Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe he is learning, maybe he thought he would learn something if he asked a question or two . did you know everything from day one?.
cheers and have a nice day.:)

I did I did. Clearly if he's asking how long it can last in a 3x2x2 if he's feeding it once a fortnight he knows it's meant to be fed more often then that.

Its good to see that he came on here asking first instead of buying it without finding out. we all have to ask questions that others find stupid at some stage,some more than others.

If that's your way of thinking you should be getting an animal that is alive. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on aps. You cannot purposly underfeed something so the equipment you have lasts longer. A carpet would still be fine in a 3x2x2 for 2 years easy. In two years surely you'd be able to buy a new enclosure. Or else don't buy any reptiles if you're thinking of purposly underfeeding them to suit your needs.

I wasn't thinking that at all!! What do you think I am, a 10 year old boy that loves to be cruel to animals?:x Wrong!! I love animals!!:| I was just asking a simple question!! No need to be rude about it!!:x

As has been said most will out grow your enclosure within 2 or 3 years but by then you could have a new enclosure. and as far as what is best well its really comes down to what you like the best. Jungles are tempremental but my first was a jungle and i know of others too. Bredli and md seem to be the most placid but you can get some wild ones too.

The best advice is... listen to your heart. If you have set upon a type of python that tickles your fancy, just concentrate on that type alone, and find one that has a good temperament.

Tenacres would say " pick the one you want ! " and that advice is the best. Because in reality if you pick something that comes 2nd in your heart, it wont be long until you want the one you wanted most.

just a question to add (which will probably help him)

a full grown carpet python, say mid range so 4ft? *thats mid i think!* how big of an enclosure would you need? Dimensions would be ++ :)

we're only allowed south west carpets over here, so i envy your range in choices, i also cant add anything more but i thought that q might be of some help to you :)

A 4ft carpet should still be fine in that size tank. Don't be in a hurry to move a snake to a large enclosure. I have a nice carpet who use to always stick his head out of his hide everytime I opened his door. Then I upsized his enclosure to one that made him look like a mouse in the corner. And he coiled himself tightly in the darkest corner and would not move regardless of the furniture so it wasn't just an open box. The tank is 3.5ft by 2.5ft high and 2ft wide. He doesn't come out to greet me anymore :( I have down sized him back to a 2ft L x 45cmW x 45cmH enclosure and he still runs and hides. He is getting better, again. So be patient.

A 4 foot snake should still be quite a slender size. Not too big for a 3x2x2, but just watch that it still isn't a bit too big for him.

I agree with tenacres and dragonfly. Get the one you really want. If you start with a baby, it will grow with you. Your confidence will grow with the snake and you will be looking after him second nature and by the time is is growing you probably won't have noticed how big he's gotten until someone points it out to you.

Hello all,

I have been considering getting a Carpet python.:D They are great snakes in my opinion, good size, great temperment, etc.:p I have a few questions to ask.

What is the cheapest type?

What is the biggest and what is the smallest type?

What do you reckon is the most popular type? [ please don't say jungles, I hear that they don't have a very good temperament for beginners ]

How long would it take for a coastal carpet to outgrow my 3ft by 2ft by 2ft reptile enclosure?

Thanks,
Thomas.

Hi mate, the only carpets I have are Coastals, bnut they are all very good species. The cheapest is probly Coastals, but it all varys. The biggest is the Coastal, growing up to 8, 9, 10ft. The smallest is the Jungle. About 5ft max. The most popular? Not sure.

For a Coastal to outgrow a 3x2x2 from a hatchling? Maybe 2 - 3 years. Depends really, if you slow his feeding maybe even more than 3 years.

Jungles can get much bigger than that, depends on the locale. Athertons are one of the largest and could probably still reach 7-8ft, palmerstons are supposedly one of the smallest.

Jungles can get much bigger than that, depends on the locale. Athertons are one of the largest and could probably still reach 7-8ft, palmerstons are supposedly one of the smallest.

Yes agreed VixenBabe! I forgot about Athertons. I was speaking in general. But yes, if he were to come accross one that would help alot.

I just sold my coastal. He was 7 years old and 8-9 foot long. Great snake. Never aggresive and always fed well. He will be ok in that tank for a few years. Don't underfeed otherwise he might try to eat you. As far as what carpet to get. They are much the same. Just depends on your budget and what patterns you like. Hope I helped.

Decided I don't want a coastal, I don't like the shape of their heads, nor do I like their HUGE eyes!!
Despite all the comments I've made on hating bredlis, I decided I want one!!

no one has mentioned diamonds.... but i guess with all the DPS controversy threads around it might put some off. they are by far the most beautiful carpets in my opinion and it was my first snake.
you just need to read up a bit more, sort through the crap and decided what advice you will take on them.
the temp part is definitley important that being cooler.
they have the same pretty colours and jungles but with a much better temprament :)
they can go from about $300 - $500 depending on how pretty they are :)
and a diamond could live in that size enclosure for 2 or 3 years depending on how it feeds and whether you give it a proper winter and cease feeding over that period.

but seriously.... diamonds are probably one of the most commonly kept carpets.... i think i saw that in one of those reports of the number of animals kept in NSW at least :) (but dont hold me to that lol)

Diamonds are great, and so are the diamond/carpet intergrades. They can be more finicky than other carpets but doesn't mean they are difficult. Look after their needs and you will have a great pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back