Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well what do you think?

• Morphs are ok, but hybrids are just wrong.

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Hybrids are fine, as long as there healthy.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Who cares, as long as they look awsome.

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Pure is the ONLY way to advance our hobby.

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • Go away Donkey you idiot (plz someone ban him for good).

Votes: 35 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

da_donkey

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With the threads popping up recently on morphs and hybrids i thought i would open the can of worms again with a poll.

Before you flame me with "this has been done to death",

APS IMO is becoming used more and more by "younger" and "newer" people to the hobby, and i am very interested in what they think on this debate.

cheers

donk

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to add comments on what you think.

And please dont pick on anyone because of how they feel on the subject, everyone is entitled to there opinion, if you think it is right or wrong is only your opinion.

cheers :)

donk

colour morphs etc within a species are cool and diversify the available species nicely

I dont really agree with hybrids (I wouldnt get one) but it depends on how close the species are to how wrong it is imo.
eg. that woma x carpet is so wrong but I can understand a coastal x diamond.

that said some hybrids do look pretty eg GTPxcarpet -jmo
so really its all down to personal preference I guess

I'm a newbie to the hobby and have purebreds (..as far as I know ;)).. but in my opinion (cuz everyone cares about my opinion) as long as the animals are sold as what they actually are, it's okay to have hybrids.

Maybe a reptile pedigree association could be started up to help ensure animals that are sold as purebreds are in fact just that.. it could also help to curb grossly inbreeding animals (which, in my opinion is also not good).

It would take a lot of work and some very dedicated hobbyists to start up though.

Who wants to clarify what is what for the youngens?
As in a hybrid is...................and a morph is...........differences being.............? :p

as long as the animals are sold as what they actually are

I agree, if you know what you are getting then i dont really care hybrid or morph as long as they are happy and healthy and pretty ;)

Some people have very strong opinions about this and get all high and mighty about how wrong this is....but the reality is it happens species wide and always will.

I have read a few comments about the amount of young herpers on this site. Just by looking at who is online right now, there are more 'older' members online than teenagers. Perhaps it just seems like there are more young herpers as they tend to post a lot more than some of the older members. I'm not saying this is a bad thing...although some of the advice they give makes me laugh sometimes. Fortunately there are plenty of experienced herpers on APS to give the right advice when it is needed.

i actually think say a carpetxball is better than a carpet x diamond, crossing species that look very different its going to be very hard to pass them off as pure where as there are plenty of muddied lines of carpets going around and no1 is the wiser. At least there are still people focusing on breeding locality specific animals, as long as we have people like that there is some hope for the hobby.

Well so far we have learnt that, almost as many people hate me as they do hybrids:lol:

"bumpity"

Cheers

donk

unless your really a mule that was sold as a donkey, then there would be problems

it's ok if it's unintentional, just don't do it again. Don't breed from them, morphs are kool. breeding from different localities is ok but really what do you get from xing localities? But half the time you just don't know!!!! but I do feel intentionally xing one genus with another is wrong

it's ok if it's unintentional, just don't do it again. Don't breed from them, morphs are kool. breeding from different localities is ok but really what do you get from xing localities? But half the time you just don't know!!!! but I do feel intentionally xing one genus with another is wrong

Unintentional?
Any keeper who unitentionally crosses something is a complete and utter moron or is a liar,take your pick.

Who wants to clarify what is what for the youngens?
As in a hybrid is...................and a morph is...........differences being.............? :p

I agree with Tatelina...
Can anybody explain the difference between morphs and hybrids to us newbies...?
Well I guess I understand what hybrids are: snakes born from 2 different species (or sub-species)...
What about morphs...?
I guess it has been answered in other threads, but as it was mentioned in the first post, this subject has been mentioned in many threads... so why not recap the basics here and now and tell the young or new keepers what they really are, and if it's good for our passion: the snakes themselves....

Thanks to you all.....

Cheers,
Yann.

im my mind hybrids are okay if they are not miss represented to buyers and if records are kept so in the end someone still has some 'pure' snakes. It would be a problem if, like dingoes, there are none left in the end that are pure but i cant see that really happening- there are too many people who love each type for what it is

a morph is just a genetic mutation, it can happen at anytime, albino, hypo, hyper etc are all morphs, they are pure species but there was a mistake in the dna and it may be missing a color or have extra, a hybrid is a cross between 2 species or subspecies, bredli x jungle, carpet x ball, coastal x diamond.

It would be a problem if, like dingoes, there are none left in the end that are pure but i cant see that really happening

That is exactly what will happen - you only have to look at overseas collections and forums to find out how difficult it is to get your hands on many 'pure' snakes let alone locality specific snakes...

a morph is just a genetic mutation, it can happen at anytime, albino, hypo, hyper etc are all morphs, they are pure species but there was a mistake in the dna and it may be missing a color or have extra, a hybrid is a cross between 2 species or subspecies, bredli x jungle, carpet x ball, coastal x diamond.

Thanks hornet...
Things are clearer to me now...
Now I've got one more question, and don't have a go at me for it, please...
Why would people cross different species or sub-species...? It's like crossing a cat with a dog, or a chimp with a gorilla... It doesn't make sense to me...
Is it because people want to be some little Dr Frankeinstein trying out experiments, or are they looking for the perfect breed...?

Thanks
Yann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back