Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i use either a hook or glove. depending on which snake im getting out. i have a sight imparement and i dont want to startle my animals and im a chicken( self admittedly) with my big guys i hook them out. with the little tackers i'm using the glove to get them out then take it off. they all think food when they see me coming but i open the tub they see the glove and the food response is gone. its my best friend. i do leave it on with one of the little guys as its still leaning to accept me however in 3 short sessions we went from 10 bites in 5 min to 2 bites in 10 min.. works for me..

:D I must say that it was much nicer and calmer to see these new responses.
I had had a crappy day the other day when i got the ****s about the replies but i'm glad the new replies are much nicer. Thanks guys for settling it all down and giving useful nice answers. Well done!

burt wouldnt the same snake still get mouth rot and get sick if it bite u and left some teeth in your skin rather then a glove ? lol u have no idea - do u even own a snake ?

no, a glove of any type won't rip or tear, skin on the other hand does, and leaves far more teeth intact.

I think he has quite a good idea of what he's talking about, you on the other hand... but good luck!

Why is every body giving someone a hard time about wearing a glove? Do you think everybody should get bitten just to prove they can handle the pain?

After my Diamond bit me for the first time I'll admit I was a little intimidated so I wore a glove when I handled her, which wasn't often really. When I realised the reason she bite me wasn't anger I made the effort to lose the glove. Never did she strike at the glove, so the thought of losing teeth in it wasn't an issue.

Now that I handle her again without a glove I am more careful about how I hold her. she is very nervous when I hold her and she holds on tight to my arms.

I say do whatever makes your experience with reptiles more enjoyable for you, not what others think you should do.

Mammino90
Don’t listen to anyone condemning you for using a glove. After a while you will gain confidence and may not want to wear one anyway. I know a few well known keepers who started off using gloves as well and so what.
There are plenty of prickly snakes that will gladly turn you into a well used dart board without using a bit of common sense. I have an Olive python that I sometimes flick a shirt onto before I reach him out especially if I sense he is in feeding mode. Been bitten hundreds of times and normally it doesn’t faze me, but bites from large pythons normally means me jumping around bleeding and whining and I don’t care for it that much. I would like to see some of these people advising to forget your gloves pull out a few of the large scrub pythons I used to own out of their enclosure with exposed flesh. Bites from huge Scrub pythons aren’t much fun.

Geez. If it helps you and gives you confidence to handle your snake in a better way.... USE THE GLOVE LUKE!!!! (Star Wars reference...)
Does it Really matter others opinions? use a glove to get them out if its easier for you to do so, then as you gain confidence, you can lose the glove. I'm admittedly very new to this, but I have done my reading and I have asked advice, and I have had a number of bites, and I love my animals and try to do the best for them. I'm all for gloves if it helps. Diff'rent strokes for Diff'rent folks...
(and I think C.Bayo was a little "harsh" unnecessarily - but again, that IS only my opinion. Which I'm entitled to, and entitled to express... ;))
(Totally admire Em for speaking up)

There is no need for gloves. A towel, cotton bag or hook is more than enough - even for the bigger animals. Yes, I have had to get a very unhappy scrub out from his cage. No, I did not use gloves. I can be a chicken ****, but the animal damaging its teeth is more of an incentive to not use gloves than being bitten and uncomfortable for a few days.

Last edited:
Even people who're used to handling snakes and being bitten don't necessarily want to get tagged every time they get out a snake.

I love snakes, i happen to hate being bitten by them or anything for that matter. I don't mind the pain element but it just seems like a waste of time allowing the snake to strike at my arms and hands when it could have been avoided. I also don't like to chance scarring my tattoos. I think someone has already mentioned it but snakes bite at a glove or a towel alot less than they do at a warm hand.. In my experience anyway.

I'll get a snake out with my bare hands if i know it's not a psychopath but using gloves is fine. That crap about hurting the snake because you can't feel it properly is ludacris, you've got to be pretty retarded to be applying that much pressure.

Once you get to know your snake you'll be able to tell whether he's ready to strike or not and you'll start getting more confident. Maybe if you get him out using the gloves and once he's out handle him without them. Being bitten while you're holding one is often far less suprising than being launched at from an enclosure.

Gees I just read all those posts.. At the end of it all Crystal has the right idea to use a hook or place a towel, piece of cardboard over its head if its a bit bitey, there 99% fine generally once out.

People get so worked up in there responses. I find it amusing and think they should be issued a Badge so they feel special.

after a feed my jungle gets a bit fisty so i use a glove to but infront of him to strike at before i get him out of his feeding tub to put him back in his cage. after he strikes the glove he seems to realize he isn't getting anymore food and calms down.

probably because you havent help but just shot people down trying to give there advice :)
AHAHAHAHAHA, I seriously laughed so hard at that.
That's all you've done this thread..
I've got a vicious bredli, he bites at anything that moves, i don't see the point in gloves because.. unless you've got a opening-from-the-top tank, or a tiny tank, there's still plenty of places for the snake to bite you. Also unless your superman, i don't see how you can't judge how much pressure your holding the snake with?.
Use a snake hook, There a magical thing.

