Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear of your loss, devestating! :cry: but thanks for speaking out through your grief and for making us newbies aware of the risks of over feeding, its a valubale lesson we have all just learnt!
sorry once again, Shelby

I think once-a-year feeds are probably not a good idea either Pythoness, but adult snakes, especially boys, can be fed a reasonble sized meal every 4-6 weeks to keep their weight down. Most of my adults get fed just whenever I think of it, and not usually more than monthly in summer, if that.

Jamie.

Sorry for your loss Pugsly, I would be interested to hear what a vet said was the cause of death, could have been anything I suppose as it didn't look at all fat.
:(

Size...

There was a very large amount of fat in the body cavity, and 5.5 feet at 18 months is way too big for it's age.

J.

RE: Size...

:shock: no fat boa, have another look. :shock:

RE: Size...

Very sorry to hear about your loss mate :cry: :cry: :cry:

Re: RE: Size...

You're not going to start twisting my words again are you Rob, you know what happened last time :wink:
I said the snake didn't look fat and for a Bredli it certainly doesn't from that photo.

TrueBlue said:
:shock: no fat boa, have another look. :shock:

RE: Re: RE: Size...

I saw that snake at the mac herps show and it didnt look fat ... well not compared to my bredli anyway :oops: . They have been on a massive diet for the last 6 months but they are still fat buggers.

i have a female bredli of the same age thats just 5 foot, and i barely feed her once a month now.

could you describe/take a pic of his viv? what substrate/furniture did you have in there etc?

sorry for your loss mate, absolutely terrible. but the best thing about it is that you learn from it, its a good learning curve and message to others.

RE: Re: RE: Size...

Bredli are a heavy bodied snakes, it doesn't look fat in that photo and although their is some fat in that photo it doesn't appear excessive. I have no axe to grind as I don't power feed and don't feel it necessary for me to support or criticise anyone who does. Those who belief it to be harmful always will and those who consider it acceptable equally always will.
There certainly seems to be a body of evidence to say that an obese ADULT snake is unhealthy but that is common sense, with fast growing healthy juveniles I would say the jury is still out but I am sure some will disagree as is their right.

Pythoninfinite said:
I think once-a-year feeds are probably not a good idea either Pythoness, .
lol jamie, no i meant some species only eat once a year, (ie... mutton bird tiger)
not to feed captives once a year, mine would have eaten me by then :oops:

Sorry to hear about it.

Hope your next bredli looks just as good

pugsly said:
I can post the photots of what I saw on the inside if you like, but its not for the sqeemish, definately a lesson learned the hard way and I will be cutting down my feeds for all my pythons from today..

With all due respect, I believe you are leaping to a huge conclusion in blaming it on over-feeding without a professional autopsy and other supporting evidence. And I am certainly not advocating power-feeding.

RE: Re: R.I.P Milo..

Exactly the point I was making.

Sorry to hear of your loss Steve. It always makes me really sad to hear of such a beautiful creatures dying.

Regards, Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back