Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajandj

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the snake discussion but not new to the forum. I've had bluey's in the past and now have a gorguz bearded dragon named Yoda.

My son has been hounding me about getting a snake and l am really terrified of snakes. I've not said a flat out no, but lets wait til your birthday (in June) and then well talk about it again.
I'm hoping by doing a lot of research that i might warm up to the idea of having a snake. My problem is, lm not sure where to start - meaning, what sort of snake to look at getting. All ideas, suggestions and advice good or bad will be greatly accepted. Once l know what sort of snake would be good for a beginner, then l can start researching the ins and outs of that snake.
Thanks in advance,

Jane

Albino darwin is my first snake choice :). Get what appeals to you and is within your budget (incl housing, feeding for the rest of it's life).

cheers, that was actually a very interesting read.. i liked the part about a snake that doesn't bite... :)

Have a look and find one that you like. Then read up as much as you can about it, talk to as many people as you can to get as much info as possible!!! How big do you want it to get is one place to start, as some can get very large!! Look into housing, heating, feeding etc and make sure you can supply all that he/she needs! Good luck and cant w8 to see what you get!!! make sure you put pics up when you do!!!!!

I reckon a childrens pyton or a spotted python.. I though womas were exoctics?

Very hard to go wrong with a Woma... very robust, hardy snakes.
i agree with this. Bought my girlfriend a woma yearling this year for her first snake and she loves it and
shes not that into other snakes. Also every woma I've seen in the flesh have been the calmest snakes I've ever seen great choice :)

As per my above post, this is a hungry Woma (hopefully the pic works), gentle and placid 99% of the time but a great feeding response. Took 20mins to get her off but no harm done and no pain.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 121
hmmmm yep pics like that remind me why l have a fear of snakes.. gorguz colouring

My woma is the only snake that hasn't bitten me. But it's also the one snake that I watch my hands when feeding it. As long as you remember that then they are an excellent first snake. I'd recommend them to anyone.

A lot of people say that, and I believe it, no doubt about it. I just think mine are mad, I've seen more docile Coastal taipans and Eastern browns then my Woma's..

Go for what you like the look of the best and have the room to house, they are all pretty easy to care for. All species will have their placid ones and their psycho ones and regardless how many people tell you theres have never bitten, being bitten is just a matter of time when being a snake owner lol.

The first point as stated by almost everyone on this topic is deffinately get something you like the look of and its requirements are within your price range. I dont think anyone here can tell you which species is best as they all have different qualities and are all equally amazing in their own way, But from my opinion i would have to say a Bredli as my little male is the most placid snake i have ever known. Especially seeing as he wasn't handled very much as a hatchling, and he has never even tried to bite me. Also very easy to take care of... One other thing that i should mention wether you have read it or not is that despite the species or size of snake you choose, Be sure to expect them to be a really difficult snake, and bite Alot... That way you wont be turned off snakes if you do get one that isnt the best handler. My first snake was a Childrens Python and she wasnt handled as a hatchling, She tried to bite everything... Me, the Misses, The T.V lol but now she handles like a dream. It really does come down the the personallity of the snake, Not the species. I hope this has helped.

Yeah womas are pretty easy to look after just don't let it go hungry haha found that out the hard way when he latched onto my hand and wouldnt let go har

A lot of people say that, and I believe it, no doubt about it. I just think mine are mad, I've seen more docile Coastal taipans and Eastern browns then my Woma's..
**placing one hand on hip and the other hand, with pointed finger, swaying it from left to right**
nuh, uh.... no way.. no shape... no how am l getting the likes of a taipan...

I may be very green when it comes to snake but l sure as hell have heard of those ...... never, never , never in a millions years and all the money in the world would i add either of those to my family.. sorry to offend but.... oh man... i've got goosebumps on goosebumps and i'm shaking like a leaf..

I reckon a stimson or a spotted python they are nice to look at and great to handle and they dont get to big so it wont scare you as much when they are older. and i think you will warm up to the thought of a snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back