Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Troyster, I certainly can't tell you what to do with your snake if you so choose. I'd say that most people with common sense know when is overkill. What worries me is what I kind of mentioned in my last post. Maybe common sense is not enough, snakes are more complex to read than say dogs which can bark, whine, grovel, shiver, yelp, wag tails etc. In which case I'd like to know more about correctly reading my reptile.

MMAnne said:
I also like to think my snake 'knows' me by sense of smell and identifies me as a non-threat

Snakes do come to recognise you and associate you with certain things. For example, I put my spotted on the lid of her click clack when feeding her. I'm the one that does it 99.9% of the time, and because of that, she knows food is coming, and so will sit patiently on the lid for the food to come. When I had a friend do it (put her on the same lid), the snake zipped right away, then when I put her back there a minute later, she stayed still. See what I mean?

DDALDD said:
Maybe common sense is not enough, snakes are more complex to read than say dogs which can bark, whine, grovel, shiver, yelp, wag tails etc. In which case I'd like to know more about correctly reading my reptile.

There's no manual for how to read your reptile. It comes with experience and getting to know said reptile.

I think if people want to handle their reptiles, then let them. If people don't, then that's fine, just don't try to impress your opinions on others. There is no "right" way for such things. It comes down the the reptile, the owner and commonsense.

just don't try to impress your opinions on others. There is no "right" way for such things. It comes down the the reptile, the owner and commonsense.

That's a sensible approach. With so many keepers saying that handling is fine, I'm inclined to believe that it is not necessarily detrimental to the animal. I guess I'm new and just wanting to get it right. :)

DDALDD said:
I guess I'm new and just wanting to get it right.

Which is absolutely fine. But as I said, there is no right way. You could spend ten years doing it one way, then start doing it another way because it's easier, or it's cheaper, or there's more evidence supporting it, or a multitude of different reasons. In my opinion, we don't know nearly as much about snakes as we like to think. The husbandry of them will keep evolving for a many, many years. I should think that keeper's views will evolve in the same manner.

I've read that rapid tongue flicking, constricting and rapid movement in general are signs that a snake is stressing. Is biting really the only real sign a snake is stressed?

Biting, flighty behavior, crapping on you, constricting are all things that reptiles in general do when they don't want to be handled.

Which is absolutely fine. But as I said, there is no right way.

Sure, there aren't any set right ways for things to be done but there definitely are wrong ways of handling snakes.

Snakes do come to recognise you and associate you with certain things. For example, I put my spotted on the lid of her click clack when feeding her. I'm the one that does it 99.9% of the time, and because of that, she knows food is coming, and so will sit patiently on the lid for the food to come. When I had a friend do it (put her on the same lid), the snake zipped right away, then when I put her back there a minute later, she stayed still. See what I mean?

I don't think this is as much a snake knowing you as it is routine.

As it has been said many times before, you can't make people do what you think is right for the snake. The best you can do is educate and inform them of what is considered better for the snake.

This applies to hatchling/juvie snakes and holds true for the vast majority of them.

To a small snake EVERYTHING is a threat.At such a small size they are close to the bottom of the food chain and they know it.

It is reacts the way it does because it is scared and forcing yourself on it will only add to its stress.A lot of the husbandy problems people encounter with their reptiles are a direct result of stress that can be attributed to either handling, bad husbandry practises or both.

Given the choice it would most likely want to get away from you but in the confines of a tub/cage or whatever that option isn't available to it so it has no choice but to bite.

Once they start to get a bit of size about them they don't automatically percieve everything as a threat and as a consequence tend to calm down.This happens without any interference from the keepers part.

Most adult pythons don't tend to react so badly to handling.Some don't seem to mind at all,others seem to tolerate it more or less.None however would crave or feel a need to be handled.They are not social animals in any way shape or form,they have very basic instincts and similarly very basic needs.

i think handling a snake is fine, zoo keepers do it for displays and stuff and they are experts and if it was bad for the snake they wouldent do it.

Unless their is any scientific effidence no one will really find out if its wrong or right,imo,i wouldnt think the bigger breeders and some smaller breeders wouldnt handle theirs a great deal,for alot of ppl with just 1 or a few reptiles they would be handled alot more.I dont like to handle hatchies unless cleaning,juvies a bit more,older,3-4years plus,i like to handle atleast once a week.This topic can go for days,I really think it depends on the reptile in question,some like be handled,some dont....

Our snakes are handled regularly, however we can see that it does stress some of them. We have a strict policy within Snakehandler to ensure we rotate the animals out from shows once they have been used for a day. typically our animals are only out for about 2-3 minutes each about 4-5 times a day, but hundreds of people touching them can stress them.

You need to understand your individual snake and its personality. One species we have found that does not tolerate handling often in diamond pythons, they seem more susceptible to stress than others.

One thing that is for certain is that while some of the animals do actually enjoy being handled many learn to tolerate it. We keep a record of what each animal does and ensure that they get at least 7 days off after being used in displays, parties or courses. We have not had any deaths due to handling or stress, we very rarely need to see a vet (usually to check new animals), and we breed several of our snakes every year....if they were over stressed due to any problem they wouldn't breed, I would have sick animals and we would have deaths.

