Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That snake is a Jag/Jungle so I guess the Jungle side could definitely be dominant. I would love to see a wild coastal/Jungle like that one, there must be a photo somewhere ?

I agree it looks better than alot of jungles, i saw one from the hinterland behind coroy that was mind boggling, jet black with three bright yellow strippes, one down the back and one each side. IMO this particular coastal was better looking than any jungle ive ever seen.

I personally think that the snake pictured has a very jungle like pattern, especially from the end of the neck up through the head.

I am not a strong supporter of either side of the "mongrel" debate, however I do believe it is inevitable that "designer" snakes will become very prominent and popular in Australia, I just hope that the pure locality ones are not lost in the process, I simply posted that picture as an interesting specimen that was "said" to be a pure coastal, the fact that the breeder has absolutely no objection to crossbreeding would suggest that they have no reason to lie, although this in itself does not assure the truth is being told.

I would be interested to know how one would identify a true pure coastal in the wild if it looks like or better than a real jungle? If it is based on the location, how can you be sure that a jungle hasn't moved out of its normal locality and started breeding with coastals or whatever other compatible snake it encountered? Could the ones seen in the wild be a natural integrade of coastal and jungle?

snakewrangler,- considering that the sunshine coast is 1400-1500kms south of jungle territory it would be impossible for them to be natural intergrades.

What if someone a long time ago took jungles from their natural location and released them there? It wouldn't be a natural integrade but still this is a very real possibility.

I am not even trying to say your are wrong, I am simply asking how do you know for sure? Obviously you can't know for sure, you have to make an educated guess, but it is still possible. I am not looking to start an argument, I am just interested. :)

It looks very similar to (very nice looking) black and white jungles I have seen. (Or it will do when it loses that just hatched look.

The stripy thing is often attributed to low incubation temperatures.

Should be a stunning looking adult.

snakewrangler, the reason i know that they arent an intergrade is from the morphology of the animals in question and because iv seen them in different areas and habitats on the sunshine coast, much to wide spread to come from an escaped or released animal.

Like I said TB, it is an "educated" guess that you are making.

As I stated earlier, if this is a true coastal, and if as you say there are true coastals in the wild that look like this then the relationship of jungles and coastals must be closer than most would be comfortable with. It would also pose a serious problem for locality only breeding programs because what if one of these "coastals" were to get into someones collection as a jungle? The offspring would be mongrels and you wouldn't even know it! :shock:

But the real questions are, could it be prevented and would it really matter?

Very interesting...

Not an educated "guess" at all, the morphology of them is coastal.
coastal carperts come in almost every colour and pattern you could think of, ive seen some that resemble murry darlings, jungles, even one that looked rather bredli-ish. They are extremely variable in colour and pattern to say the least.

If there are Jungles that look like that in the wild then yes as you say the relationship between Coastals and Jungles is far closer than
had been thought possibly.
The thought the thing that separated them was that they apparently looked so obviously different but here we have a snake that looks better tha a lot of Jungles but is a coastal or there are at least wild coastals that look the same.
I would defy a lot of Jungle fans (in fact most) to look at that photo and say it is a coastal, of course with no previous knowledge of the snake.

Yeah, I don't mean to say that you are guessing, it is a saying that I have always thought to mean a persons belief, idea, theory or whatever is based upon what they know through study and experience, that is why it is called and "educated" guess, what I am saying however is a guess as I do not know much about their morphology, locality, genetics, etc...

I agree, of all the photos of snakes I have seen, coastals are by far the most variable, maybe (and this is a guess :lol:) they are the original species from which all Morelia s. sub species came, through isolated breeding and adaption in their respective localities...

Hello Guys,

The pics that snake wrangler posted is reallly pretty looking animal, Jungle or coastral what ever it is, :D there's a young woman out of brisbane that hatch out a couple of coastal that is similar to that one, jet black and yellow dead ringer to some jungles that i've seen and the rest of the clutch is just normal coastal looking( what's a normal coastal looking on the first place??? :) )

I'm sure True blue and Pike1 could share stories of some unusual carpets that they see in the wild, I also know of a few people on this list that seen some wild looking carpets up north. About 7-8 years ago I bought a carpet from Tim (URS) Just similar to what TrueBlue was describing on that carpet he saw around hinterland(coroy) A very pretty snake with Jungle temperement, I recall Tim calling them grafton local.

I think the more we see on what"s around and what's getting bred we'll realise even more on how highly variable this species can be.

Regards all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back