Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanga-Who

Not so new Member
Reaction score
There has been several posts of late about "jags" and or "rpms". It would seem that both terms refer to the same or similar lines of reptiles.

It seems like the term "RPM" has been coined in Oz whereas overseas they are called "jags"

My question is, should we in Oz continue to use both terms which can be confusing or should we join the rest of the world and go with the word jag.

Another question, I'm told that "RPM" stands for reduced pattern ?????????????

The attached pic was emailed to me by a friend, it's only about 9 months old

Attachments

• Picture 2392.jpg
    Picture 2392.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 423
We like to call them genetic reduced pattern carpets, that is after all exactly what they are. All these names like caramel orange pepper etc. makes me think that we as Aussies love to follow the way that Americans name their morphs! Surely we can do better when it comes to making up names for morphological variants. The same goes for tigers, they are striped animals! Am I just being over technical about the whole thing?

I agree with Nicole...after all the Americans can't even pronounce or spell Caramel :)

stripe to stripe= striped, tiger to tiger= super tiger. a bit different to a normal striped jungles imo.. but im with you on the rpm/jag thing.

Why tiger? It should be dorsal striped for striped and dorso lateral striped for tiger! Sorry, just me being technical again. Maybe it's easier to just use words that everybody can understand.

RPM Reduced Pattern Morph or Jag same thing nice snake Kanga who

Have to agree, all these names, tiger,orange pepper, reduced pattern ect confuse me. I'd like to see a jag called a JAG...

Does Jag define an appearance and its genetic heretability, whereas Reduced pattern refers to appearance which may, or may not be heretable?

Good question Wokka. Jag is just a name that was given to the expression of the phenotype caused by the genetic mutation. Genetics are involved in both the jag and reduced pattern look.

Whats this theres smuggled jag blood in our RPM oh no say it aint so lol.

I KNOW, it's terrible, smuggled jags, smuggled greens and smuggled just about anything and everything else.

You mean to tell me that sarong GTP's aren't naturally from Australia? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back