Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglelove

Reaction score
just thought id put it out there for the newbies it seems that when they ask for help there seems to be a lot of insults flying back at them for their mistake.

im sure we have all had these teething problems b4 that is how we learn and then teach others. It is through trial and error that we learn.

for me i didnt close a cage proply and lost a snake for 2 days, did it again but lucky this one was bigger and its hard to miss a 8ft snake in the lounge room!! lol

the first time i fed my big guy 8kg carpet he struck out side of his cage half way and i couldnt get him back in so i had to wait for ages until he finished eating so i could close the door.

dont use heat matts they just keep getting hotter and hotter 47degrees plus! no burns tho.

so far that is it for me hopefully i dont get into any sticky situations with my babies but things happen :)

my childrens python escapes lol he doesn't go very far he just cruises around and tries to climb on my bed lol
he's done that about 5 or 6 times lol out of my 8 snakes he's the only one that does it!
oh yeah my coastal got out for the fist time few months back and i just found him chillin on my pillows on the bed

just thought id put it out there for the newbies it seems that when they ask for help there seems to be a lot of insults flying back at them for their mistake.

im sure we have all had these teething problems b4 that is how we learn and then teach others. It is through trial and error that we learn.

for me i didnt close a cage proply and lost a snake for 2 days, did it again but lucky this one was bigger and its hard to miss a 8ft snake in the lounge room!! lol

the first time i fed my big guy 8kg carpet he struck out side of his cage half way and i couldnt get him back in so i had to wait for ages until he finished eating so i could close the door.

dont use heat matts they just keep getting hotter and hotter 47degrees plus! no burns tho.

so far that is it for me hopefully i dont get into any sticky situations with my babies but things happen :)
theres nothing wrong with heat matts when used in the right way ;)
when ever one of my snakes lung out when grabbing there food i just pick them up [ they are too busy tryingto kill there thawed out rodent ] and put them back in ......
i have found a lot of new pepole will ask the same " help question" that many other pepole have asked - and answered . a simple search would 9 times out of 10 answer there question - rather then making another thread about the same thing .

I have made 2 major mistakes..... The first was not checking that my Daughter had closed the enclosure properly and my girl Whisper escaped and is still AWOL her cage mate at the time didnt bother leaving he just stayed in his Hut. The second was fastening my thermometer display to the inside of the enclosure by the sticky square provided it was never an issue till 12 months later when I put a new hatchling in there and it fell off and stuck to her head :oops: she lost some skin but got over it by the next shed. We all make mistakes it is how we learn, you can read volumes of information but it wont make you mistake proof we just need to make sure we learn by them :)

A couple of things to mention already - sanosuke, most keepers who respect and value their animals would ensure that the first escape was the last. One day you will lose your Children's forever - you might even tread on it when it's on one of it's regular outings. Foolish indeed.

Secondly, junglelove... our animals cannot afford the costs of us learning "by trial and error." If you keep animals, you learn what you need to know before you get them... but this seems rare these days. Fundamental to the welfare of any animal is a secure enclosure or yard. If an animal escapes more than once, you are not being a responsible keeper/pet owner.

Jamie

All of the above posts & most probably all the still to come ones are true & great examples of mistakes we make.

My mistakes are far too many to put on here & would make me look pretty silly, but they are mistakes that a lot of us make & if we are smart enough we learn from them.
My knowledge of keeping reptiles has magnified at least 10 fold by learning from my own mistakes & others.
I have been very fortunate to meet some very nice intelegent people in the hobby & by talking to them & learning from these forums i have learned heaps & i think that i am a friendly enough guy to pass info on to others & help where i can or my knowledge permits.
I am still learning everyday, but hope that i don't make the same silly mistakes again.

Cheers
Ian

I do everything right including stuffing up.

People (esp newbies) ask Q's on forums as sometimes they wouldnt have a clue were to look. People on forums love to express themselves. Human nature steps in and it is almost a scene from from childhood days,
OP- "How do I. . . ?"
respondent "Ever tried Google" (this will get a few likes).
OP- "yes but I wasnt sure what I needed to know"
respondent no 2 " obviously . . . isnt for you, you dont know what it's about and then you get on here and expect people to help you"
this last response will usually get a few agreed responses and a couple of likes, and then it begins.
Newbie is like ***, maybe even a little taken back especially as it takes some people to work up the courage.
Every body likes to express their opinions only some people can be quite righteously aggressive.They are often not helpfull but more like roosters strutting around the pen "look how good I am".

Last edited by a moderator:
I should point out that, of course, I have made many "mistakes" myself in the past 50 years. These were way before the internet and the truly amazing access to info which is available today. The more complex husbandry things, which don't actually involve life & death matters for your reptiles. are far less of a concern than the indifference to life-threatening things like regular escapes, as demonstrated by the second poster here.

There are fundamental welfare principles which apply to any animal you keep. If you don't address those from the outset, you probably won't have your animals long enough to bother with the finer points of reptile husbandry.

Jamie

A couple of things to mention already - sanosuke, most keepers who respect and value their animals would ensure that the first escape was the last. One day you will lose your Children's forever - you might even tread on it when it's on one of it's regular outings. Foolish indeed.

