Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=youtube;O27NCFfAW1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27NCFfAW1M&feature=channel[/video]

3:50

Common guys, wake up! Laboratory mice and rats are not wildlife, they couldn't survive in natural environment for a week. Having said that, I have been involved in keeping / breeding native rodents as part of my studies for many years and my animals were always kept in landscaped, natural surroundings (as much as possible).
Snakes are not laboratory animals - get real !!!!!!!

I don't believe lab mice wouldn't survive in the wild, we're not saying in sub standard conditions. It's more the size that 3 or 4 mice are kept in small tubs.

Im sure Mitchells Hopping mice would breed in the same size cages as lab mice..... I have seen it myself.

G'day,
This topic seems to come up every so often and raises a few questions that I thought worth posting -:
1. I wonder how people that only have a couple of snakes expect others with more to keep them....what "wall to wall" enclosures ?
2. What does anyone that has breeding snakes keep their hatchies in as they reach selling age, and also if they keep some what do they grow them out in ?
3. What are click clacks that a lot of people keep their snakes in ?....if not a "mobile" rack system ?

I like that people have their own opinions, and are prepared to voice them, but lets be a bit realistic w.r.t. snakes in rack systems, (or you probably wouldn't have any because their price would be sky high).

G'day,
This topic seems to come up every so often and raises a few questions that I thought worth posting -:
1. I wonder how people that only have a couple of snakes expect others with more to keep them....what "wall to wall" enclosures ?

I don't know about you but if it was me, I'd keep as many snakes as long as I can give them a proper enclosure and not a click clack or a rack system. So for the moment I only keep 2 snakes because I don't have anymore room to fit another enclosure. I could just easily get a rack of tubs and shove them in there and get another 3 or 4 more snakes but where's the good in that! My 2 cents

Cheers,
Nick

it seems to me that alot of people dont realize that snakes dont care if they dont have a nice fake back ground, an attractive substrate, an attractive substrate. As long as the snake gets what it needs, food, heat, water, shelter they are happy. Is it just me or are we seeing the new generation of "beardie breast feeders" here lol

it seems to me that alot of people dont realize that snakes dont care if they dont have a nice fake back ground, an attractive substrate, an attractive substrate. As long as the snake gets what it needs, food, heat, water, shelter they are happy. Is it just me or are we seeing the new generation of "beardie breast feeders" here lol

Agreed. I use racking systems for a lot of my animals and I certainly don't feel as though I am "degrading" my animals in any way. They all have ample space, perches etc. All their needs are taken care of.

These posts without evidence are merely opinions - nothing more. Before having a dig at other keepers, please feel free to support those opinions of yours with evidence that an enclosure with a more "natural" appearance is beneficial to our animals and in what ways. If racking systems are so detrimental, please also provide evidence to support these claims.

An argument is an absolute waste of time if no one can support any of their claims.

i dont see any problem with natural enclosures (apart from being harder to clean) but i really dont see why people are so adamant tubs and racks are bad, it causes the snakes no harm and its much easier to keep clean. If you dont like them then dont use them, simple as that but i really dont see the need to have a go at the keepers who enjoy the benefits of housing this way.

Agreed. I use racking systems for a lot of my animals and I certainly don't feel as though I am "degrading" my animals in any way. They all have ample space, perches etc. All their needs are taken care of.

These posts without evidence are merely opinions - nothing more. Before having a dig at other keepers, please feel free to support those opinions of yours with evidence that an enclosure with a more "natural" appearance is beneficial to our animals and in what ways. If racking systems are so detrimental, please also provide evidence to support these claims.

An argument is an absolute waste of time if no one can support any of their claims.

Exactly right. This argument is right up there with my dad can beat up your dad. Let's take it to the next level, who or what the hell do we think we are keeping "wild animals" in captivity? It serves no purpose to keep snakes in captivity other than to satisfy the need of the ego to identify with an item or activity to add validity to one's existence. No this is not a shot at anyone in particular, I keep wild, wide ranging animals in boxes too.

As long as your animals needs, all of them, are met, tubs or avaiaries are irrelevant. Of course I don't think retics in 8' x 4' x 1' tubs is particualrilty crash hot, I do believe following the (QLD relevant) "Captive reptile and amphibian Code of Practice" http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p00061aa.pdf will give your wild animals as good a life as any other captive system. Barring the massive outdoor pits of course, but that is something different again!

