Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love talking reptiles to people but when I'm asked which forum they should go to to ask questions I can't recommend this one. I love this forum it is by far my favorite but when I need help I go to another because I don't need the crap you cop for asking questions here.
Yes there are a lot of very experienced people here but that doesn't give them the right to blast you for asking question. Of course most of the people offering advise are not like this but there are some.
Oh and my biggest mistake other than admitting I use another forum from time to time is under estimating the ability of a stimi to escape.

Ha! Stimmis live under rocks mostly, so they have a remarkable ability to flatten out and squeeze through very small gaps - especially the gap between sliding glass fronts... been there done that :(!

Jamie

iv made heaps of mistakes with my first snake. none of which i am proud about. i thought i knew what i was getting myself into. i spent months and months reading up on snakes and what they needed in their enclosures and all that jazz..but at the end of the day no animal is ever going to do exactly as the books say because they are all individuals. just like babies. none of them flipping go by the books i swear!

i have had heaps of helpful advice from you guys on here but at the same time iv been ridiculed for not knowing something. and nothing anyone says on here is the same as actually having someone on hand who knows what their talking about. i tried for months to understand why my snake wasnt handling. i tried everything i had read here and on the net. but in the end it was a better choice to ask my mate for help because he is able to watch they way i do things and help me like that.

I'm only a newbie myself, but so far the worst mistake I've made has cost my two Jacky Dragons their lives. I'd wanted Jacky Dragons for months, and I finally got a pair, but didn't have a uv light to fit the tank they were in yet. That was fine, I was taking them outside regularly to get some sun in a soft crate on top of the table, but one day I forgot about them while I was doing stuff, and nipped up to the shops. I came home to find one of the dogs lying on top of the crate on the ground (it was a bit windy, so I assume it the wind pushed it off the table), my Jackys squished inside it. The dogs hadn't attacked them or anything, no damage to the crate, just lay on top of it. What made it worse was that both of them were gravid, I could see the eggs that came out with their insides. I still haven't forgiven myself for that idiot mistake, and I probably never will.
If anyone on here says they've never made a mistake, I'll gladly call them a liar. Everyone makes them, and it doesn't matter how much research you do, at some point in your life, you will probably make an idiotic mistake. Hopefully it doesn't cost anyone as dearly as it did me. It doesn't make it okay, but at least if we learn from them, some good can come from them.

The biggest mistake I ever have made (and ever will) cost me the life of my first ever stimmie. It was 14 months ago now that I woke up to a terrible burning smell, ran to the reptile enclosure knowing in my gut what that smell had to be. I found my 10 month old stimmie burned to death inside his light cage. When I was composed enough I called my ex who had made and installed the cage for me to come and take it out. When he took it out I noticed a tiny hole at the very top of the cage. He said he didnt think it was a big deal when he installed it because it was so small he thought a snake wouldnt get through it (he knew nothing about reptiles, was just good at building things). I felt so guilty over this I've only just gotten a new reptile last week. This is the first time I've told anyone outside of my close friends what happened to my beautiful stimmie and I hope it helps people to never ever make the same mistake.

The biggest mistake I ever have made (and ever will) cost me the life of my first ever stimmie. It was 14 months ago now that I woke up to a terrible burning smell, ran to the reptile enclosure knowing in my gut what that smell had to be. I found my 10 month old stimmie burned to death inside his light cage. When I was composed enough I called my ex who had made and installed the cage for me to come and take it out. When he took it out I noticed a tiny hole at the very top of the cage. He said he didnt think it was a big deal when he installed it because it was so small he thought a snake wouldnt get through it (he knew nothing about reptiles, was just good at building things). I felt so guilty over this I've only just gotten a new reptile last week. This is the first time I've told anyone outside of my close friends what happened to my beautiful stimmie and I hope it helps people to never ever make the same mistake.
I feel so much for you, it would be such a very hard loss to deal with. Thank you for sharing :) hugs to you too....

I think the problem is people that have no idea what they are talking about (but have huge egos and think they do) ask questions but don't like to listen to the answer unless it's what they wanted to here.

Are you missing me Citrus ? :cry:

Every one makes mistakes, caught my stimmie half out of his enclosure once, it now has a key lock on it. Keeping reptiles indoors in a box is a relatively new past time, it's not a natural environment and mistakes are bound to be made. Forums such as these are a good place for people to learn and share ideas and experiences. Some people need to remember that no one was born being a herpetologist and we all have to start somewhere. Bagging someone for starting a post that's been done to death before doesn't help anyone let alone the OP, perhaps give a brief piece of advice and mention the existence of previous threads. If it gives you the s...ts that much don't read the thread or don't reply. The trouble with the Internet it allows people to hide behind a keyboard and say whatever they like without fear of reprisal. A lot of these flame type replies would never have been given face to face.

thanks lol
sorry have the habit of sayin lol :(
and its not meant to be mean

lol i was not insulting anyone
if they thought i was then they should say something not you lol
sorry for laughiing

lol maybe i should stop browsing this site while im FLy!!

And this is me jumping in to join the "Forumite Mongol hoard" to swarm in and cut you down. . . and the hiten mitsurugi isnt going to save you. . nah just kidding. But this show's how easy this type of thing can happen. LOL. . . according to txt language the world has become a place of laughing lunatics, it's got so bad that i will email or txt and the only reply I get is LOL. . really, like really you think walking the dog etc is funny:?

I do everything right including stuffing up.

