Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
alright guys,
a certain suburb on the northern beaches has a history of Green Tree Pythons being found in people backyards since as long as 20 odd years ago, when some of my neighbors were spending their younger years playing in the bush. two doors down is a guy who has spoke to me about 'many years ago' catching three very young green tree pythons, at that age being vibrant yellow orange, at one little stream on one side of the suburb. and he called Taronga Zoo who emediately was delighted to take them, and agreed because their not local its better they take them. or, they wanted a new attraction t the zoo of free very expensive snakes.

another neighbor says that the house to the left has an adult who regularly can be seen, and is clearly a GTP (the guys a herper too) and an extremely intelligent man. (im talking three thick novels a week)

i know i know, pics or it didnt happen. im praying for the day he comes over and says... wanna come see the GTP... then i will bring photo's..

it seems very unlikely that someone would dispose of a GTP into the bush, let alone two (m/f) or a gravid female. the chances to me are way too slim. im guessing its very isolated patches of moist streams and thick bush were these Gtp's seem to be surviving. but why on earth are they so far south...??? i always thought they were upper north Queensland.. not Sydney.

any thoughts?

G'day Kirby,

Absolutely 100% without a doubt that there is no wild self-sustaining population of Green Pythons within 3000km of Sydney. It's kind of like the Brisbane rumours of Scrub Pythons, which some members of this forum have even tried to convince me of!

a-huh,

any reason why?

any chance that small patches of 'ideal' conditions are keeping them alive, and presumably thriving..?

both these people have knowledge of snakes, so unless they are both freak instances of escapee hatchlings and one adult diamond python painted green... im still skepticle..

ill have to try get a pic..

u sure they wer'nt smoking the green stuff tht made them c green snakes lol

I agree with Jonno..

Sounds like complete BS.. particularly this part.

another neighbor says that the house to the left has an adult who regularly can be seen

Regular? no photos, and a herper would know they are not native to Sydney and would naturally catch them.

Cute story though.

only one way to be sure.
keep going to the area on herp expeditions until you are positive none or some are there

a-huh,

any reason why?

any chance that small patches of 'ideal' conditions are keeping them alive, and presumably thriving..?

both these people have knowledge of snakes, so unless they are both freak instances of escapee hatchlings and one adult diamond python painted green... im still skepticle..

ill have to try get a pic..

They are an equatorial species of python, requiring tropical rainforest to exist. If they didn't rely on this type of environment, then they would occur down the coast in every patch of sub-tropical rainforest all the way to Sydney.

Kirby,
A good number of locals at Bamaga (tip of Cape York) told me that they have seen GTPs in their area. These were genuine indigenous people with sound local knowledge, some of them even reasonably knowledgeable on snakes. After spending some days cruising with these fellas, we found 6 "Green Pythons" - all Green Tree Snakes! There you go!

how bright do the common tree snakes get in sydney?? Had a work mate tell me he saw a bright green snake in the blue mountains, found it hard 2 believe aswell!!

I have the same thing.. Our neighbours (very very smart zoologists and scientists that study snakes) have seen GTP a couple of times before.. I made sure that they saw the actual Green Tree PYTHON and they both said it was certain.. It could well be that there are some roaming the areas of Sydney..

No doubt they're mistaking GTS's for GTP's. GTP's wouldn't survive Sydney's cold Winters.

Thats funny because when i was living up byron way the young bloke i was training said he saw a GTP in the bush out the back of his house.I wasnt a herper then but know that i think of it it was probably drug related lol.

Armand,

If your very very smart zoologist and snake scientist friends had seen a Green Python in Sydney, they would have realised the significance of their find and retained the specimen for further inspection by the museum.

Armand,

If your very very smart zoologist and snake scientist friends had seen a Green Python in Sydney, they would have realised the significance of their find and retained the specimen for further inspection by the museum.

good point.. i dont know iv never seen one before and i still don't believe it but what the heck there is a thread on it anyway so i though i might posts my experiances..

I have the same thing.. Our neighbours (very very smart zoologists and scientists that study snakes) have seen GTP a couple of times before.. I made sure that they saw the actual Green Tree PYTHON and they both said it was certain.. It could well be that there are some roaming the areas of Sydney..

Please, like Jonno said if he was half as smart as you are saying he would of no doubt realised it was a feral species. First winter would kill any of them off straight away.

yeah,
i agree with Mrbredli, i mean it is cold here in Syd and it is only autumn......they would never survive our winters although i know the snakes in our bush love the heaters in winter!!!

When I was a kid, my family went bush walking in Sydney at Kurangi (Sp?) Chase National Park (I just rang my dad and he remembered where it was, cause my brother got a tick in him that day). We saw a bright green snake in a tree. This was 20 odd years ago, and I was quite young, but it certainly was not a tree snake. To this day I swear it was a green tree python. We could see it very clearly, but it was very high up in a tree, and we watched it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back