Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hehhee get an olive :D u will learn to handle there rather large size as u go along and get used to them being so big. I dont own a olive but i wanted one as my first snake. I held one at a reptile park that was like 12 foot and weighed almost 20 kgs or more. Most placid snake ever but man it was huge! i guess its a bonus for them being cuddly and huge, not huge and nasty.

bredli's or murray darlings would both be great first snakes, i think an olive would be fine also though, as long as you are able to supply the room it requires as it grows. if you get a hatchie it still takes a few years for it to get any real size, plus you really dont realise how big they are getting until you look back at photo's from when you first bought them, i got a coastal and olive for my first snakes and i actually find the olive easier to look after, but like everyone says all snakes can have different temprements, end of the day i think you'll be very happy which ever way you go, put up some pics when you finally decide

lol this is like a tennis match , back and forth back and forth im lleaning back to olive now.

................. ok Fook it, Olive it is! :D

it takes 12 months (of regular feeds of the correct size) for them to reach 6 ft an olive is a terrible first snake imo too big too fast way too strong of a feeding response there is no time to get used to the size. i mean come one 10 - 12 ft in 3 years weighing over 10 kg you would need a 6 x 6 x 3 enclosure minimum (gotta remeber people they are an arboreal snake) never mind trying to find the correct sized food to give em can be a headache at the best of times.
and if they do become aggro for whatever reason and it does happen a snake will somtimes go from placid to aggro overnight you have a massive very agressive snake then what cant sell it and hes to scared to go near it or it just wont let you all of the sudden you have a snake being kept in terrible conditions which is going to make it worse.
im sorry but i think recomending an olive as a good first snake is very irrisponsible. im really very glad i was told to wait till i have more expieriance other wise i have no idea what i would have done by now (seeing as the snake would be 5 years old and fully grown)

ill bet there is only one person on this thread who has recomended an olive has had one more than 2 years if they have one at all.

hey guys, as some u may know im getting ready to get my frist python and 'finally' come to a conclusion of either these pythons and was wondering what you guys think would be a better choice for first time, at the end of the day i will choose wich i would like to keep but i always want advice from expeirienced people, ive handled and had expirience with pythons b4 but this is first time 'owning' one thanks in advance guys.

Olive Python
Diamond Python

:)

p.s. i know ive made a few threads lately in relation to snakes and owning one, but i want to get this right and not ****** up :p, as u can understand.:)

before you go and buy an olive make sure there on the basic listing i was going to get a olive but because of there size in vic there on advanced.
(i rang and asked)
so correct me if im wrong

Don't write off the smaller species of snake for a beginner or first snake. A snake of the antaresia group will require you to be a competant keeper in every sense from setting up and maintining an enclosure to handling and feeding. All in smaller scale/size that is easier and cheaper relatively speaking.

A few points to consider:

Housing: The bigger the snake the larger the enclosure, more expensive to buy/build as well as heat.

Feeding: Again the bigger the snake the bigger the food item and consequently a bigger food bill (and no it is not really viable to have a rodent breeding colony for one snake).

Handling: I may be out of line but you wrote this will be your first snake and you are experienced/ handled snakes before. A tip handling someone else's snakes is very different to handling your own. I only let other people hold the most placid tame and predictable snakes I own. Unless you have handled snakes displaying the full spectrum of temperaments unassisted with confidence then you are inexperienced. Choose something that is not going to be potentially 8ft to 14ft of grumpy. Three foot of grumpy is just a lot easier to deal with.

Don't get me wrong if you have to have a large species for your first snake then go right ahead. Just give it the care, attention and respect it deserves.

Cheers
Octane

P.S. Happy Herping - If the herp bug bites it doesn't matter what you buy for a first snake because you will have many more. (I have twenty with more on the way - too many snakes on the wish list the missus is ready to explode)

the dse call center is almost useless at giveing out info if you go to their web page they have all the licence forms there and the wild life licence has the species list on it.

Don't write off the smaller species of snake for a beginner or first snake. A snake of the antaresia group will require you to be a competant keeper in every sense from setting up and maintining an enclosure to handling and feeding. All in smaller scale/size that is easier and cheaper relatively speaking.

hehehe im more affraid of my baby spotted then i am of a giant olive :D small snakes scare me....

i agree with octane but i can understand not wanting an ant i never have they have never interested me but if you want a big impressive snake go with a carpet of any species really they are all the same to look after (cept diamonds) it just comes down to what you want in terms of colour and patterns.

but i really strongly advise against getting an olive as a first snake, if you want one that looks like an olive but will be easier to manage get a water python.

A few points to consider:

Housing: The bigger the snake the larger the enclosure, more expensive to buy/build as well as heat.

Feeding: Again the bigger the snake the bigger the food item and consequently a bigger food bill (and no it is not really viable to have a rodent breeding colony for one snake).

Handling: I may be out of line but you wrote this will be your first snake and you are experienced/ handled snakes before. A tip handling someone else's snakes is very different to handling your own. I only let other people hold the most placid tame and predictable snakes I own. Unless you have handled snakes displaying the full spectrum of temperaments unassisted with confidence then you are inexperienced. Choose something that is not going to be potentially 8ft to 14ft of grumpy. Three foot of grumpy is just a lot easier to deal with.

Don't get me wrong if you have to have a large species for your first snake then go right ahead. Just give it the care, attention and respect it deserves.

Cheers
Octane

P.S. Happy Herping - If the herp bug bites it doesn't matter what you buy for a first snake because you will have many more. (I have twenty with more on the way - too many snakes on the wish list the missus is ready to explode)

could not say it better myself. and nathan if you want full spectrum of snakes from quite to crazy bitey machine gun snake and you are in the newcastle area pm me. would glad to give you some hands on experience.

cheers Dayle

hey cheers guy,

still undesided hahaha, my head hurts no more today.

newcastle, what state is that? im in south aussie (heaps good, haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back