistakes on, like not covering light cages or securing enclosure doors are shut properly!

If you were my kid, and it was me buying the GTP, I'd definitely be telling you to get a carpet for a year or two first, and keep planning/saving for the GTP...

Paid photographer at 14? Fair enough....

What about licensing snakes123? What state are you in?

to all the people who are saying that GTP is not a beginner snake. can i ask why?
I personally dont own any, but my uncle does a lot of work overseas and one and a half years ago (give or take) bought two GTP's that were only 3 months old (I'm terrible with chronology, so forgive my inaccuracy, they are roughly two years old). when he goes away for any extended periods, i am charged with the care of his animals. in my (albeit limited) experience, the only difference ive noticed between GTP's and children's pythons is that they need a couple of sprays every other day. he keeps them in his old childrens python enclosures and the temps are the same as what he had the childrens at and he feeds them just as regularly. disinfects once a month still and has the same sized water bowls but moved under the light instead of on the cool side. (keeping in mind these are not yet fully grown GTPS). i am fully aware of the risk of prolapse being a factor, but no matter how experienced you are, the risk of this remains the same and the response would be the vet in both experienced and beginner keepers. the tail is fragile and you need to be very delicate when dealing with younger gtps, but once they are a couple of years old they seem to be a lot tougher.
I have known plenty of people to keep GTP's in tubs with heat cord and a water bowl with some dowel and never have any problems.
My advice mate, get a snake you like. especially if you are only going to have one, then get your dream one. do your research, find a good breeder whos willing to give you a hand if you need advice and forget the people who dont like the idea of someone younger than them owning a GTP. just make sure you're ready before you buy it.

Snake 123 have u every kept other reps I no u haven't kept snakes but have u kept lizards frogs or turtles . Agian read more complete chondro that's what I read b4 getting mine it has many different opions for cage setups . Contact urs they give u good advice and have good priced gtp only problem I'd all they gave is hatchlings and u would be better off with one slightly older if u get an older one u may miss the colour change I would be shattered if I missed my babies change

if you know whats involved. and know what you want I say do it. its better to get want you really want then to get " well this will do for now". reptiles have a long life span so get something your prepared to live with... best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back