Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing against handling reptiles..just especially NOT when they are hatchlings!
They are much easily stressed, will go off their food and become snappy!
From my experience they will naturally settle down just being handled once a week or whenever they need cleaning.
I understand that being a new snake owner you want to 'play' with it and touch it as much as possible, but I personally feel that snakes just don't like it and are the most fragile of all the reptiles. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to disagree with sooo much rubbish that has been written on this thread. if i was to truely write what i feel i would most likely end up with a infraction. so i will try and be fairly polite.
i do not and will never ever ever just handle for the "fun" of it.
snakes DO NOT WATCH TV OR MOVIES......
handling snakes for hours on end means you will most likely end up with a stressed out or sick snake.
just because it may sit there quitly certainly doesnt mean it is enjoying it. it simply means it is just simply putting up with you annoying it every second of the day.
i really would love to write how i feel right now, but.....
i have only been keeping snakes for 7 years, in that time i only take out for feeding, cleaning, overall health checks, strecth on the grass and THATS ALLL... i havnt had a sick snake, and i think its due to the fact they arnt stressed. they have there own locked room , and i check on them everyday. i dont even need to open any enclosures to check on them, just simply look through at them.
snakes are meant to be looked at , not touched.
for the people out there who think its "ok" to hold there snakes everyday for hours at a time, or have them loose in the house watching tv, then i think that this is the wrong hobby to be in, and i do feel sorry for the reptiles in care.
this reply HAS NOT been pointed at anyone , just a general reply to the thread.
hope i havnt offended anyone, hav my flame suit on anyway. so theres my rant,

i have to disagree with sooo much rubbish that has been written on this thread. if i was to truely write what i feel i would most likely end up with a infraction. so i will try and be fairly polite.
handling snakes for hours on end means you will most likely end up with a stressed out or sick snake.
just because it may sit there quitly certainly doesnt mean it is enjoying it. it simply means it is just simply putting up with you annoying it every second of the day.
i have only been keeping snakes for 7 years, in that time i only take out for feeding, cleaning, overall health checks, strecth on the grass and THATS ALLL... i havnt had a sick snake, and i think its due to the fact they arnt stressed. they have there own locked room , and i check on them everyday. i dont even need to open any enclosures to check on them, just simply look through at them.
for the people out there who think its "ok" to hold there snakes everyday for hours at a time, or have them loose in the house watching tv, then i think that this is the wrong hobby to be in, and i do feel sorry for the reptiles in care.

I agree ... not ok to hold snakes for hours at a time. Still, I think your never handle except for husbandry approach comes from your view of keeping snakes as a hobby, as apposed to those who have a small number of snakes which they see as pets.

This is a fundemental difference of perspective. For example, someone who has a 'pet' snake (and handles responsible for short periods with respect to the animals wellbeing and behaviour) might find it hard to understand how the attitude of 'snakes arn't meant to be touched, just looked at' can be held, when at the same time you could just as well argue 'snakes are wild animals and should be left as such and not held/bred in captivity'.

My opinion (which apparently - according to some people - is invalid as I am a first time owner of a spotted python), is that it's up to the individual if they handle or not, but if so the person needs to take their cues from the animal itself.

Lizzie

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, your comment bears an unfortunate similarity to the i have a cute hatchling spotted python and i hold it every day from when i get home to when i get to bed.

The similar factor is a total lack of anything but supposition and personal anecdotes. "snakes are meant to be looked at , not touched." This comment is the worst part of it.

Snakes aren't meant for anything. nor are humans - except survival.

At the end of the day it woudl be impossible for someone who has a large collection to hold any animal for an extended period of time on a regular basis, the amountof animals would prohibit this.

HOwever, some snakes can respond well to situations such as this with no ill effects. Some don't respond badly to extended periods of handling.

ITS AN INDIVIDUAL ANIMAL TRAIT, not a you have to keep them like this, with your cage facing north to south, the feng shui just right, you must never open a cage without first repeating a sutra and dancing around in a circle 35 times clockwise and 43.2 times anti-clockwise.

Just because you have managed to keep your own collection in this way, doesn't necessarily mean its the only way to do things.

Look at the american bearded dragon information given about the necessity for daily bathing.
It may work, but its certainly not a necessity.

the argument is similar to this.

Just as some dogs are totally intolerant of contact with people or other dogs, some are not.

You'd be inexcusably hypocritical for claiming that similar individual behavioural variation cannot exhibit itself int he reptilian world as well.

Last edited:
I dont care what any of you say :rolleyes: Im gunna get a (fake) diamond collar and lead for my beloved pet diamond python "pinchy'
so we can play in the park together and have fun even though she has trouble catching the frisbee in her mouth but she'll soon learn :D

she was named after homer simpsons pet lobster "pinchy" :D

I dont care what any of you say :rolleyes: Im gunna get a (fake) diamond collar and lead for my beloved pet diamond python "pinchy'
so we can play in the park together and have fun even though she has trouble catching the frisbee in her mouth but she'll soon learn :D

how many people do you think actually missed that correlation?

