Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kersten

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Yes I know, I know.....Steve Irwin threads are as plentiful as the fleas on a camel. But I saw this and....hmmmm.

Just saw Steve Irwin hand someone with no experience with snakes an Inland Taipan. On Today. Call me crazy (and no doubt some smartypants will actually do that :wink: ) But....freehandling a Taipan (when you supposedly know what you're doing :roll: ) on TV is bad enough....handing it to someone who's got no idea what he's doing???? :? :shock: :x :!:

I kept an ear out for a mention of that, but if it was said it was in the 5 seconds while my daughter was yelling at him that he was a silly man :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong....but the only person who has venomoids is Hoser?? And they're all tigers and blacksnakes??

you are corrected Kersten. Ray is not the only person.

Even so, thats just plain stupid in my books. His luck will run out oneday, lets hope that its he who gets the damage and not someone else.

Ahhhh I see, thanks for that Peter.

I also (perhaps I'm biased here now :oops: ) was very disappointed by the fact that while carrying on in this fashion with the Taipan he made sure to point out that the only people who've been bitten by Taipans were handlers (yes I know that is true) who were "playing" with them. While I realise that handlers who get bitten bear sole responsibility for the bites, it looked as though he was insinuating that the tagged handlers were "playing" with their snakes in the same fashion he was. I can't imagine that it would be true in all 13 cases.

I'm pretty sure I read that with one of the first reported cases it was not a handler "playing" as you describe but someone catching the first one taken from the wild. They then hitched a ride to the nearest hospital in a truck. I could be way off though.

I also saw this on TV and whilst the snake was very placid (maybe it was cold and sluggish), it would only take one wrong move by the TV presenter and he could have been tagged. Not sure how Irwin's insurance would go with this having a non qualified person handling the worlds most venemous snake.

Yup, that'd be the case, Budden was his name but it was in 56 and it was a Coastal, I'm talking about Inlands (sorry, should have elaborated)....and that was my point. It's not that they're "playing" with them at all....he sure as hell managed to make it sound as though they were.

Whoops, I knew I'd be way off. I should've just shut up and read my signature :oops:

Rennie said:
Whoops, I knew I'd be way off. I should've just shut up and read my signature :oops:
Don't be silly Rennie :wink: Like I said, I should've been more specific :D

Gee with a thread title like, " scuse me for this one ", i thought you must of passed wind kersten.
But no it was much worse than that, although i recon they smell they same.
IMO hes the biggest embarasment to herpetology not just in oz but the world.
IMO hes totally and utterly incompetent.

Well I may not have literally passed wind Blue...but I kinda thought it was a figurative fart (scuse my alliteration :lol: ) to mention him.

And yes.....he certainly is shaping up to be so.

Yup, that'd be the case, Budden was his name but it was in 56 and it was a Coastal
I am sure it was a taipan that bit him , not a coastal , just trying to find the book to confirm .

rockman said:
Yup, that'd be the case, Budden was his name but it was in 56 and it was a Coastal
I am sure it was a taipan that bit him , not a coastal , just trying to find the book to confirm .
Yeah, she means coastal taipan not coastal carpet. :lol:

sorry about that , maybe she was in a hurry and was going back to write COASTAL TAIPAN , just so the young-un's dont get mixed up with the facts .

Everyone should stop using the term coastal as a noun anyway. Bloody confusing when some twit who calls himself Taipan advertises coastals for sale and they turn out to be carpets. Coastal is an adjective.

Lol yes, my mistake ....I thought that since we were talking about Taipans and I said "it was a Coastal, I'm talking about Inlands" that it would have been clear :lol: :lol:

Never ASSUME, it makes something out of U and ME....how did that go again? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back