Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stripe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hello. I'm Emily, 17 and live in Melbourne. got dad to sign the application form yesterday :) so am a newbie both here and to the reptile world. veryyyy excited about getting my 1st snake! it's all I can think about haha.

am keen on getting a green tree snake. wondering if anyone has any experience with them, if they'd be good for a 1st time snake? also, is it true they smell when handled? if they do I hope it doesn't happen often.. willing to put up with it SOMETIMES, but not every time i take it out.

still open to different snakes if the GTS isn't a good 1st time one. like the look of the diamond carpet python or maybe the childrens python. we have a childrens python at school, it seemed to have a really good temperament consideringthe teenaged kids wanting to play with it all the time haha.

yepp. cya around :)

Hey Emily, welcome to the site.
its exciting getting into the reptile world. and it wont be a decision you will regret.
personally i dont think a gts would be a great choice for a first snake. i would aim for
maybe a childreni. or a murray darling, even a diamond are pretty good choice. either way, make sure you do your research so you will be fully prepeared for it.
welcome
mel

Hey Emily, welcome to the site.
its exciting getting into the reptile world. and it wont be a decision you will regret.
personally i dont think a gts would be a great choice for a first snake. i would aim for
maybe a childreni. or a murray darling, even a diamond are pretty good choice. either way, make sure you do your research so you will be fully prepeared for it.
welcome
mel

My thoughts exactly. A GTS would probably be a poor choice as a first snake. (unless you mean a GTP) :)

I wouldn't recommend a diamond as a first snake.The are less forgiving of husbandry mistakes than all the other types of carpets.

thanks for the replies!
sucks GTS's aren't good 1st times, loved the look of that little guy haha. can I ask why they're not a good 1st time snake? I had become attached to it already haha (very sad i know :p)
I'm only allowed 1, so want to make sure it is a good decision. will definitely do research before making any final choices :)

I think - and this is based on hearsay - that they are flight snakes. Generally, childrens and Murray Darlings are more amenable to handling. I suppose it really depends on if you want a snake to look at or handle.

Please get an opinion from someone who has owned a GTS before as I am only basing my opinion on what I have heard and not what I have experienced.

BTW, welcome to the site.

I wish I was in Melbourne again :(

Welcome.

GTS, IMO dont make a good first snakes. Very flighty, feeding can be a bit tedious, dont like to be handled.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome,
I got the bug not long ago. Bought a childrens. Awesome! Easy to handle, not snappy. Tolerates little kids. Doesn't smell at all. Just smell the enclosure to check if it has made a deposit. If it has give it a clean.
Enjoy

thanks for the help :) ive decided not to get a GTS now. think i'd need one that's ok with being handled..

have been reading FAQs on 1st pythons. MD, childrens or woma seem to be popular. I like the jungle python now though haha. thinking i have a serious listening problem *shakes head*

will talk to dad about it, see which one he likes.

Hi,

I just got my first snake a week and a half ago. I researched for ages, and had help from a very experienced friend. I got a little Bredli girl. She's beautiful, only 6.5 months old, so still very unsure of me (any anything else that moves), but already in a week is heaps more tolerant of me, and being held. I would highly recomend the Bredli (Centralian Carpet Python) as a first snake. I was told they are hardy and fairly easy to care for and so beautiful to look at, and so far I've made the right choice!

So good luck on your search.

Monique

My advice to you would be to buy an established snake ie. one that you know won't bite, eats well and doesn't mind being handled alot, because when you get them thats all you'll want to do. I loved the look of Jungles too when I first got into snakes about 6 years ago but then I actually saw a jungle hatchling and quickly changed my mind. I got a childrens instead which was great and boosted my confidence and knowledge.

I finally got the Jungle I always wanted about a month ago but I was well prepared for his "lovely" nature because of all the snakes I've had before him.

Good luck choosing your first snake and welcome to APS.:D

Murray Darling, Bredli, Childrens, Spotted, BHP, even a Coastal.
All of these would make a good 1st snake.

Jungles tend to be quite snappy and Womas are on an advanced licnece in Vic.

Take a look at a Bredli, they are a stunning looking python, are placid as a rule and very easy to care for.

yeah i got a little bredli boy, a bit snappy at first, but he's calming down a lot..it's noticable every day. also bredli's are pigs, so there's not usually any problems with feeding and they are very hardy and are forgiving of mistakes

here's a pic of mine:D

Last edited:
go a jungle tht arent as scary as everyone makes them out to b, it was my first sanke and he is so carm

see everyone told me to get a spotted/children/stimmy for my first, and he spends more time tryin to eat my hands then he does eating rats. im wishing i had got a older snake now hahaha...

welcome to the site :D bredli will probably be my next snake, i think they are beautiful. (or a bhp...or a woma... or a diamond...sigh...)

Welcome Stripe. Childrens, spotted pythons, murray darlings and Bredli come to mind. The Bredli is larger (up to 2.5 m). All snakes can be a bit snappy when young but the ones mentioned tend to settle quickly. As recommended do some research. Finally, find a couple of suitable types and pick the one you like best from those. Again, welcome.

dad reckons just get a jungle, cause i'm not going to get another one until im old, so may aswell get the one i want...
but I'm still open to others. guess it will depend on what stands out when I've finally got the license :)

I'm fine with being bitten, not too scared of a little pain. i let my cat bite my foot when shes playing :D guessing a snake bite hurts more, but ohwelll haha.

lol... i disgree- snake bites are like a little pinch (well at least when they are young) my rats do more damage to me then a snake ever could.... then those rats end up as snake food ;)

BTW weclome... i'm 17 too, i only got into them last year now i have 7... they are just so majestic

welcome to a wonderful forum!....

there are plenty of pics available on this site that may help you
top breeder & keepers...with knowledge you cant buy
good luck ...have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back