I've always handled snakes for hours at a time. It depends on the snake completely. If the snake becomes stressed, it goes back into the enclosure.

Some people need to get off their high horses and realise that not everyone does things the way their do. Their word is not gospel. Agree to disagree. If Chris1 gets her snake out at night for hours at a time, then no one should condemn her. If zoocam wants to believe what she believes, then that is her opinion, and that's fine. As I've said repeatedly, there are many different ways of caring for snakes, and everyone should respect that.

Last edited:
whilst i respect the opnions of everyone else. i too have my opinon. pls note that i never said that my way is the ONLY way, i was just stating that, that is how i keep my reptiles and i havnt had any problems with it.
and colin, i think ur jungles would look lovely in a dimaond encrusted collar and lead :D

If she gets dirty on her walk, you can put her in a nice hot bath.

Some people need to get off their high horses and realise that not everyone does things the way their do. Their word is not gospel. Agree to disagree. .

Who exactly is on their "high horse"? As far as I can see no-one has been targetted in particular, and differing opinions have been expressed (which was the intention of this thread)
At the end of the day it is up to each keeper to decide how best to care for their animals. However I think giving out sound proven husbandry advice should take precedence over baseless claims which do not aide the animal in any way.:D

Some people need to get off their high horses and realise that not everyone does things the way their do.

when a live animals health and well being is possibly being threatened by someones well meaning but incorrect care, dont you think its in the best interests of both the animal and the keeper to be advised of usual methods that people with more experience care for their animals with time proven excellent results? Or should these people just bite their tongue and let these well meaning but inexperienced and (sorry - no offence intended to any particular person) possibly incompetent newbie keepers continue these unrecomended practises?

If the same thing was applied to say a dog or a horse or a child.. where well meaning but inexperienced and possiblly incompetent people were doing things that may endanger the health or well being of a dog, horse or child, people would be outraged and ring the RSPCA or child welfare. So why should people allow these owners to continue without friendly advice and help. After all this is supposed to be a reptile forum where new keepers learn from more experienced keepers time and tested methods in caring for animals that these new keepers basically have no experience or know much about?

Just because someone buys an animal doesn't give them the right to treat them any way they see fit.

As I've said repeatedly, there are many different ways of caring for snakes and everyone should respect that. .

exactly true.... some right ways and a lot of wrong ways :lol:

I respect everyones right to have an opinion... but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it right :D

well, Lokis thriving after 2 and a half years of incorrect care from an imcompetant keeper,...so theres more than 1 way to successfully keep animals. :p

well, Lokis thriving after 2 and a half years of incorrect care from an imcompetant keeper,...so theres more than 1 way to successfully keep animals. :p

It’s probably more a case of good luck than good management...

you said it :lol: but I’m glad we can both agree on your competence at least :D that’s a start..
it's spelt incompetent not imcompetant by the way Chris

snakes are different to keeping dragons if that’s what "loki" is.. I've been keeping snakes for over 20 years and still find a lot to learn...

like I said earlier.. I respect everyones right to have an opinion... but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it right :D cheers

like I said earlier.. I respect everyones right to have an opinion... but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it right :D cheers

haha, exactly, so what makes urs so right?
(the fact that it came from u!!? LOL)

Lokis a bredli, i wish he didnt wanna come out every night cos i'd prefer to crash on the lounge which i cant do while hes out,...
btw, i was being sarcastic with the comment on my incompetence, i'm so happy you agree! :p

haha, exactly, so what makes urs so right?
(the fact that it came from u!!? LOL)

Lokis a bredli, i wish he didnt wanna come out every night cos i'd prefer to crash on the lounge which i cant do while hes out,...
btw, i was being sarcastic with the comment on my incompetence, i'm so happy you agree! :p

no not because its come from "me" :rolleyes: because its a similar opinion held by experienced keepers of long standing and experience...
whereby yours is held by you and other inexperienced keepers that anthropomorphosise their animals.. thats why..

just one thing though please.. next time pinchy (ooops I mean loki) is out watching television with you.. cover his eyes if your watching the simpsons whacking day episode as that may traumatise the little guy :lol:

whackingday.jpg

when a live animals health and well being is possibly being threatened by someones well meaning but incorrect care, dont you think its in the best interests of both the animal and the keeper to be advised of usual methods that people with more experience care for their animals with time proven excellent results? Or should these people just bite their tongue and let these well meaning but inexperienced and (sorry - no offence intended to any particular person) possibly incompetent newbie keepers continue these unrecomended practises?

If the same thing was applied to say a dog or a horse or a child.. where well meaning but inexperienced and possiblly incompetent people were doing things that may endanger the health or well being of a dog, horse or child, people would be outraged and ring the RSPCA or child welfare. So why should people allow these owners to continue without friendly advice and help. After all this is supposed to be a reptile forum where new keepers learn from more experienced keepers time and tested methods in caring for animals that these new keepers basically have no experience or know much about?

I respect everyones right to have an opinion... but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it right :D

very well put colin :D
mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back