Last edited:
If you're new to the game, use what's comfortable. It won't be long before the snake's used to you and you're used to it and then gloves might be completely unnecessary. When I first got my BHP I was so nervous with her and used Longqi's bag method to handle her. But after a while I realised that she's an absolute dream and use a hook to pull her head from enclosure, then use hands to lift her body. She's getting used to me, and I to her, you just have to ease into it.
Everyone here is going to have a different opinion with regards handling due to different upbringing, experience with reptiles and the individual snakes they own. As such, there's no hard and fast rule with handling. If you're comfortable and your snake is calm, then use the gloves! They must be doing something right. Best of luck mate, hope everything goes well =)

every one take wally76 advice
ops thats right he didnt give any !!!!?????????
use a glove dont use a glove who cares when you get a vet bill dont wright in here whinging about mouth rot because your snake lost some teeth and and got sick
listen to what people say, some are to scare to form an opinion because of other members like wally76 putting them down with out giving any advice a number at the end of your name dosnt mean you know every thing just that you have no life and sit on forums promoting your self
yes i will take warning for this

Not trying to get up ya mate,

Bruce Lee was as fast as a snake strike, I doubt any of us are as fast as he was.

He wont have time to pull back and break the snakes teeth.
UNLESS, the snake was to hang on... if its a little snake, I would assume its a defensive bite, and don't believe it would hang on.

That's just my opinion.

Anyway, I read some more of the thread and everyone seems to have moved on...

To the thread starter
I used a glove first, as I was a little scared too, first snake now I look back and laugh...
I don't know what you mean by "acts weird" I would just put my hand in from now on and pick it up.

If the snake is a cage defensive, as other people have said, get a hook or what I did was move the log she was in, outside so she could come out at her own pace.

Another thing I did, was I placed a used shirt in the tank... assuming she would get used to the smell of me, and see me as no danger.
I don't know if it worked or not, but I never got bitten by her... it made me feel safer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a yearling Bredli, he's about 700mm long & pretty cage defensive at the moment (only had him 2 weeks).... stick your hand in & everytime you get tagged. Fortunately it doesn't hurt but he does make me bleed. I haven't used a glove with him (but I've considered it), I am however trying different ways, angles etc to lift him out. Nothing has worked yet ;)

There is no need for gloves. A towel, cotton bag or hook is more than enough - even for the bigger animals. Yes, I have had to get a very unhappy scrub out from his cage. No, I did not use gloves. I can be a chicken ****, but the animal damaging its teeth is more of an incentive to not use gloves than being bitten and uncomfortable for a few days.

Is there a great deal of difference between using a glove or as suggested a towel or cotton bag. All are doing the same job, protecting your hand!!!!!!

Can't understand why people suggest that with using a glove you can't tell how much pressure you are exerting on the snake.
Hello,hello, I work in leather gloves most days doing at times some fairly delicate tasks, never had a problem.

Use a glove, use a stick, hook, bag, towel, who cares and does it really matter.

There is NO right way and NO wrong way, nothing suggested so far will harm your snake so whatever you are happy and confident with.

My sister has a way of handling snakes that do harm them, she uses a steel garden rake. I'm trying to convience her that pythons are harmless but as she says the horses don't know that.

Yaknow, I've only used very light cotton gardening gloves. No need (in my case) for the big strong leather jobbies. Very very minimal risk to the animals' mouth/teeth and you can tell how much pressure you're holding with. I only used them a couple of times just to get the snake out, got a bit more confidence and don't need them anymore.

Following is an excerpt from Longqi (I am sure he won't mind) on behavioural training that he posted in another thread. I reproduce it because this explains the theory behind Longqi’s technique. Whether the rationale is correct remains to be seen but the technique has the runs on the board to support it. This also helps to explain why a covered / gloved hand helps so much. Bits and pieces of similar explanations were also posted by others.

When working with young snakes I have no doubt you can take the training one step further, when the snake is ready, and gradually dispense with any hand covering all together, with changing its inclination to not to bite. Older snakes can also have their behaviour modified through behaviour. However, their temperaments are not a malleable as when they were younguns so you may only be able to take it so far.

“If it works, do it!” has been said by numerous posters and I agree. The ultimate goal of all techniques should be the same - a calm, handleable snake. That should be the yardstick against which the technique is evaluated. Not whether you need to man up and grow a pair etc. or this is how we have been doing it for 50 years.

I very rarely get tagged even though the vast majority of our snakes are wild caught
I put this down to one thing only
Every snake is lifted from its viv using cotton bags like small pillowcases covering your hands/lower arms
The touch of hot sweaty human hands on nice calm snake scares the snake
The bags insulate the snake from direct contact with skin
Just gently pick it up
Let it sit on the bag and after a while it will start to explore
When it is ready it will move off the bag onto your arm
Dont try to push this
Let it begin to trust you
It will quickly associate the bag with no danger
I have done this with every snake we own and everyone who plays with ours say they are the gentlest snakes they have ever seen

Have a gander at facebook [email protected] ... or .. [email protected]
The results of doing this method are very clear to see

Blue

Gees I just read all those posts.. At the end of it all Crystal has the right idea to use a hook or place a towel, piece of cardboard over its head if its a bit bitey, there 99% fine generally once out.

People get so worked up in there responses. I find it amusing and think they should be issued a Badge so they feel special.

I am afraid I must be a bit slow, because I don’t get it? Would you please explain to me what was amusing in what you refer to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back