Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brayden49

Reaction score
Hi guys ive been seeing some videos on youtube of people who own 20-30 snakes and house them in plastic containers with not much room to move around. I know alot of Breeders house there snakes this way but how does the snake get the right body temperature's. When all it is getting is the one temperature?

yeah thats what i think too like on snakebytestv he has thousands of snakes in small draws i dont see how they all get proper heat?

they can still move from hot to cold. you have heat cord under 1 end and nothin under the other so they get 1 hot end and 1 cool end

Yes that is correct but some of these snakes are so big that even if they went to the cool end there body will still be in the hot end some idiots on youtube have no clue.

[video=youtube;wcmZe3FqKS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmZe3FqKS0[/video]

Body heat is one thing.
These people have very different attitude. They perceive their snakes as units / items / product, anything but wild animals. Some argue that reptiles born in captivity know no better, so it's OK to keep them in small plastic boxes. They do survive, they even breed. With the exception of mass production reptile farmers, I will never understand how can these people derive any pleasure from having reptile collections. Efficiency and easy maintenance seems to be the key word. Where is the sense in keeping large number of animals in such conditions? On many occasions I have been accused of "breeding for profit", I challenge those keepers / breeders any time - what are they in for?
Each to their own but I could never degrade reptiles, not even domestic animals to that level.

i think i would have to completely agree with Waterrat, i have never understood how people can keep animals in rack systems like that with the claim that they dont need a lot of space, even if the animal does not know any better it still has the right to have some decent living conditions/space

i think i would have to completely agree with Waterrat, i have never understood how people can keep animals in rack systems like that with the claim that they dont need a lot of space, even if the animal does not know any better it still has the right to have some decent living conditions/space

Do you breed your own rats or mice for snake food? If not, how do you think the ones you buy for your reptiles are kept?

---------- Post added 13-Jan-11 at 08:50 PM ----------

Do you breed your own rats or mice for snake food? How do you keep them? If not, how do you think the ones you buy for your reptiles are kept?

not liking the way snakebitestv house there large snakes.
and the arboreal/semi arboreal snakes in 300mm high housing.

[video=youtube;nEqtJdq9wgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqtJdq9wgY[/video]

[video=youtube;lbMdz8Gja_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbMdz8Gja_M&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SL[/video]

Yeah there is ne excitement of exploring their life involves eating mating and craping should have some enrichment

Yes thats correct rats/mice are breed for snake food and they are kept in poor conditions for a short time until they are feed to the snake.Because the owner knows they are only going to be food for the snake. On the other hand snakes are pets and if they live in bad conditions they will most likely be stuck in bad conditions there whole life it would be just as worst of as the rats/mice

So you are saying that because they are kept for the purpose of food it is ok with you to keep them in small lab style enclosures etc??

Double standards much??

Yes thats correct rats/mice are breed for snake food and they are kept in poor conditions for a short time until they are feed to the snake.Because the owner knows they are only going to be food for the snake. On the other hand snakes are pets and if they live in bad conditions they will most likely be stuck in bad conditions there whole life it would be just as worst of as the rats/mice

you believe mice and rats bred for snake food are kept in poor conditions? Have you ever seen how they are housed? Nothing poor about the way most feeder rodents are kept

I personally do not breed my own rats/mice but thats the perspective most people have that breed rats/mice to there snakes.
If they treat them properly at the end of the day they are still going to be food and no better of

I agree with jay84. Rodents in tubs to feed reptiles, reptiles in tubs to feed birds, birds in cages to feed reptiles, and reptiles in tubs to feed reptiles. How confusing is that!

So you are saying that because they are kept for the purpose of food it is ok with you to keep them in small lab style enclosures etc??

Double standards much??

Agreed! And mice and rats are a hell of a lot more intelligent than snakes.

I personally do not breed my own rats/mice but thats the perspective most people have that breed rats/mice to there snakes.
If they treat them properly at the end of the day they are still going to be food and no better of

where do you get that impression? Kept in substandard conditions they are more prone to disease and are going to be a poor quality feeders. Most keepers who breed their own food (and professional rodent breeders) know that keeping the mice or rats in conditions that imo are better then alot of pet mice and rats will in the end produce a much more halthy food item and much healthier animals

I think you are a little uneducated in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back