Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest

Reaction score
Here we go again... another robbery

Just had a call from my flatmate (as you do at 5.30am lol)... he just heard on the news that a woman here in Hewitt, SA, was home invaded last night and had her 9 GTPs stolen... her and her son were apparently bound and held at gunpoint while they took them. Again, someone knew exactly what they were after and where to find them. Thankfully I don't think either the lady or her son were hurt.... but as Marc would know, how devastating.... :cry: :cry: :x :x

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200610/s1755783.htm
wow Print Email
Last Update: Wednesday, October 4, 2006. 10:43pm (AEST)
Family tied up in armed snake robbery

South Australian police are investigating a bizarre armed robbery from a house in north Adelaide, in which 12 valuable, one-year-old snakes were stolen at gunpoint.
Police say a woman answered her front door to be confronted by a man holding a black pistol in the outer northern suburb of Hewitt about 2:30pm ACST.
He demanded 12 non-poisonous green-tree snakes, worth $9,000 dollars each, that were being kept in the house.
After placing the snakes in a duffel bag, the man tied the woman and her two children up before leaving.
Police are looking for the man, aged in his 30s, with a solid build and a deep voice.
He had a dark coloured goatee beard and wore dark blue trousers and a shirt.
He was also wearing a brown broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses.

This is getting beyond pathetic. There is some real losers out there!! :(

Thanks ssssnakeman, I was just going to say I heard a different report on another station that said it was 12 x 80cm GTPs....

It's a sad world we live in :(

It doesn't matter what security system you have it doesn't stop a man with a gun. As has been said it's a very sad world we live in. :-(

That wasn't the only one, someone broke into a house and stole a 9 yr old's blue tongue yesterday too. Pathetic low lifes. I hope someone catches them

crumbs. armed robbery of snakes.

whatever happened to people just stealing jewellery and tvs.

really raises questions about the risks of having a valuable collection i guess.

This is getting bad, what do they think they are going to do with these snakes. No one with a licence would buy them so there goes most of your market, where do they plan to sell them.

blackmarket, or even keep them himself ... makes me think of getting taipans and painting them green and call them pythons if anyone breaks in to steal them ill gladly unlock the enclosure for them :D

I won't comment about the common theft here compared to NZ for fear of upsetting you Aussies. Rest assured it is a little disappointing - as an example when I flew over here from NZ for this job interview..I was in the interveiw for 90 minutes and when I came out my best mates car I had borrowed had been broken into and my wallet and cell were gone!

The best thing is it was in the work carpark...and my best mate works here!!

that's just plain ***** :( there's nothing i hate more than thieves.... i hope they find them and that they are ok and the perpetrators are given the maximum possible penalty for it.

Not to be nit-picky but aren't there a few editorial errors in that commentry... for one.. I wouldn't pay $9000 for a green tree snake, maybe a GTP!!! Secondly, all snakes are non-poisonous... Some are venomous... but that doesn't make them poisonous (hehe - im in a bad mood obviously - hate hearing about animals being stolen - any animal!).

Surely to sell these pythons there must be some sort of process to go through... or are they all pre-sold??? It makes me sick that people do this for money, and not the love and passion of snakes.

To be honest, if that guy stole them and kept them for himself I could 'understand' it. But it's all greed. Makes me sick sick sick sick... Hence the bad mood.

Well, the next wish I make is that those 12 GTP are returned alive and unharmed. The man who stole them is jailed for 15 years and dirty things happen to him and his bottom and then finally one of his finger nails gets festy.

Up yours theif!

put them it a room full of hungry brown snakes and copper heads black bellys and cover them in rat sent!!! Bast$$ds!!! poor family!!

It is not hard to fudge permits/licences for illegally obtained snakes. all you need to know is someone with a pair and write them up as stock that has been bred. Alot of people also keep there permoits for animals that have died, just incase one falls into there lap.

And slimy... I think you are being a bit nit picky. I hope that all the animals get returned in a healthy state. But something tells me that that wont be happening.

9 year olds blue tongues

That wasn't the only one, someone broke into a house and stole a 9 yr old's blue tongue yesterday too. Pathetic low lifes. I hope someone catches them

Yeah that's right. They stole the 9 years olds blue tongue and his mum's violin that was dated at 1760 was taken from their Port Melbourne house. The violin alone would have beenw orth $$$$$$$$$$$ and probably covered by insurance. The bluey however would not have been covered. The poor kid had everything done right in his tank set-up. All prefect and now his herping hoppy has been ruined.

This sucks big time. This is not herp people taking this course of action. This would be poachers keeping an eye on who has what animals and then taking them and shipping them off on the black market. To resort to gun toting thuggery they need to be hung if caught.:twisted:

I won't comment about the common theft here compared to NZ for fear of upsetting you Aussies. Rest assured it is a little disappointing - as an example when I flew over here from NZ for this job interview..I was in the interveiw for 90 minutes and when I came out my best mates car I had borrowed had been broken into and my wallet and cell were gone!

The best thing is it was in the work carpark...and my best mate works here!!

Aweee Kiwi.... the amount of times my car got broken into or stolen really doesn't add up to my 'pets' going walkies with another owner without my consent.... Well, atleast you didn't keep your GTPs in your car then... lucky (not to mention the fact that if they were in NZ you'd be having troubles with customs as well as the police... which brings me to my next question.. I wonder if anyone has inadvertantly, or on purpose, ever imported a snake illegally into NZ???) Not hijacking this thread.. just thinking while typing... Go catch those ********$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back