People (esp newbies) ask Q's on forums as sometimes they wouldnt have a clue were to look. People on forums love to express themselves. Human nature steps in and it is almost a scene from from childhood days,
OP- "How do I. . . ?"
respondent "Ever tried Google" (this will get a few likes).
OP- "yes but I wasnt sure what I needed to know"
respondent no 2 " obviously . . . isnt for you, you dont know what it's about and then you get on here and expect people to help you"
this last response will usually get a few agreed responses and a couple of likes, and then it begins.
Newbie is like ***, maybe even a little taken back especially as it takes some people to work up the courage.
Every body likes to express their opinions only some people can be quite righteously aggressive.They are often not helpfull but more like roosters strutting around the pen "look how good I am".

Awww...someone get kam a bandaid for his old wound, it hasn't healed yet.

Why are people so unkind.

WHile I am no expert and have a few little follies, all I can add to the list is being lax with changing bedding every few months like I am supposed to, sometimes I've left it a little longer than that, occaisionally Ive left water to be changed for a week instead of changing it every 2nd or 3rd day. What else? Not heating enclosures enough, my Honey Jungle stopped eating for almost 2 months last year because her enclosure wasn't hot enough< I'm trying not to make the same mistake with my Darwins. Not wearing gloves when handling new snakes, had my hand mauled one time when I got my Diamond girl. I didn't blame her, she was new and hungry and could smell the feed tub before I could get her completely in there. Not taking animals to the vet as often as I should, two are sick at the moment, not my fault though. Not serious but I got them there in time I guess, not cheap either, especially when all 9 of my girls are due for checkups. People look at you weirdly when you are carrying a pile of tubs and get freaked out when they realise what you are carrying. Asking too many questions got me banned from another snake forum, God only knows why. Some douche there claimed to the admins I was someone else when I wasn't, even offered to show them my ID or have one of them call me to see I was definitely female and not some male troll. I've left enclosures open plenty of times, but for some reason my girls just stay in there, not that they could get far, they are all kept in a seperate room of the house, so if they do get out, can't wander. I've been told never to handle a snakes heads, but have done so many times to my girls to get them used to being touched there. Most of them let me do a light but firm hold with my fingers on the top of the head and under the bottom of the jaw with my forefinger and thumb. Most of my follies happened in the first few months or so, not much happening lately, but I am coming up on my first year of snake ownership. Cheers to no serious accidents!

A couple of things to mention already - sanosuke, most keepers who respect and value their animals would ensure that the first escape was the last. One day you will lose your Children's forever - you might even tread on it when it's on one of it's regular outings. Foolish indeed.

Secondly, junglelove... our animals cannot afford the costs of us learning "by trial and error." If you keep animals, you learn what you need to know before you get them... but this seems rare these days. Fundamental to the welfare of any animal is a secure enclosure or yard. If an animal escapes more than once, you are not being a responsible keeper/pet owner.

Jamie

As a zookeeper I would hate to think of the damage an escaped animal could cause (more so if it was a carnivore) however everyone will make mistakes we just have to make sure they never happen again. Always double check locks!!! and visually sight your animals when doing so.

the one and only mistake i've made was when i misjudged how much bearded dragons can flatten themselves out. mum bought a rabbit enclosure and after ensuring it was pretty much escape proof my beardie Yoda got out the front bars...i was devastated and was out looking for him til dark fell, luckily we caught him the next morning and he hasn't been in anything enclosure wise until i can afford a mesh exo terra that is secure and can't escape from

And this is me jumping in to join the "Forumite Mongol hoard" to swarm in and cut you down. . . and the hiten mitsurugi isnt going to save you. . nah just kidding. But this show's how easy this type of thing can happen. LOL. . . according to txt language the world has become a place of laughing lunatics, it's got so bad that i will email or txt and the only reply I get is LOL. . really, like really you think walking the dog etc is funny:?

i believe it will save me
Hiten misturugi style!!!

My biggest one was when I first started keeping herps, I got my first olive python (second snake) and didn't shut cage, found it two days later in my hatcho ackie enclosure,

No more ackies, fat hatchie olive though lol

Havent had a snake escape since lol

Pythoninfinite.....I have to disagree with you somewhat....sometimes no matter how carefull you are - animals excape ( whether through not closing an enclosure properly or just plain having a houdini reptile ) - THIS DOES NOT MAKE PEOPLE IRRISPONSIBLE PET KEEPERS.....and I actually take offence at you suggesting this....
We did our research before getting our reptiles - but learning about them is a continual thing...
You cannot tell me that you know everything...I know we dont...

A couple of things to mention already - sanosuke, most keepers who respect and value their animals would ensure that the first escape was the last. One day you will lose your Children's forever - you might even tread on it when it's on one of it's regular outings. Foolish indeed.

Secondly, junglelove... our animals cannot afford the costs of us learning "by trial and error." If you keep animals, you learn what you need to know before you get them... but this seems rare these days. Fundamental to the welfare of any animal is a secure enclosure or yard. If an animal escapes more than once, you are not being a responsible keeper/pet owner.

Jamie

Pythoninfinite.....I have to disagree with you somewhat....sometimes no matter how carefull you are - animals excape ( whether through not closing an enclosure properly or just plain having a houdini reptile ) - THIS DOES NOT MAKE PEOPLE IRRISPONSIBLE PET KEEPERS.....and I actually take offence at you suggesting this....
We did our research before getting our reptiles - but learning about them is a continual thing...
You cannot tell me that you know everything...I know we dont...

woohoo you tell them mrs davo! it is true. no one is perfect and no one knows everything! its really not fair to get up ppl for asking for help or for making mistakes because we're all human. we are bound to make mistakes. this is life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back