Secondly, junglelove... our animals cannot afford the costs of us learning "by trial and error." If you keep animals, you learn what you need to know before you get them... but this seems rare these days. Fundamental to the welfare of any animal is a secure enclosure or yard. If an animal escapes more than once, you are not being a responsible keeper/pet owner.

Jamie

lol ill' take this into consideration

The long-term welbeing of your reptile depends on you doing just that... but I see you think it's a laughing matter!

Jamie

yep because he hasn't got out in a long time :)
oh i should've mentioned i have prevented him from escaping lol
im just goin to assume you are a professional breeder/reptile keeper?
make a thread to help us newbies out :) please

Last edited:
whats even funnier about that kam is alot of inexperienced folk actually jump on the band wagon and say the same thing,eg try search,google ect ect,some questions do get asked alot though,and sometimes the same questions had an identical thread on the same page

why there needs to be ten posters on some threads saying check google though i do not know,and if it irratates folk so much u have to wonder why they bother looking at the thread let alone responding to it to begin with

alot of folk mention promoting reptiles to the general public,possable newbies to the hobby,yet someone asks a question and can sometimes cop some abuse over it

funny way of promiting reptiles if u ask me,everyone has started out,they should remember that instead of being so high and mighty,or attempting to come off as so high and mighty

the old if u havnt got anything nice to say,dont say anything at all

these forums are about reptiles arent they,for EVERYONE to learn from

back on topic,yes made plenty of mistakes,every one has,some just wont admit it

Hi there young man sanosuke

PLEASE don't insult the intelligence of a man such as Pythoninfinite

Obviously you have never experienced that gut wrenching sick feeling when you find an empty cage

Go ahead and laugh it off and may you experience that "sick in the gut feeling"

Cheers
Sandee :)

yep because he hasn't got out in a long time :)
oh i should've mentioned i have prevented him from escaping lol
im just goin to assume you are a professional breeder/reptile keeper?
make a thread to help us newbies out :) please

No, I'm not a professional breeder, but I've been keeping reptiles, birds, dogs and other animals for a long time. Despite the tone of my response to you, it contains advice fundamental to the welfare of any captive animal, even our domestic pets, so there is good advice for newbies contained therein. However, any "newbie" reading your first post in this thread would probably think that regular escapes are a funny part of reptile keeping. The single biggest threat is to the animal itself - it could easily come to grief in your home, it could fall victim to cats or dogs outside, or a neighbour could cut it in half with a shovel if he finds it in his garage...

I'm glad you finally fixed the problem sansuke, but I don't see why you still think it's a laughing matter...

Jamie

whats even funnier about that kam is alot of inexperienced folk actually jump on the band wagon and say the same thing,eg try search,google ect ect,some questions do get asked alot though,and sometimes the same questions had an identical thread on the same pagewhy there needs to be ten posters on some threads saying check google though i do not know,and if it irratates folk so much u have to wonder why they bother looking at the thread let alone responding to it to begin withalot of folk mention promoting reptiles to the general public,possable newbies to the hobby,yet someone asks a question and can sometimes cop some abuse over itfunny way of promiting reptiles if u ask me,everyone has started out,they should remember that instead of being so high and mighty,or attempting to come off as so high and mightythe old if u havnt got anything nice to say,dont say anything at allthese forums are about reptiles arent they,for EVERYONE to learn fromback on topic,yes made plenty of mistakes,every one has,some just wont admit it
1+

Obviously you have never experienced that gut wrenching sick feeling when you find an empty cage

Cheers
Ohhh gosh I never want to experience it ever again :( but your so right it is a gut wrenching sick to the stomach feeling.... It is the hardest lesson I have learned thus far :( I wouldnt wish it on any-one. I cannot stress strongly enough for Newbies to check latches/locks etc even if they appear to be closed double check specially if Children are involved... We had a dodgy clip and even though I supervised the putting of the snake back, I failed to check the clip properly after my Daughter put her snake away :( I am probably over the top now, but I truly am heartbroken over our escapee :( and worry about her endlessly

No, I'm not a professional breeder, but I've been keeping reptiles, birds, dogs and other animals for a long time. Despite the tone of my response to you, it contains advice fundamental to the welfare of any captive animal, even our domestic pets, so there is good advice for newbies contained therein. However, any "newbie" reading your first post in this thread would probably think that regular escapes are a funny part of reptile keeping. The single biggest threat is to the animal itself - it could easily come to grief in your home, it could fall victim to cats or dogs outside, or a neighbour could cut it in half with a shovel if he finds it in his garage...

I'm glad you finally fixed the problem sansuke, but I don't see why you still think it's a laughing matter...

Jamie

thanks lol
sorry have the habit of sayin lol :(
and its not meant to be mean

Cheers

lol i was not insulting anyone
if they thought i was then they should say something not you lol
sorry for laughiing

lol maybe i should stop browsing this site while im FLy!!

Last edited:
I think the problem is people that have no idea what they are talking about (but have huge egos and think they do) ask questions but don't like to listen to the answer unless it's what they wanted to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back