Last edited:
Body heat is one thing.
These people have very different attitude. They perceive their snakes as units / items / product, anything but wild animals. Some argue that reptiles born in captivity know no better, so it's OK to keep them in small plastic boxes. They do survive, they even breed. With the exception of mass production reptile farmers, I will never understand how can these people derive any pleasure from having reptile collections. Efficiency and easy maintenance seems to be the key word. Where is the sense in keeping large number of animals in such conditions? On many occasions I have been accused of "breeding for profit", I challenge those keepers / breeders any time - what are they in for?
Each to their own but I could never degrade reptiles, not even domestic animals to that level.

I'm with you man. It kinda irks me. Just doesn't seem right to keep them in those conditions :/. At least I keep mine happy, they have more than they know to do with!

Agreed, snakes don't generally seem to be as fussy as their owners. Also too big an area isn't always better anyway, so long as it can regulate it's body temps, feeds and isn't poked and prodded too often it'll be happy and healthy!

G'day,
2. What does anyone that has breeding snakes keep their hatchies in as they reach selling age, and also if they keep some what do they grow them out in ?
3. What are click clacks that a lot of people keep their snakes in ?....if not a "mobile" rack system ?

My opinion. Not having a go at keepers who use racks.
1. For adult snakes, yes. I guess its the price you pay for choosing to have so many snakes eh? You choose to have that many so you should be prepared to house them.
2. I personally don't have qualms with the click clack. It is a perfect, cost effective way to house your reptile until it reaches a size where you can move it to an adult sized enclosure. However (for me) this is only a temporary home, not a life-long domicile. In my personal opinion I don't think it does a beautiful snake justice to keep it in a plastic box for the entirety of its life.
3. Pretty much as above. Click clacks are great... for a snake too small to put in an adult size enclosure.

---------- Post added 14-Jan-11 at 09:23 PM ----------

My way of looking at it is that my enclosure, is a box in a rack... other than it has more than a rack offers. I'm not saying a rack is detrimental but I believe the enclosure offers a more realistic environment with more stimulus and I can't see a way of that being worse for a reptile.

---------- Post added 14-Jan-11 at 09:24 PM ----------

But how do you know that they are happy?

Because I'm happy keeping them in it :)

Last edited:
Common guys, wake up! Laboratory mice and rats are not wildlife, they couldn't survive in natural environment for a week. Having said that, I have been involved in keeping / breeding native rodents as part of my studies for many years and my animals were always kept in landscaped, natural surroundings (as much as possible).
Snakes are not laboratory animals - get real !!!!!!!
Captive bred snakes are not wildlife either! And some snakes are lab animals for a good reason, and we keep them all in rack systems, and they are in perfect health!

Because I'm happy keeping them in it :)

that is a perfect example of how keeping them in these fancy natural looking enclosures isnt for the animals benefit, its for the owners. Do you really think the snakes care? They are not people, they are not attracted to "pretty" things, as long as the basic needs are met they are going to be just fine

i think it also come down to why we keep our reptiles, if the keeper only has them to breed then small racks will be perfect for them. but for people like me i prefer seeing my animals climb around on the fake walls and over all the plants and for me it is the best most enjoyable way to keep reptiles...

that is a perfect example of how keeping them in these fancy natural looking enclosures isnt for the animals benefit, its for the owners. Do you really think the snakes care? They are not people, they are not attracted to "pretty" things, as long as the basic needs are met they are going to be just fine

You cannot say that for sure. Nobody can say either way for sure. Do you agree on that?

Interesting thread; here's my contribution. I have a large male RBB that is housed in a 4x2x2. When I can and while I'm present, I open the cage for an hour or so (usually while I'm on here) and he has free range of our basement, a 10x5 metre room, full of furniture, packing boxes, etc. So, plenty of places to hide and yet, you guessed it, I always find him back in his cage, after he's had a bit of a hunt around, of course :D. If i forget to let him out when he knows I'm downstairs, he constantly taps on the glass until I oblige! Perhaps it's the heated hide box that does it?

Having said that, I would like to offer my snakes a lockable,"sunning enclosure" outside at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back