Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol indeed Rennie :D Damn me and my silly shorthand typing/assumption errors.....I promise in the future that I will type absolutely everything in as long and descriptive a fashion as I possibly can :wink: Ooops....I suppose I stuffed up there with the "lol" :oops:

It was a coastal taipan that bit Budden (not 100% sure of the name) and eventually led to the first antivenom for taipans and his death. Regardless of the species I still consider catching a snake even for milking purposes to be considered handling and therefore the catchers fault.

As for Irwin. His methods might not be great, but he is a good show man and has bought the plight of many species and an interest in wildlife to many people the world over. The more awareness people have of nature and the environment the better for the world, regardless of where the awareness comes from.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree
Adam

A venomoid is an elapid which has had it's venom glands removed. They're also referred to as voids.

Is removing the venom glands an effective long-term thing or does it have to be repeated. I personally don't like the sound of it...I think that it is a bit like mutilating a snake for someone's convienience. They are venemous snakes & should be respected & treated like it IMO. STill perhaps there are some good reasons for the procedure that I haven't thought of.

Kath

It's supposedly a long term thing....when the procedure is done "correctly" and the whole gland is removed. If you don't like the sound of it now then it's probably best you don't read up on how it's performed by some (or is that one?). I can't think of a single good reason to do it, but I've heard plenty of excuses.

Now I'm going to grab the popcorn because we've managed to mention Irwin, Hoser and voiding all in one thread....not quite how I meant it to go but I guess we now just ride the wave....

only incompetent keepers or keepers that dont have the balls to handle hot herps would ever remove the venom glands IMO. They shouldnt be keeping them in the first place.

i'll drink to that.

if you like hots, then except them the way they are. Man has this goal to change everything to suit themselves.

as for irwin, one day he will go too far, and the the beer will be on true blue ;)

AdamR said:
It was a coastal taipan that bit Budden (not 100% sure of the name) and eventually led to the first antivenom for taipans and his death. Regardless of the species I still consider catching a snake even for milking purposes to be considered handling and therefore the catchers fault.

As for Irwin. His methods might not be great, but he is a good show man and has bought the plight of many species and an interest in wildlife to many people the world over. The more awareness people have of nature and the environment the better for the world, regardless of where the awareness comes from.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree
Adam

I will, which species has he been active in bringing the plight of to the public. I must have missed something there. we only have television, radio, internet, newspapers, magazines and word of mouth so I might have missed it. :?

soulweaver said:
i'll drink to that.

as for irwin, one day he will go too far, and the the beer will be on true blue ;)
you can make mine an tooheys extra dry :D

Peter
Ok take plight as a bad choice in words. Through his shows he helps create an interest in wild life. It was through people such as Albi Mangles and the Leyland Brothers whom I recieved interest in wildlife. 20 years later I am studying zoology, and am keen to know all i can about our environment. Through people like his passion for animals, regardless on the form it takes on other people start thinking of the environment. It may not take long thereafter to learn that he may not have been correct but without an interest noone would ever look. Many animals on the planet will face major problems in the next couple of decades. if people arent aware of them there is less of a chance they will survive. His adds on quarentine also help deliver a good message, again regardless of how he handles snakes, people listen and can recognise him. Id rather someone make some stupid, stupid choices, but help encourage peoples attention in nature than for someone to do every thing by the book and not get people involved.

Again My opinion and nothin more. I know that people right or wrong life Steve have helped me get my interests to where they are today
Adam

If i'm not mistaken, Rob Bredl's father (Joe?) was bitten by an Inland Taipan whilst attempting to catch it. I believe he tailed it and it swung around and nailed him on the chest. Perhaps that is what you're thinking of Rennie?

In a somewhat related note, a couple of weeks ago on "20-1" they showed a clip of Steve Irwin at the Logies (or some other Australian event) with what looked like an adult Carpet python. Anyway he was waving it around & then (accidently) fell off the stage causing the python to completely freak out & tag some guy in the audience (on the crotch!) I tell you the only sympathy I felt was for the poor terrified python & the bloke who got tagged! I got really angry that this bloke was traumatising the poor python for entertainment purposes. I realize that the fall off stage was accidental but why on Earth was he waving the poor thing around while himself jumping about all over the stage in the first place?

Kath

Because he's Steve Irwin KathNStu :p

Showman or not, he's done some pretty stupid stuff. But then again- I'd say 98% of the last centuries well known showmen (Alby Mangel, Leyland Bros...the list goes on) did exactly the same thing. Where are they now? When was the last time you heard anything about Alby?? (the recent appearance on 'Where Are They Now?' excluded)

I heard he got into so much debt that he was living in a cave somewhere in the NT. Dunno anything about the Leylands...

Like them or not- you say their names, and anyone who's seen a tv in the last 20 years will know who they are, and what they did.
They made us aware of the World Around Us...and in this day and age we need people to stand up and say 'hey look at me- this animal needs your help'....

You don't have to love everything about someone- after all- aren't there things about your kids/family/friends that you don't like? I appreciate people like Steve because they are proactive (as stupid as they sometime act)

JM 5cents (darn the government...bring back one and two cents) LOL!

I agree with Adam and Antaresia lady. I had a chance to watch Steve in action at Australia Zoo last year and although I thought he was crazy for jumping into the water just meters away from a gigantic crocodile (to show how it reacts to splashes in the water or something), I also noticed that he is using the money he makes from his antics to breed many endangered and also common animals in captivity eg. Aldabran Tortoise, Cassowary, Mary River Turtle, Fijian Crested Iguanas, Bilby, Giant Land Tortoise, Galapagos tortoise, Komodo Dragons, Rhinoceros Iguana). He has also funded research projects on dozens of animals and has numerous other conservation programs.

Crazy...but he puts his money where his mouth is.

If in doubt check it out http://www.australiazoo.com.au/

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just wanted you all to know what else he does besides play with venomous snakes on TV.

Cheers

Luke

i was watching a steve dvd the other night(i like steve) and he saw a snake on the road ,he tells the camera that it is a slatey grey, it then bites him, he goes back to the car looks in a book to see if a slatey grey is venomous or not to see if he needed to go to hospital? makes me question his knowledge a bit, but he a great showman!!

mrboajangles said:
i was watching a steve dvd the other night(i like steve) and he saw a snake on the road ,he tells the camera that it is a slatey grey, it then bites him, he goes back to the car looks in a book to see if a slatey grey is venomous or not to see if he needed to go to hospital? makes me question his knowledge a bit, but he a great showman!!

Maybe he knew but was just checking to show people that you can never be too sure, or maybe he's just an idiot :wink:

There is something all you people have forgotten or do not know.
Steve Irwin hates you. He has absolutely no respect for anyone who keeps reptiles.

TrueBlue said:
only incompetent keepers or keepers that dont have the balls to handle hot herps would ever remove the venom glands IMO. They shouldnt be keeping them in the first place.

I'll also drink to that! (ppsst, actually I'd drink to anything! :lol:)

It's unnecessary and unwarranted! :x Anyway, I'm not going to jump into this any further, most know my stance on the subject without replaying the same old harp :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back