Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebuster

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been considering getting a Carpet python.:D They are great snakes in my opinion, good size, great temperment, etc.:p I have a few questions to ask.

What is the cheapest type?

What is the biggest and what is the smallest type?

What do you reckon is the most popular type? [ please don't say jungles, I hear that they don't have a very good temperament for beginners ]

How long would it take for a coastal carpet to outgrow my 3ft by 2ft by 2ft reptile enclosure?

Thanks,
Thomas.

Mate Ill give ya some answers which will be totally biased as I own one!!
Get yourself a Bredli!! They sell at around the $300-350 mark are that isolated you want have the worries of getting an intergrade and are very easy and simple to keep and great handlers!!
Some answers to your other questions, cheapest there all rufly similar in pricing from what Ive seen the exception maybe is jungles, smallest would be a jungle in my opinion and largest would definatly be a scrub python, most popular would probably be jungles (sorry) although that view will differ from person to person, in my opinion I think bredli have better markings colour and temperament making it a heaps better python!! The enclosure you have desribed could last it a life time although I would prefer a 4ft high one for my python!!
Hope that helps champ and happy hunting, hope you find a python that suits you best as your opinion to what python you choose is the only one that counts as you have to be a slave to it for a very very long time!!
Good luck
Bax

cheapest carpet python in a coastal.

biggest is a scrub python.

smallest, something in the children/spotted group. (dont know much about them, small snakes dont interest me) :)

lately i'd have to say bredlis are amongst the most popular (8-10 foot, beautiful colour/pattern, reasonably priced 250-400ish) bit nippy as hatchies but settle down quickly. (my first was a bredli, so were my next 2,..love em)

coastal carpet could live in there for a couple of years, its a bit hard to say though since growth rate is so dependant on feeding.

MDs (murray darlings) are also quite popular, and reportedly mellow, and stay a bit smaller than the bredli.

doh, i'm a moron! :)

would that be a jungle? (the smallest?)

Lol, Chris1. They're not carpet pythons.

Cheapest is coastal carpet python (M. s. mcdowelli), average around $200-300. The biggest is also the coastal carpet (averaging ten or so feet). The smallest is the jungle (M. s. cheynei) around four feet.

Coastals, bredlis (M. s. bredli) and MDs (M. s. metcalfi) are among the most popular.

The coastal could live in an enclosure of that size for a while.

Carpet pythons are Morelia spilota, not just Morelia. So no, scrub, oenpelli, green trees and rough-scaleds aren't carpet pythons.

I'm not going to say which carpet is the best because i'd be biased, however most carpets are fairly timid and it's uncommon to find one that will be really fierce. As for the cheapest, it's all about shopping around. Go to different breeders (which are usually the cheapest), and always try and bargain! Having said that, I walked straight into a pet shop and bought a 1 month old NT Carpet for $150. So unless you know a breeder or a mate at a pet shop i think that'd be the cheapest you'd ever find. Hope that helps a bit.

If I got a hatchling and fed it a mouse of its size once every two weeks, how long would it last the enclosure?

I think if you are going to underfeed just for the purpose of keeping a small enclosure long as possible you shouldn't get a carpet. I would suggest an antaresia if you are worried about enclosure size they are small enough to be kept in suitable tubs their whole life without having to cut back their food.

hm i would recomend a coastal , it was my first snake, easy to start off with. but in the end just get what you like

If I got a hatchling and fed it a mouse of its size once every two weeks, how long would it last the enclosure?

If that's your way of thinking you should be getting an animal that is alive. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on aps. You cannot purposly underfeed something so the equipment you have lasts longer. A carpet would still be fine in a 3x2x2 for 2 years easy. In two years surely you'd be able to buy a new enclosure. Or else don't buy any reptiles if you're thinking of purposly underfeeding them to suit your needs.

If that's your way of thinking you should be getting an animal that is alive. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on aps. You cannot purposly underfeed something so the equipment you have lasts longer. A carpet would still be fine in a 3x2x2 for 2 years easy. In two years surely you'd be able to buy a new enclosure. Or else don't buy any reptiles if you're thinking of purposly underfeeding them to suit your needs.

give the kid a break, he is only 10.
cheers:)

give the kid a break, he is only 10.
cheers:)

I couldn't care less of his age, my 7 year old neice feeds her python perfectly, as does my 10 year old cousin. Age is no excuse to underfeed and animal.

I couldn't care less of his age, my 7 year old neice feeds her python perfectly, as does my 10 year old cousin. Age is no excuse to underfeed and animal.

maybe he is learning, maybe he thought he would learn something if he asked a question or two . did you know everything from day one?.
cheers and have a nice day.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back