What are your phobias?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant stand heights, spiders, insects, feet, small places, not been able to use my hands and feet if sum1 tied me up i would freak out, and been held down and tickeld

heights. although i have done bungee jumping and skydiving. and sharks. i cant even swim in any body of water thats not a pool. had a close encounter with a tiger shark when i was about 10. havent been in the water since that day. and dont think i ever will again.

Used to be chronophobic, but there's nothing you can do about the inevitable so it's a pointless fear :p

Heights don't phase me...but team height with strong wind and then the freakout phase starts.

My fear is bogans getting my snake with a shovel...

But in all seriousness, ice-cream sticks and whale-sharks (and most other large sea creatures)... no joke.

I'm terrified of all reptiles and amphibians, especially garden skinks.

Grannieannie you need a nice little gecko little cute one like a levis would help you with your lizard phobia i reckon :)

No one could be afraid of a levis, I reckon ;)

There's a big difference between fears and phobias... fear is just that - you're afraid of something reasonably, like falling from a height, drowning, creepy eight-legged spiders, snakes... all of these things are either programmed into us to have a natural fear of them for the sake of our own survival. Phobias are intense, irrational, and persistent fear of something. It's a disorder, and often can't be controlled.

Imagine if you had a fear of spiders, and there was a great big spider on the wall next to a doorway, and you had to pass through the doorway to save a loved one from certain death! The thought of a loved one in danger would probably override a fear of spiders and they would be able to save their loved one. Someone with a phobia might not be able to do that, because the fear is so strong.

I have a fear of rock-hopping, and small spiral staircases like are found in a lot of churches in Europe. The fear is that I'll fall and snap my leg :shock: I get nervous just thinking about it! I always knew I was nervous when rock-hopping. When visiting the Dom in Cologne, which has a downward spiral staircase of roughly 700 stairs, I found out that the fear extends to staircases - I got to the bottom of the big staircase (leading you straight into the gift shop, of course), and within about 20secs, was hyperventilating, sweating, crying, and shaking on the floor! My partner turned around and saw me in a puddle, and we were both freaked because neither of us knew I was going to have that reaction... I pulled it together, but continued to visibly shake while we were walking around again for another 40mins, which I think was just the adrenaline? BUT, when on a good bush walk, I can force myself to cross creeks and rocky areas when I have to... usually with the help of my bf waving a piece of chocolate at me from the other side ;)

Also, a bit nervous of swimming at the beach, so I often don't go in unless it's the height of summer, but I have no problem scuba diving :p

Crowds... anywhere from 6 people upwards.... if i dont manage to distract myself.... i will quite honestly burst into tears.... fall to the ground.... start shaking and yell at anyone who comes within 3 metres.... my friends think its quite hilarious..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back