Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This depends on what you refer to as 'handling' do you mean with a snake hook? Tailing? or free handling? or what ever other method you would like.

All are very different methods and also depend on the species

Ben

leave it to the pro's - my opinion.
yea but ya gotta start at the bottom to become a pro....

when im handling my water python i treat him like he's hot.. 1, because he's kranky and 2, because its good training for when i do get ven's..

Last edited:
Don't bother, their behaviour doesn't correlate even in the slightest.

I was a pro within a day of doing a course. Jumping in the deep end is the only way to do it!

yea but ya gotta start at the bottom to become a pro....

when im handling my water python i treat him like he's hot.. 1, because he's kranky and 2, because its good training for when i do get ven's..

if ur unhappy with ur life sure handel them but if u have kids or a misses or boyfriend i dont think it would be smart enless u had anti venem lol

anti venom should only be administered by medical professionals upon positive result in a venom detection kit test and with the provision of life support.

Don't bother, their behaviour doesn't correlate even in the slightest.

I was a pro within a day of doing a course. Jumping in the deep end is the only way to do it!
i agree jumping in at the deep end.... but im only still a bit of a noobie to snakes.. i had a great fear of them untill 2yrs ago.. now ive got 7 pythons so while my water is totally different from elapids it dosent hurt to do some training on him just to learn better skills of handling without being tagged,, mr water loves the cheap shots..lol

Thing is though, you can't stop a python coming back on themselves if you tail them because of their body and muscles. But if you know how to do, most elapids are pretty easy.

i agree jumping in at the deep end.... but im only still a bit of a noobie to snakes.. i had a great fear of them untill 2yrs ago.. now ive got 7 pythons so while my water is totally different from elapids it dosent hurt to do some training on him just to learn better skills of handling without being tagged,, mr water loves the cheap shots..lol

Everybody seems to forget the elapids like Simoselaps, Vermicella, Brachyurophis, etc :p. Burrowing placid snakes that have trouble biting and next to no real effect when they do so. :p

Personally I would love to hold some of the milder elapids (whips snakes, Furina's, etc.) but never any of the Pseudonaja, Pseudechis, Notechis, etc. groups. That said I would love to do a handling course which included these sorts of species, I think it would be a great experience and whether you are going to be a relocater or not the understanding of these snakes even through just a two day course could turn out invaluable.

I love those Brachyurophis Geck. Stunning snakes, especially the Australian Coral.

When i say pro i'm not saying i was good at it, just that it became my profession very quickly lol.

I love my pythons but have no desire at all, ever, to handle or keep anything that has the potential to cause me any sort of injury other than teeth marks.

well, from experience, talking about handling vens gets you flamed, so im staying out if this
they only flame because they havent got the balls,respect,and knowledge to do it themselves and are prob jealous of those who can and do handle them..

I have had a few occasions of dugites and a couple with tigers being caught up in bird netting and in one instace a fishing net,. Not handling in some manner is impossible in these situations, I like to tube the heads if I can and if not the head hold while the net is cut away.
Must use one hand only though as the I don't want to spill the beer.

they only flame because they havent got the balls,respect,and knowledge to do it themselves and are prob jealous of those who can and do handle them..

Often people flame because the comments are stupid and if taken seriously could lead to someone making a dumb mistake and possibly ending up dead.
I Vaguely remembers Lizardbois thread and there was some silly comments that needed to be shot down.

yea i guess you have a valid point there, i havent been on this fourm long nor have i been keeping reptiles that long, 14months to be exact, but im learning who to take seriously and who not too. but after some of the comments and questions ive red on here id hate to be their reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back