Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
probably because you havent help but just shot people down trying to give there advice :)

Not at all. I reminded you that it's ok to give advice without being disparaging to others. I felt you had some form in this area previously is all. At the same time I was reminding you of this I was also providing another member in a different thread some advice on an injured bearded dragon, which I'm always happy to do.

Not at all. I reminded you that it's ok to give advice without being disparaging to others. I felt you had some form in this area previously is all. At the same time I was reminding you of this I was also providing another member in a different thread some advice on an injured bearded dragon, which I'm always happy to do.
still no advice in this post you haven helped one bit but to cause trouble a high number dosent mean you can stir the pot it dosnt help APS one bit just give it a bad rep

mammino 90 sorry this thread got out of hand was just giving you some advice take it or leave it , but i have heard it over and over before gloves are no good use a hook if you can better for you and better for the snake

Last edited:
Here's how I see it (from a noob perspective as much as anything)

I don't use a glove, I probably wont. But i do use a hook................ at the moment. I may not always use it.

It's a completely natural instinct (human reflex) to pull away if something comes at you. It's the whole "BOO!" thing in a haunted house you used to visit as a kid. You KNOW it's not real, yet you still jump. Same with being flown at by a python. It is UNNATURAL........... NOT to pull away. Remaining still is a learned composure that does take time for many people to aquire.

Using a glove to decensitise oneself to a bite, instead of being bitten on the flesh and pulling away, isn't a bad thing. A glove is a consistant smell and feel and eventually some people may not use them, but others will for life...... Nothing wrong with that. And it's not to say they are for anything other than removing a snake from it's enclosure. If I wanted to, I would........ AND I'd happily cop the flack for it. It's disheartening to see so many people attacking eachother over a personal preference!

To the OP, I say do whatever makes you feel as comfortable as possible, research and try a few diffrent techniques maybe, then settle for the one that makes you and your snake/s most comfortable.

I'm interested Em1986, is your displeasure aimed at me?

Not at all Wally :) I don't have anything against anyone on here, i am just sick of seeing this type of thing on here on a daily basis. Same crap different thread.

You give me pleasure Wally :lol: jks
ps i haven't read half of the replies, i got through the fitst page or so and couldn't stand it anymore lol

Last edited:
As you may see from my photo we play with Chondros etc here and hand them to complete strangers every day
Everyone who drops in comments on how placid and laid back all our snakes are
As an integral part of Bali Reptile Rescue we also handle a lot of wild and injured snakes
As Reptile Demonstrators for far too many years we have only ONE thing that has remained constant

Every single snake is removed from its viv using a cloth or a cloth bag

Our record is second to none with only one biting incident in 17 years
[young lady had her pet rat in her back pack and was bitten on the shoulder]

As far as I can tell the ONLY reason our record is so good is because of the bags
Every snake knows its bag and quickly understands that it will be handled when it sees the bag coming

We now own a hook
First time ever as I really dont think they are required for any pythons
This hook is only used for relocating vens like Cobras and Kraits
[as 50% of krait bites result in death I think using a hook there is a necessary practice]

To those who believe that pulling your hand away from a bite can damage a snakes mouth you are totally correct
That is exactly why we use the bags
If the snake is in a bad mood and strikes invariably it only hits loose cloth
Because it has not actually bitten you you feel no gut instinct to pull away
Because you dont pull away you cannot cause damage to the mouth or teeth

If any of you want to show me how you dont pull away from a snake bite using bare hands I have a lovely 4+metre retic here called The Bitch, who will let you do that every single time if you try to wake or pick her up using bare hands
[I will provide the bandages and my gf is pretty good with a needle and thread]

To those who believe you should just get a cat or dog if you cant stand getting bitten please try this method

If we have had any snake for more than two months I am horrified if it even gets slightly agitated, let alone tries tries to bite. Because either of those things means I made a mistake

*chucks a Mr. Burns* "I bring you peace and love" :lol:
I am pretty much a complete newbie to all of this and when i first joined this forum the very first post i made i got a rude comment as a reply and almost completely gave up right then and there. The only thing that saved me and my love towards my new hobby is that i had a good friend that i leant on for info and he was fantastic!
Everyone needs to remember that others may not be as fortunate as i was and one rude comment could turn a newbie off the hobby before they really begin!

Not at all Wally :) I don't have anything against anyone on here, i am just sick of seeing this type of thing on here on a daily basis. Same crap different thread.