MrSpike has it I think just rember that these are still wild animals. If you are slow and deliberate in your movements when you handle then your snake should be less stressed. Also there are different species to consider. Ground dwelers or tree climbers, stress levels for these guys are very different for example, a tree climber grasps its tail around your arm to feel secure where a ground dweller such as BHP prefer to be on the ground because they cant hang on. Handling for demonstration or husbandry (not fooling around) is part of the hobby. We dont handle ours regually because of the number of snakes and our breeding program. However we handle little ones regualy to get used to it.
Here is a reply I gave someone yesterday on the same topic.
Hi guys
As for handling and avoiding being mistaken for a potential food item we only handle our pythons during daylight hours and feed at night. We have never been taged doing it this way and if the enclosure door is opened at night you can see the attitude of the snakes change because they know food is on its way. When the snake gets older and biger a strike for food compaired a defencive strike are very different, dont get mistaken for a food item :shock: because they will hang on.
As mensioned a small snake will be defensive because as you can imagine in their eyes you are a huge moving heat emitter. But also striking is a good thing for keeping little ones feeding (compaired to limp or a placid young snake which can be hard to feed. I have had 2 here that took 7 MONTHS to take their first feed, but all is good now). But most will settle down in time.
We have all our snakes in a rutine as said above which keeps them calm at day and a good feeding responce at night just so the snake isnt confused at what is going to happen when you open the door at night - food or hand?
Just a thought:D

Troyster, I certainly can't tell you what to do with your snake if you so choose. I'd say that most people with common sense know when is overkill. What worries me is what I kind of mentioned in my last post. Maybe common sense is not enough, snakes are more complex to read than say dogs which can bark, whine, grovel, shiver, yelp, wag tails etc. In which case I'd like to know more about correctly reading my reptile.

IMO a fair indication of whether or not a snake is stressed is if it tries to hide if given the opportunity. There are also subtle signs in the way the snakes move etc. but its hard to describe and IMO not the sort of thing you can easily notice without experience. Obviously defensive biting is a sign of stress(unless its a feeding bite).

Most of the people who claim that there is absolutely no problem with handling pythons "as much as you want", are more then likely the owner of a spotted python, which they have owned for a couple of months, and since it is still alive, they know everything that there is to be known about reptile husbandry....
Sensible handling i.e when cleaning out enclosures, ect is fine (and valid for keeping an animal that can be inspected without inflicting too much stress), the problems occur when people come home pull out there animal and plonk down on the couch to watch 2 hours of tv, while there snake has fun with walkies.....

WoW i cant belive how many people dont handle there snakes. I find it is fine for my snakes to be handle everyday. If you wish to have a quite snake then it is a must you handle it when it is young! yes you may take a couple a of hits but big woop. My mates who have more snakes then me handle theres every night for a couple of hours, and their big BHP they take out in the sun to get his hit ove vitiman D for the day. Plus the snake catcher from here who is a good friend of my freinds and he was how i brought my recent little baby off. He handles his main snakes everyday, without a hassle. Also i handle mine whilst watching TV or a movie but never ever let her gone one the floor or leave my hands. well thats my oppion

Most of the people who claim that there is absolutely no problem with handling pythons "as much as you want", are more then likely the owner of a spotted python, which they have owned for a couple of months, and since it is still alive, they know everything that there is to be known about reptile husbandry....
Sensible handling i.e when cleaning out enclosures, ect is fine (and valid for keeping an animal that can be inspected without inflicting too much stress), the problems occur when people come home pull out there animal and plonk down on the couch to watch 2 hours of tv, while there snake has fun with walkies.....

Well put! couldnt agree more!

WoW i cant belive how many people dont handle there snakes. I find it is fine for my snakes to be handle everyday. If you wish to have a quite snake then it is a must you handle it when it is young! yes you may take a couple a of hits but big woop. My mates who have more snakes then me handle theres every night for a couple of hours, and their big BHP they take out in the sun to get his hit ove vitiman D for the day. Plus the snake catcher from here who is a good friend of my freinds and he was how i brought my recent little baby off. He handles his main snakes everyday, without a hassle. Also i handle mine whilst watching TV or a movie but never ever let her gone one the floor or leave my hands. well thats my oppion

Mate you dont have to handle a snake every day to have a quiet snake thats a load
of BS. We rarely handle ours except for husbandry requirements and cleaning and
dont have a bad natured snake amongst the lot.

Same here Beeman and caustic.....................what a croc that they have to be handled all the time to be quiet. They are afterall a native animal not a domesticated pet or fluffy toy.

I regularly handle all of my snakes but Tsar, a Darwin Python that will bite any object in close proximity to it. He gets really worked up even when i clean his enclosure so he only gets handle during clean time.

my 2.5 year old bredli just wants to be around us, as soon as i get home he starts hassling to come out, i open his cage, we cuddle for 10 mins then i put him down he curls up somewhere and watches telly with us.
sometimes he makes his way back onto the lounge and sits on me,...most of the time he wraps himself around the leg of the coffee table and looks in the direction of the TV, he does seem to like being part of teh 'family'.
(hes generally out for 6 hours a night)
if im cooking he sits across my shoulders (i like to keep an eye on him so he doesnt disappear) and he doesnt try to get down, just cruises around my shoulders,...

hes is definately not stressed by it,,,,whether or not he likes it i dont know (i guess he does otherwise he wouldnt plaster himself against the glass as soon as he sees me), i think i'm a favourite climbing object of his,...

i think its inmportant to have animals that dont get stressed by handling incase they get sick.

Wow Chris1, only 6 hours a night! You could have saved money on an enclosure by putting a pet basket at the bottom of the bed:lol:

hehe, he cant be trusted in a pet basket! :)
besides, thats where they boy beardie is gonna be sleeping soon since the dragons are now starting to wake up before me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back