Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuttley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am not ready to be buying anything at this stage, but looking for ideas of python species that might suit me,so I will be well prepared when the time is right for buying something. It would be my first snake, but not my first reptile.

Some parameters;
  • Preferably $700 or less for a hatchling
  • Prefer 2m or less adult size
  • Nothing renowned for aggressive behaviour
  • Would like something 'a little different' whether that be a colour/pattern variation that is not standard or something else that is slightly unusual? (not very specific I know, but that's why I am asking for suggestions here!)
Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Bhp

You might be lucky and be able to pick up a BHP. What a first snake. Otherwise if the $$$$ you have you could pick up a top black and gold Jungle.

Then you could go for Childreni, Bredli, etc etc etc.

Do your homework, have your set-up just right and obviously license and then you'll be ready to make an informed decision;)

womas are great although it might be hard to find one for $700 although you could get a male for not much more.
A BHP would be another good choice once you would be able to pick up a male for around that price.

jungles are more known to be aggessive (I have never owned a jungle) from what i have heard. Alot of male womas wont grow over 2m
but yeah BHP prob will

I am in NSW. I have heard jungles have a rep for being snappy, is this deserved? Hoping to avoid spawn of satan types for my first snake....

Jungles

I've got some Atherton Jungles and they are as placid as can be. A hatchy will probably be a bit snappy anyway and they don't hurt when they tag. With handling a hatchy should be fine in due course.

Need to be on Class 2 for womas in NSW although I have heard talk through ppl in our local herp club that they may have been down graded to class 1. I guess they haven't done that yet.

Go a diamond or diamond intergrade. Most placid temperament I've ever seen :D & still a very handsome looking python.

Murray darlings, excellent temprement and dont get as big as some of the other carpet species

Go a B&G jungle, without a doubt. Just choose based on temperament not pattern. The breeder can usually tell you if there is one a bit quieter then others. You will get tagged a bit when they are new ... but it's a snake, its expected. It will calm down. Try to look at the parents first, just gives you an idea of the colouring your little one might turn out like.
Good luck.

- As temprements go I would sugest a MD $200 + or BHP $700 - $1200 they don't bite and are very timmid.
- As size goes a MD grows to about 2 metres or so but they are slow growers depending how much you feed them.
- you could also get spotteds, macs, childrens.$100 - $300
- As for stunning colours you could get jungles but they grow as big as coastals 3 metres + and they do have a rep for being snappy, but it depends where you buy them. I recoment buying from Jungle Freak on here he sells top line jungles stunning colours and ranging from $450 - $700 per pair

cheers Jody

get a murray darling python they rock. they are a really nice looking snake and great temprement as well.

hydro

if u want something that is gonna grow under 2m perhaps u are better off going for something like a blonde spotted or a stimmi.... chris-cool has an awesome stimmi named ziggy if u search his threads you will find some nice pics....

As for jungles.... unfortunately most i have come into contact with (including my own) are a little bit mental.... but thye are beautiful anyway.... and some locales dont get as big as other morelia but i'm not an expert if u search jungle threads u will find which ones they are.... my kuranda is tiny probably half the length of a yearling coastal....

I would recommend a Diamond python first...

DP's fit all your python requirements although can grow longer than 2meters (they generally max out around 2m-2.5).

They have an interesting/different pattern&coloration, they are easy to look after, very docile (being the ultimate cold weather python they would always prefer to conserve energy and hide, than to strike and fight), and are usually also well priced though pet shops prices are higher.

Next suggestion would be a Murray Darling carpet. A great 1st choice, nice patterning, affordable, and very hardy.

After that i would be looking at Bredli, Childreni, Stimsons... All beautiful pythons (i would go Bredli 1st )

I never forgot the BHP but they can be a little more pricey. And i wouldn't suggest a 1st time herper to start off with a BHP....

Jungle pythons fit all your requirements... Not only are they affordable, but the markings and coloration make this python desirable for most visually attuned collectors. I would not recommend for a 1st snake, but many members here have started with a jungle python and never looked back.

good luck with whatever you end up choosing. ;) Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back