You give me pleasure Wally :lol: jks
ps i haven't read half of the replies, i got through the fitst page or so and couldn't stand it anymore lol

Fair enough, and um I'm not sure what to say. :oops:

ok to all the people out ther having a go at me i am more than capable of not hurting my snake with a glove on and i also said it makes the snake feel more relaxed when i use a glove after i have picked it up i take the glove off and handle it so the snake is still getting the smell of me i dont know y so many people have to be so negative to another persons way of handling a few people have said they use gloves and to say that that is wrong and they are giving bad info is not fair and to every one who has stood up for me in some way i thank you

should keep my mouth shut, but I just gotta say...
C.B, continuously repeating "you're not offering any advice"...is also not offering advice, and it's hijacking this thread from the poor O.P. Plus, it's quite annoying to be blunt.

O.P : If my snake/s are seeming a bit confrontational, I put a bit of cloth over them, pick them up, take it off, and they're chilled as.
But of course if your snake is more than cage defensive, I'd take the devils advice; because as has been said, you wouldn't flinch then.

and i didnt say i was scared i was nerves at first but now the snake stresses if i dont use a glove so y stress the snake out if i dont have to

this is one of the worst thing i think a snake handler can do :(
if your scared of it dont own it . get a lizard
if you put your hand in and it strikes the first reaction is to pull away most time resulting in the snake doing damage to its teeth, and opening up to cancur or mouth rot , not worth the trouble it dosnt matter how big they are get to know your snake and its attidude when opening the cage use a stick and see what mood its in but never a leather glove just asking for trouble

ops forgot
safety mater for you or the snake . the snake is the one that comes off worse
its people like u who make new people into the hoby and the forum want to get out of it u need to be more considerate to new comers

Last edited:
Personally I have never and would never use a glove, I like to be able to feel the snake and be confident that I am holding him without crushing. If your snake is cage defensive, and using a glove is the only way you feel comfortable getting him out, but you are able to then handle it without the glove, perhaps you could try using a hook? Or just keep using the glove, as long as you are gentle there should be no problem.

I dont use any thing to handle my coastal, hes a very placid boy.
However, after i feed him, because i feed him in a plastic tub (to keep rat blood and lingering rat smells out of his enclosure) when i go to put my hand in to get him out after a feed he will strike me, thinking i am more food.

I now place a towel over him to pick him up out of the tub, and its magic, settles him down instantly!

I think each person can only take advice given to them and based on their own beliefs and morals do what they think is best for THEM. It is not up to others to force their ideals on to people, as it truly is only THEIR opinion also, (except maybe in the case of experienced herpers, but again, that is open for opinion as to who is truly experienced).

Hey people, the earth is NOT flat. Some years ago a guy came up with the idea that the earth was ROUND. Guess what, it was a different idea and he was ridiculed.

Far be it for someone to suggest a new or different idea.

I use a leather glove, have done for some time and if anyone wants to come around to show me how to get a very fisty scrubbie out without using a glove or maybe a 2 meter plus hook, feel free.

I'll set up the video camera and I figure it will keep me laughing for a couple of years.

For most snakes, as far as ive observed only bite territorially or a feeding response. I agree that using a glove means you cant feel what you are doing and cant be sure if you are being force full or not. Ive seen alot of keepers put something between the view of the snake and their hand (preferably soft like a small towel) and once picked up the animal is fine even the most aggressive specimens.

my bredli python is my first snake and hes a real prick.. i made a hook out of a bent metal coat hanger, best thing i ever did, especially after today when he had a strike about 10 times a minute! hes mean haha
Just let the babies bite you, it doesnt hurt, and they calm down pretty quick..:)

Hey people, the earth is NOT flat. Some years ago a guy came up with the idea that the earth was ROUND. Guess what, it was a different idea and he was ridiculed.

Far be it for someone to suggest a new or different idea.

I use a leather glove, have done for some time and if anyone wants to come around to show me how to get a very fisty scrubbie out without using a glove or maybe a 2 meter plus hook, feel free.

I'll set up the video camera and I figure it will keep me laughing for a couple of years.

Don't use them now but same deal here .I now use a hook to "wake"her then go in bare handed and wrestle her out of her cage .At 4 mtrs and over 10kgs it sometimes ends up a clash of the titans. I've got no problems with people wanting to or using gloves .

Last edited:
should keep my mouth shut, but I just gotta say...
C.B, continuously repeating "you're not offering any advice"...is also not offering advice, and it's hijacking this thread from the poor O.P. Plus, it's quite annoying to be blunt.

O.P : If my snake/s are seeming a bit confrontational, I put a bit of cloth over them, pick them up, take it off, and they're chilled as.
But of course if your snake is more than cage defensive, I'd take the devils advice; because as has been said, you wouldn't flinch then.

i havnt had a problem, but i only have a childreni atm, and hes so chilled you scoop him out on you finger, never looked like striking....come to think of it i did a handeling course in uni a few years ago with tree snakes, whips and pythons, noone used a hook or a glove, but each to their own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back