Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would'nt touch it with a ten foot barge pole.... it's still a pretty snake... it still eats and behaves like a carpet (i assume) but it lacks the extra "dimension"(for want of a better word) that locality pure animals have.

-H

That's a good question, unfortuntaley I don't have a good answer.

krusty said:
me to boa,and what is this morph going to be called.

I would buy one as well. I love my locality specific animals but I also enjoy the many "morphs" that are around. There is plenty of room for both IMO, and can't see a problem as long as people are honest in their dealings.

hugsta said:
I would buy one as well. I love my locality specific animals but I also enjoy the many "morphs" that are around. There is plenty of room for both IMO, and can't see a problem as long as people are honest in their dealings.

thats right mate plenty of room for all.

very interesting it will be good to se how it looks in a few months.

Yes I agree, if you think that all carpets look at their worst when they hatch even 6 months will be interesting. I will try and follow up with some more photo's a little later.

boa said:
Again that's fine but IF the research into carpet genetics shows them to be identical then it is impossible for them to be 'mongrels'.

You have to stop using the word 'identical' in this context, as it is just wrong. The only identical herps are Sdaji's parthenogenetic Bynoe's (and other parth spp.). I know what you mean, but that's not to say everyone else reading your posts will know what you mean - some will take it literally.

If it's any consolation, I don't like the word 'mongrel' either, as it has less than charming connotations.

:p

Hix

I agree, I should have said that at a species level they are 'the same' genetically. I should say that in the other thread I did point out that the word identical was wrong.
The term 'mongrel' is used by a couple of people I think to stir things up :)

Looks like the IJ genes putting in a resurgence to me. Nice though.

Definitely no IJ in it from what I can work out. Pure Jag and Jungle seems to be the only blood.

Boa,- i dont use the word mongel to stir things up??, i use it because thats what they are.!!

Nephrurus said:
I would'nt touch it with a ten foot barge pole.... it's still a pretty snake... it still eats and behaves like a carpet (i assume) but it lacks the extra "dimension"(for want of a better word) that locality pure animals have.

-H

Dimension? What does that even mean?

I for one have no idea why people have a disdain for cross bred/morph snakes. They're still snakes, they still behave like snakes, and they provide a look which adds variety to a species.

Who's to say that a Bredli isn't a morph of two other snakes, a morph that was created a century ago and that has dominated its area till now?

The only negative thing I can think of that's even viable, is if you don't like the look of the animal, but disliking it just because of the word 'morph', I think it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back