Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Snake

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno97

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting my first snake and have a few questions.

First of all is a Murray Darling a good first snake?
Or would a Bredli be a better choice?

Secondly should I get a hatchling/yearling or a bit older snake? Which is easier to care for?

Could you also give me any info I would need about the enclosure (what should i put in it, ect.)

I dont own any, but i heard that murray darlings are good. And im pretty sure that bredlis get quite a bit bigger than a murray darling.
But really go for what ever you like more.

Im new on here too (picking up my snake tomorrow) i have read on here that MD's are a good first snake but im getting s Stimson's python- also a good first snake, im getting a hatchling and have a click-clack (plastic container) set up for it, there is an awesome thread on here on how to set them up in DIY. This site is very good for learning all the things you need to know, but dont get the snake until you know all there is to know and you can trust yourself to care for it, ive been "getting" a snake for 10years lol.
good luck with your future snake, there are heaps of helpful people on here that will give you good advice :)
Kelly

both are good choices, like snakes 123 said bredli do get a fair bit bigger tho, but i think theyre prettier. :)

age is up to you, i like to start with hatchies, most breeders wont selll till the snake is feeding well and should be able to provide you with a feedign history.
with an older snake you might get some better insight on whether or not its gonna be a biter, but most hatchies settle own to be quite pleasant,....
hatchies will strike at you, while it can freak the hell out of you at first, it doesnt hurt, and it does stop.

most people keep hatchies in click clacks forl the first 6 months or so, putting them straight into a big enclosure can be unsettling for the snake and it may stop eating.
my bredli are in 6x4x2 foot enclosures once they reach 6 foot,...(4x3x2 till then)

Bredli,

And

How handyman are you, and the enclosure depends on snake really.
so pick a snake and go from there, DIY/Pre Built(Custom)/Store enclosures etc etc.

But basically you need heat. now heat mat or lamps (ceramic/ globe etc)

in all honesty you would be better off seeing both types of snakes your after and seeing an experienced keepers enclosure and set up and deciding from there. also look @ alot of threads on enclosures, care sheets, research everything you can, decide what type, than find a snake, than before you pick it up have everything you need,

For my bredli

Basically apart from rocks/hides/pond/vines/branches/substrate etc i have:

Thermostat: Controls my UV and heat lamps its digital and really easy to use and set up. $140
Ceramic Heat lamp: Provides heat 60
UV 5.0 lamp: provides uv a/b it doesnt do any harm to have but you dont need it $45
Ceramic ES fittings x2: these house the lamps (need to be ceramic) $20 each
Thermometer x2: on for hot and one for cooler end of enclosure just to make sure temps are right $15 each
Light Cages x2: cage that goes around the lamps to protect the snakes from it. Made mine,
good mesh is the roof guttering mesh from bunnings a 19m roll was under $14 i should do a DIY thread on this...

I also dont do it the cheapest way im on the other end of the scale... and for an older snake not a hatchy.

Enclosure and set up's can be as expensive or as cheap as you want really, but to maintain snakes are pretty damn cheap. either way if you want to talk more PM me and ill throw you my number or call a good reptile shop and they can guide you through everything depending where you are.

Last edited:
I can only go by what i personally chose as my first.....and that was a bredli. I got it as a yearling and has been a great feeder and handler for that past 6 yrs.... was 2 ft when i got it and now 8 1/2 ft

hey, i just went through this decision a couple of weeks ago.
i ended up chosing a hatchling bredli and am very proud of my choice. people may say that hatchlings arent the best for your first but the one i got has given zero troubles at all, feed first go, shed fine and is getting better every day with handling. went from 30 bites a week down to only 5 max now. you just need to find a good breeder and then chose the snake that you like.
as for the enclosure that i am keeping her in its a 77cmx36cmx37cm glass aquarium with two sides blanked out by black cardboard to stop the snake stressing to much. i have one end constantly heated by a 7 watt heat mat that keeps a hot spot of about 28 degrees all the time. i then have a fluoro light that is set on a timer the makes a normal day time light for the snake and also increases the basking tempreture of the whole tank by 4 degrees. i have then furished the tank with a big branch that i found and placed about 3 hides in at varying points in the cage. aslong as you provide lots of hides like what they would have in the wild for the same size area they will be fine. then just have a water bowl in the tank so that it can drink, all i used was a cat water dish becasue it couldnt b accedentally tipped over.
if you are in the wide bay, PM and i can give you the number of the breeder i got mine off of.

Im only new to pythons too and I picked a diamond as my first, she's so gentle and very active. But then you gotta think of diamond python syndrome and she may not live past 10 yrs old. Which is sad. But a great all round snake :) I also got a albino Darwin hatchie. She is so pretty but I recommend getting a yearling or older snake as your first as she's not as much fun. Hope that helps a little. But my next snake will be an olive or bredli :)

we were planning on getting a murray darling, the guy met us there and had a few to show us. he also had a few bredlis. we decided to go with a bredli (hatchy that it) for a nuber of reasons - he told us that they are rather rare (however now find this hard to believe due to the number of people on here with them!), once bigger they are very docile, they get fairly big and their colouring also attracted me.

hi, i am also new here, i only joined yesterday, & got my first baby girl last night! Like Kelly86 my decision was a long thought out one......for me, 20yrs! :shock: I too was a little unsure what snake to get for my first, i narrowed my 'favorite' list down to childrens's python's, Black & Gold Jungles & Bredli's......i went with the Bredli & hope that once my little girl settles in she will be as 'friendly' to me as she was the breeder! ;) As the others have said, just make sure u do ur research first, you can never know too much, & definately chose the snake you like the most & work with it, as all snakes are different & have different personalities! I have found that Bredli's are not always as 'nice' as people say they are, i have a few friends with Bredli's & while some are as friendly as goldfish, one of my mates has a big girl whom is tempermental & still after 4yrs has the occasional mood swing & gets snappy! GOODLUCK with making your choice, & i hope you are made to feel as welcome here as i was!

I have three words for you, handling, handling and handling. The more you handle it the better it will get, I have three snakes two are great because they have had a lot of handling the other one attacks everything which is a bit of a catch 22 because I know she needs to be handled more to get better but I am sick of getting bitten.

JackTar.....I just purchased my first snake on tuesday......i went with the Bredli. As everyone has their own opinions on handling, i am a little confused how often i should handle her once she settles into her new home......some people suggest a few minutes daily, while others say 10mins every few days, there are even people who suggest you dont handle them at all......which i find a little strange as to me that would be the same as having a dog that you never pat! Anyway, i do hope my little girl will grow to be friendly, so i wondered what u recommend? :) Your opinion would be appreciated

you got it all wrong mate. your best bet is a scrub python
LOL - Who needs emenies if you have a Scrub python ;-)

On a serious note - I think the 2 snakes you're selecting between are quite different. But all you really need to choose is what colour you prefer and what size python you want.

Bredli's (Hypo's would be my suggestion, basically they have no black pigment in their colouring which makes them look more red) I think they are prettier, but they grow MUCH MUCH larger and for that reason alone, might be too big for some people (I would have gotten one but they get WAY too large for the python I wanted - my partner owns one)

MD's = Not as pretty (just my personal opinion) but I think their adult size is more managable for a first snake.

It really comes down to what your instinct tells you to get. Especially if this is going to be your only snake.

Good luck with it all :)

Woma's are great too, I'm a bit biased at the moment.. my poor children's doesn't get much attention anymore lol

How many of you ended up getting the snake that everyone recommended?

I know I didn't. I thought I had my heart set on a stimsons but ended up getting a sub-adult carpet python as my first. That was 4 yrs ago and I still have her. She is still my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back