Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the snakes shown on this thread is ugly in my opinion, and in fact they are quite attractive to look at, but if they are not mules and can be bred, their potential is awful in the long term.

J.

Thank you for that vote of confidence, it is appreciated if not share by everyone :D I do consider myself aware as you say, I have scruples and a conscience.
All I say is don't call a snake ugly PURELY because it was produced in a manner you don't agree with.

Pythoninfinite said:
It's not people like you that concern me Boa, you are what I'd call "aware". It's the casual pet keepers drawn to "something pretty" that worry me - they don't keep records and they're not interested in anything but the looks. There would be no problem at all if the genie could be put back in the bottle at will, but once it's out there, that's it. There can be no going back.

J.

Ssssnakeman, I would not call them ugly either but they do not look right....Sorry but they almost have something strange about them,like they are suppose to be on a X-men movie or something... :wink: I do not like tampering with mother nature it all seems a bit weired to me..I know it would take alot of efort to do something like this ,well I presume...But its almost like some one just said wow im going to try this,like a kid mixing 2 colors together...That does not appeal to me.

Do you mind me asking ,How you cross a Coastal and a Woma together? ..That is what the hatchling is isnt it Ssssnakeman?

snakes4me2 said:
Not having a go at you craig but simply a question.
What is it about them snakes that you dont like? is it the colors or the fact that you know that they are hybrids?.
IF there were pure snakes that looked like that would you have a different opinion?

As I said just a question that would be interesting to know the answer :wink:

The main reason I don't like hybrids is that there are to many people likeing them, and I'm araid that down the road we will end like America and calling our carpet pythons Moreia spilota americana (australias) because we have no idea what it is. In time we will have these mongrels flooding australia and there will be fewer and fewer pure species around.

Why would someone do that? When I saw the picture I felt sad for the animal...It does not look right and how confusing for it from what I could see there are no heat pits.What tempreture would they keep it at?...That is just messing around big time with animals...I do not know if I would like to see recent pics?

i might be wrong about it being artificially bred..the people at "nerd" who made this, are now in the process of making a scrub x retic ...that would be another fun animal to have loose in the everglades huh..
baz

craig.a.c said:
snakes4me2 said:
Not having a go at you craig but simply a question.
What is it about them snakes that you dont like? is it the colors or the fact that you know that they are hybrids?.
IF there were pure snakes that looked like that would you have a different opinion?

As I said just a question that would be interesting to know the answer :wink:

The main reason I don't like hybrids is that there are to many people likeing them, and I'm araid that down the road we will end like America and calling our carpet pythons Moreia spilota americana (australias) because we have no idea what it is. In time we will have these mongrels flooding australia and there will be fewer and fewer pure species around.

I have to agree with that..it does not seem fair on the reptiles either.
It is almost human vainity like docking tails off dogs,but it seems so much more extreme :( ....I think I will avoid cross breeds as much as possible. :wink:

x breeds

where can i get one would be interested in obtain two one of each sex
am interested in all hydrids in the pythons line love the unusual
tks

craig.a.c said:

Thanks, I do understand what you are saying and I do believe it was pythoninfinite that answered my question very well also.

As i said i was just asking, thanks for answering as I didnt want to start the great hybrid debate AGIAN.

I'm not really sure what you mean by not fair on the animal ? Does the aimal know it has 2 different parent's ? Does it care ? Snakes live by instinct so we shouldn't really be attributing human type feelings to them. As far as what temperature to keep them at well I guess the same as you would keep a Woma or a Carpet, there really isn't much difference.

ssssnakeman said:
i might be wrong about it being artificially bred..the people at "nerd" who made this, are now in the process of making a scrub x retic ...that would be another fun animal to have loose in the everglades huh..
baz

Not cool,,I am going to guess they are American breeders? and hey I dont know very much about Retics but really they are 2 completly different snakes and I think its just screwing around with the animals and Why? ,,So they can say look what I can do!.. :x

if you can make a coma there is no reason a scrub x tic cant be made..
by the way , i am not a hybred fan but i do find it interesting when two "different" animals can produce young

RE: x breeds

Please corect me if I am wrong but aren't all domestic dogs the same species and therefore putting a great dane across a chihauha does not actually create a hybrid, just a different form of dog mutation. In fact, aren't all ldogs just mutations of the wolf? Same with cats. What we are proposing here is more like crossing a hyena with a wolf. horse with donkey. Man with Chimp!!!!

Now, if these things are not infertile the I say to every person that decides they want to produce these creatures: are you also totally for genetic engineering of our food stocks? Do you enjoy playing God?

We have had millions of years of evolution and now we want to say: Sorry nature, you are wrong and I prefer this animal. It looks better than the one you made.

I personally think this comes down to your own idea of scientific ethics. And EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion on that and none is right or wrong. Just don't ask me to do anything with a gorilla!!!

As far as i know that pairing (which was actually irian jaya carpet crossed with woma) was not done artificially and it has been replicated more than once since with male woma and female carpet. The pictures you showed snakeman are the first of it's kind and are only a year and a half old so they are yet to be proven fertile or infertile. IMO cross breeding hybridising etc. is no different to breeding for specific traits/mutations, but as most of you have said it is not the animals in question that are the problem it is the dishonest breeder that sells his/her animals as something they are not because they can not off load them as hybrids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back