Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone knows its impossible why do you keep on argueing addy

I don't recall saying they are breeding. I'm just defending my first comments. None of which said there are GTP in sydney that lived happily ever after. I know it is far fetched...but why bother mentioning that. It's just best to explore every possible avenue before dismissing claims/rumours out of hand. Whats so wrong about that, and how can that upset so many people? Am i the one that started this thread? I've heard these rmours before too..so have many people, most people don't start threads about it. For some reason kirby did.

Actually Pete is right - you'd have to leave the cage open for a minimum of 18 months before a GTP would be aware that it could get out - I clean forgot about that characteristic of GTPs... makes them very easy captives...escape artists they are NOT!!!

But what can we do about the dangers the RBBSs (more importantly though, Copperheads) will pose to our Antarctic personnel - this is a pressing problem that surpasses the recent arrival of GTPs in Sydney. I gave overnight accommodation to a truckload of GTPs on their way south on a logtruck last week - they wanted to get to Sydney in daylight so they could orient themselves and find suitable creekbanks and forest pockets before digging in for winter... it was the least I could do for them... I just put them on the XPT the next morning and they got off somewhere near Woy Woy. I got an email from one (a VERY evolved individual) today to say he was very happy so far - had his first bush rat last night, but was getting ready to breed so probably wouldn't eat any more this year... Maybe it is true after all...

JJJJJ.

first off pugsly, i said myself the chances of releasing a gravid female, or a pair is remarkably unlikely. and im in agreance the chances are slim as. do you have a certain temperature that GTP's cannot drop below or they will die. ???

first off pugsly, i said myself the chances of releasing a gravid female, or a pair is remarkably unlikely. and im in agreance the chances are slim as. do you have a certain temperature that GTP's cannot drop below or they will die. ???

Even if a gravid female did lurk the Sydney bush, do you really think the eggs would survive such extremities?

LOL this thread is funny but also sucks at the same time
Its proven very popular anyway

Actually Pete is right - you'd have to leave the cage open for a minimum of 18 months before a GTP would be aware that it could get out - I clean forgot about that characteristic of GTPs... makes them very easy captives...escape artists they are NOT!!!

But what can we do about the dangers the RBBSs (more importantly though, Copperheads) will pose to our Antarctic personnel - this is a pressing problem that surpasses the recent arrival of GTPs in Sydney. I gave overnight accommodation to a truckload of GTPs on their way south on a logtruck last week - they wanted to get to Sydney in daylight so they could orient themselves and find suitable creekbanks and forest pockets before digging in for winter... it was the least I could do for them... I just put them on the XPT the next morning and they got off somewhere near Woy Woy. I got an email from one (a VERY evolved individual) today to say he was very happy so far - had his first bush rat last night, but was getting ready to breed so probably wouldn't eat any more this year... Maybe it is true after all...

JJJJJ.

lol jamie, you did a great job helping them. i bet there just loving the beautiful warm weather down there right now, probably found a wild mate down there aswell:lol:

Even if a gravid female did lurk the Sydney bush, do you really think the eggs would survive such extremities?

i said myself i was doubtfull, and admitted to never owning GTP's... so pugs can top assuming and makign comments as if i 'whole heartedly' beleive in the possibilities.

all ive heard is two stories, that may or may not be true. according to those experienced, most likely untrue and a simple mistake. the difference is pugs is having fun trying to crack a joke at me, when he actually just misread some posts..

Hi Armand I have been reading your posts and obviously you are only a young person with no idea. Why dont you wait until you grow up, learn a bit more and have something worth posting before you wast out time reading another one of your posts again.:evil::evil::evil:

JJJJJ.

Well thats true, they are super inactive. Anything to support the idea that they are in the wild, they would have to have been released.

even if they could survive the weather, predators would easily get them as they wouldnt have the same habitat they are used to and that they can camoflage well in. there are dogs and cats everywere so it also makes it even unlikelier.

Polar bears - warm blooded - can survive in a range of altered environments (even if they don't "thrive")...

GTPs - dependent on their surroundings for their thermal management - dead in Sydney in a very short time... (but maybe your neighbour's husband's cousin's wife's son saw it before it died?)

JJJJJ.

I found an isolated colony of GTPs right here in Sydney but they were wiped out by the black panthers.

the fact is the polar bear has changed. Or has become more suited to it's new home....

Why are you comparing Polar Bears to Green Tree Pythons? It just doesn't make sense.

Polar bears - warm blooded - can survive in a range of altered environments (even if they don't "thrive")...

GTPs - dependent on their surroundings for their thermal management - dead in Sydney in a very short time... (but maybe your neighbour's husband's cousin's wife's son saw it before it died?)

JJJJJ.

Cousin's wife's son? You making this sound as true as the lady's friends' sister's friend who found her pet python laying straight out beside her measuring her up to eat her.

Ash I think they are trying to make a point if the polar bear is capable of adapting to opposite climate condtions then maybe there is hope for GTP doing it as well, in Sydney.

Just to add a couple points to the credibility side of this arguement even against the genuine experts. Lets start by putting two and two together. People have already mentioned that were talking about the most inhabited city in Australia, meaning there are people living there......in HOUSES. Last time i checked most houses seem to be constantly adjusted to a comfortable temp year round and have roofs full of nice cosy insulation and...oh....what do ya know, lots of rats and mice too :)
I dont for a moment try to argue that the GTP's have magically pulled of an evolutionary miracle and adapted to the NATURAL environment of Sydney but adapting to the civilised environment....definintely plausible!
So sure, a couple escaped GTP's here, probably capable of sustaining themselves throughout winters if they picked the right location. And I dont know about their breeding habits but a handfull of snakes could easily evade human discovery over the years. Remember that they find mates largely through scent so they would still have a decent chance of reproducing in small numbers.
My 2 cents :)

I dont personally believe that they definintely are or arent there, just that its definitely possible

Addy really needs to have a better understanding of the basics of environmental adaptation - Polar Bears have a more or less constant body temperature regardless of where they are, because that's what mammals are like, so they can feasibly adapt to a wider range of environments, even as established adults...

Reptiles do not have that flexibility... period... end of argument...

JJJJJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back