Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Id get rid of that sticky tape. Snakes and tape dont mix.

Have you tried just picking up his toilet roll (when he's in it of course) and letting him slither out onto your hand.

CodeRed said:
Id get rid of that sticky tape. Snakes and tape dont mix.

Have you tried just picking up his toilet roll (when he's in it of course) and letting him slither out onto your hand.

I'll be hot-melting it on this evening. I was just in a hurry to get the little buggers in their new enclosure!

I find with my two diamond hatchies if I'm ever nervous about them striking, or if they seem in a funny mood, I place my hand in the enclosure (click clack) as close to them as "safely" possible and they'll usually approach me and sense my hand with their tongue to check it out. They usually are fine when the realise I'm nothing tasty, but sometimes they take a bit longer.

So maybe just try keeping your hand still, as close as possible, and wait till ur snakie gets bored of it, then move your hand in closer, if fine then, then pick her up, and if not keep doing the same until she's no longer bothered by your hand. It just becomes part of the scenery and I don't find I have to do this long before they relax.

This has also been tested on 8 fiesty bigger (1m) pythons who were all rearing up, and although they didn't settle completely (they were hardly handled for a year), within a few minutes they stopped striking.

The key also is regular handling, as people have suggested.

Good luck, and remember warrior Bigblackdog, no fear! lol :wink:

I just went out & picked up a pair of white cotton gloves from the Chemist.
Much lighter than gardening gloves.
They offer bugger-all protection, but I know it will be enough just wearing this 'armour'.

The stupidest part is that I sport a decent collection of tattoos, but I'm jumpy around a nippy python that doesn't even break the skin!

Its funny i have 2 Coastal carpet hatchies and one is a gnarly little guy and just keeps snapping at anything that moves in his tank (he is getting better) my other one has never bitten us, she went for me once while i was adjusting her house but that was because she was getting ready to shed, mind you she only head butted my hand lol.

The Cotton Gloves work!!!
Best $2.75 I ever spent!
Even though they offer next to no extra protection, it was enough to get my mind over the line & now have no prob handling the nippy one.
Held his sister for the first time tonight. about 10 secs to settle down, now she's as good as gold! If only I had that touch on females that aren't covered in scales!
Picked him up after that, and after 2 initial nips, he's calmed down as well.
I'll give the gloves until the weekend then go in 'bareback'.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and help.
Hope it brought back some fond memories...

thanks bigblackdog

this post has helped me sort of as my juvenilee coastal that i bought is nuts as soon as anything enters the cage he is ready to attack no matter how slow i move
but im trying every day well twice a day but so far he is still ready to attack like the pole i move it in towards him and as soon as its in reach he is after it 10 shots at once then he will stop so the second i move no matter how slowly he is at it again

so i think this one is going to take a while im a bit upset as i enjoy handling snakes and feeling them running along my hands and arms but i havnt even "touched" mine yet only through a glove

jeramie85 said:
thanks bigblackdog

this post has helped me sort of as my juvenilee coastal that i bought is nuts as soon as anything enters the cage he is ready to attack no matter how slow i move
but im trying every day well twice a day but so far he is still ready to attack like the pole i move it in towards him and as soon as its in reach he is after it 10 shots at once then he will stop so the second i move no matter how slowly he is at it again

so i think this one is going to take a while im a bit upset as i enjoy handling snakes and feeling them running along my hands and arms but i havnt even "touched" mine yet only through a glove

The best advice I've gotten so far was on how to approach the snake when picking it up.
If you reach in from above, the snake will react as if you are a predator and defend itself (in the wild, it would be attacked from above by birds, etc).
Try picking the snake up from underneath with a 'scooping' motion rather than a 'grab' from above.

I only actually had to wear the cotton gloves the once just to get over the 'fear' of being struck by my new babies - just proves it was 99.9% in my mind.

Good luck with your Coastal.

ive tried slowly from underneath i have how ever got some hook thingo to bring him out with he goes a bit wild with that too but i have however once he stops attacking it been touching him sloly with it and i think he is gettingused to the hook its just now getting him onto my hand
i wear a glove as he has got me 3 times and drawn blood but the last time he latched on which frightened me

i even opened the cage so he could come out onto my hand i sat for 3 hours all i got was he put his head out sniffed the air and then went and layed down and fell asleep

Bigblackdog said:
The Cotton Gloves work!!!
Best $2.75 I ever spent!
Even though they offer next to no extra protection, it was enough to get my mind over the line & now have no prob handling the nippy one.
Held his sister for the first time tonight. about 10 secs to settle down, now she's as good as gold! If only I had that touch on females that aren't covered in scales!
Picked him up after that, and after 2 initial nips, he's calmed down as well.
I'll give the gloves until the weekend then go in 'bareback'.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions and help.
Hope it brought back some fond memories...

Just a thought, cos I'm a big tough bloke that doesnt mind the odd bite/flesh wound :wink: I cant talk from experience, but I have heard that latex diswashing gloves deter bites due to their taste/texture. Perhaps a nice pink pair would be a wise investment??? :wink: :D

'Tis just a flesh wound! and the snake is thinking..."Come back and i'll bite your kneecaps off"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back