Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick_304

Reaction score
When u breed to jungles from different localitys i and if its ok does anyone have pics of a palmerston X Atherton for me to look at.

When u breed to jungles from different localitys i and if its ok does anyone have pics of a palmerston X Atherton for me to look at.

yeah your gonna start a flame war if the person puts one up

If you mean is it legally okay? Then yes it is.
Is it cross breeding? No.
Are there slight morphological differences between the two? Yes there is.
Is it in some of the reptile purest eyes the preferred option? No.

So for alot of people who preffer pure, if you cross anything whether it be in the same family or not its cross breeding??

Palmerstone and Atherton, cross breeding?
Their bother Jungles aren't they........
I wouldn't think it'll be a problem at all.

If it is not in the same family, its cross breeding or hybridizing (argue what you will on the correct terminology). I prefer the term mongrelising. This practice is highly frowned upon in the Australian community and only supported by a handful of selfish people who have no pride in the integrity of our hobby.

Most people have no problem with this. Some people prefer locality-specific animals.

I'll be trying to pair a Palmerston and a Tully this season and I see no problem at all with this. Especially when you consider the proximity of the two locations. AFAIK there's no "Great Wall of Northern Queensland" preventing the animals from aforementioned localities from ever coming into contact with one another :p

Because i know the americans do it HEAPS and HEAPS
Trouser - Even thought they are in the same family, they are sub speices, or different localitys so it wouldnt be a "pure"
A good example is like if you cross a english Staffy with an American staffy. Same breed different locations...Defianetly makes is a cross breed

Er. It's nothing like dogs.

Jungles from Atherton, Palmerston and Tully are all still jungles. They are all the same subspecies.

Staffys from england and america are still staffys. the differance is one is a dog one is a snake, Same pricipal

It is perfectly acceptable to the vast majority of keepers.
Here's my Atherton/Tully, one of my favourites and in fact my first Jungle. They are the same sub species.
DSC_0062-1.jpg

If it is not in the same family, its cross breeding or hybridizing (argue what you will on the correct terminology). I prefer the term mongrelising. This practice is highly frowned upon in the Australian community and only supported by a handful of selfish people who have no pride in the integrity of our hobby.

one of the best worded posts ive ever seen on this site!

as for the original question, they are all cheynei.... so....

Its not really ok if you want to sell the babys you will end up with interspecific hybrids , and most people in the snake world will winge about this.

But in the real world its like someone with brown hair sexing a blond chick... so meh :D

Hope this helps :shock:

Trousa, that's rubbish. They're the same subspecies.

Also people, keep in mind how far apart those localities are. They're 40-60km away from one another. Just think about that for a moment.

Trousa, that's rubbish. They're the same subspecies.

Also people, keep in mind how far apart those localities are. They're 40-60km away from one another. Just think about that for a moment.

Look up interspecific ... I like hybirds so don't get me wrong!

Yes I agree, these places are only different because of the names we have labelled them with.

I would suggest that you need to look it up.

Trousa, an interspecific hybrid is the offspring from 2 different species of the same genus. If you crossed a Diamond Python with a Bredli it would be an interspecific hybrid.

IMO if you know the locality of an animal then you should locate another locale specific animal.

Personally for me it would depend on the differences between the 2 locales.
Size, habitat, behaviour & colour/markings etc would be my decider.

For EG: I would throw 2 diff locale Coastals together because there is variation even within the same locale, so I can't see much physical & visual changes with the results.

However I wouldn't throw a WA woma over a SA woma due to size differences. (BHP's, Olives & some Jungles also).

I wouldn't throw a copper red MD from Gammons Ranges over a normal grey MD from so & so due to the obvious colour/marking differences between the 2 locales

And just for interests sake I wouldn't throw an animal from the desert over an animal from the rain forest (if there was such extremes in habitat differences of course lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back