Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mammino90

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi every one i know alot of people will probly have a lot of bad coments to this but i was woundering how many people use a glove to get ther snake out of the enclsoure i started a while ago coz my coastal was looking like it wanted to bite me he is not very big but is my first snake so was a bit nerves and now if i try to get him with out the glove he acks wierd but as soon as i use the glove he lets me pick him up no worries is this ok would like to know if any one else uses a glove

Why would anyone make bad comments on something that could be considered a safety matter.

I use a leather glove to remove some of my adult snakes from their cages, have done for years.
It's a lot better than having a large jungle or BHP hanging off your hand or arm.

I often use an oven mitt to get my female water python out.

Me too, particularly when I was getting used to handling them.

Why would anyone make bad comments on something that could be considered a safety matter.

I use a leather glove to remove some of my adult snakes from their cages, have done for years.
It's a lot better than having a large jungle or BHP hanging off your hand or arm.

this is one of the worst thing i think a snake handler can do :(
if your scared of it dont own it . get a lizard
if you put your hand in and it strikes the first reaction is to pull away most time resulting in the snake doing damage to its teeth, and opening up to cancur or mouth rot , not worth the trouble it dosnt matter how big they are get to know your snake and its attidude when opening the cage use a stick and see what mood its in but never a leather glove just asking for trouble

ops forgot
safety mater for you or the snake . the snake is the one that comes off worse

not to mention using gloves mean you dont actually feel the contact between your hand and the snake and could possibly do damage to the snake by using unnecessary force etc

buy a hook

not to mention using gloves mean you dont actually feel the contact between your hand and the snake and could possibly do damage to the snake by using unnecessary force etc

buy a hook
or a cat that wont scare you

The only time i have used gloves is when i am worried about contamination.
Then i will use disposable plastic or rubber gloves.
if you are worried about a bite when taking the snake out, get a hook ..or a lizard

I often use an oven mitt to get my female water python out.

I only use a towel when picking up my Water Python, and it goes on the ground.
My Water never pees or poos in her cage, she will wait until I try and get her out.
Not pretty.....

But yeah, you're going to have to get used to been bitten eventually. Its part of snake keeping.
Trust me, once you learn to control your reflexes you'll be fine. Well with little snakes anyway.
Handle a snappy hatchling and get used to actually been biten first.

But if you just really dont want to be bitten, buy a hook.

Last edited:
I don't use a glove but do use a different trick for one of my adult Jungles that is still quite snappy. Use a pillow case or hand towel and place it over his head and/or body then pick him up as soon as the pillow case is let down. You can use the pillow case to pick up the part of his body that's under the pillow case and your hand to pick up the rest of his body that is exposed. Works quite well when the whole process is done in one smooth motion.

Cheers,
Allan

i can under stand a new comer thinking a glove would be a good choice but to say this
(The devil )
BAD INFO !!!!!!!!!

We did the same with my coastal and looking back (shes almost 7 foot now) I was scared of a 30cm baby hatchy!! But thats okay. We are all new once and ignore the peeps who tell you not ot have a snake. Its just your initial reaction and getting over that fear. TBH what worked for my husband and I was was letting a hatchy bite us and you think. Is that it?!?! lol Then you start to lose the fear.

We handle our snakes effortlessly now and dont use hooks or gloves. We are really confident and thats really all it is. Building confidence with your snake. They will sense it too.

I used gloves cause my hands would sweat so bad and cause friction and make her jumpy which maybe your issue. Try making sure your hands are super dry and use the back of your hands as much as possible. Youll get confident but dont beat yourself up on it. Just takes time is all :)

i can under stand a new comer thinking a glove would be a good choice but to say this
(The devil )
BAD INFO !!!!!!!!!

So your saying it's better to be regularly bitten by a large snake than avoiding being bitten altogether if you can?
That's great advice.

this is one of the worst thing i think a snake handler can do :(
if your scared of it dont own it . get a lizard
if you put your hand in and it strikes the first reaction is to pull away most time resulting in the snake doing damage to its teeth, and opening up to cancur or mouth rot , not worth the trouble it dosnt matter how big they are get to know your snake and its attidude when opening the cage use a stick and see what mood its in but never a leather glove just asking for trouble

ops forgot
safety mater for you or the snake . the snake is the one that comes off worse

You seem to be quite the accomplished herper, getting up people that have been in the hobby for years with untold experience. I recall you doing the same thing in the Burtons thread.

omg i cant believe what i am reading please some one else speak out and put these keeprs on the right track

If you can't handle it,don't have it.If it scares you and you can't get passed it,get rid of it.If you can't afford to keep it in 110% lifestyle,sell it.

The only time i have used gloves is when i am worried about contamination.
Then i will use disposable plastic or rubber gloves.
if you are worried about a bite when taking the snake out, get a hook ..or a lizard
how does this help

You seem to be quite the accomplished herper, getting up people that have been in the hobby for years with untold experience. I recall you doing the same thing in the Burtons thread.
how does this help if you cant then dont say anything i have been keeping for over twenty years just because i dont post on every thing to boost my name dosent mean i dont know the differnce between a pet keeper and amateur reptile enthusiast

I suspect if you were a little older than perhaps twenty you'd offer your advice without dismissing everyone else in the manner in which you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back