Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my oldest is a male coastal , he's 8 years old and a bit over 6 feet long.

My stimmie is 7 and going strong. I've read 25 years as a lifespan for them. How can you tell when your snake is getting old? It's not like they get grey hair or anything. Do they gradually slow down and quit eating?

Slimebo, what type of python is that? And what is the diameter of its girth (at its widest)?
it a central queensland coastal,one of my mates pythons.he only has this one and had it for 16 years.last time we weighed her she was 12 kg but that was about a year ago.he is trying to slim her down abit.not sure on girth,next time i'm around there i'll measure it

My first snake will be 21 this year, still going strong, and still very much a breeder. He has bred with four females this season.

Simone.

PMSL Jason...

Seems about 30 is a maximum for snakes i guess? I remember TB saying he had a few old ones near that mark.

Shane Scarff has a 23 yr old Maccie, I think this year was the first in about 13 years she didn't breed!

As for Lizards, HUGE variations. Waters can get very old, but then things like Netteds etc have a short life span. Even smaller for some Geckos.

Monitor's also get to a nice age, well Lacie's do at least that I know of.

A friend was telling me of 3 Spotted Pythons that were collected in 1975 as adults, which would make them around 35 years old.

wat about monitors in perticular the biger species how big they get ovisuly the oldest living reps would be sea turtles most of them easily out live a human unless indiginouse people eat them god i hate that

My oldest pythons are a 10 year old pair of Morelia spilota cheynei.

I didn't see this animal, but I have no reason to disbelieve either the owner or my mate to whom it was offered. I assume it was the western form of Murray/Darling.

A local farmer was in his 80's & leaving his farm to move into a small house in town. He had a long-term pet carpet which he had caught on the property in his younger days & needed to give away. Nobody wanted it 'cos it was eleven & a half feet long, so he had to let it go. A mate of mine went out to pick it up, but declined when he saw the length of it. The owner said it was 4 or 5 feet long when he caught it 30 years prior. The owner's wife verified this.

Each autumn he would put it in a wheat bag & tie it off twice with bailing twine & put the bag in a box under the bench in his shed & take it out again in the spring. Don't know what he fed it on, or if it was in an enclosure, but most carpets on properties are kept in the feed shed & left to fend for themselves as far as food goes.

I do know that the ones which were inhabitants of grain sheds on places where I worked as a kid were big enough to scare the ****** out of me. They had no human interference & lived on rats, mice & slow cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back