Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan09

Reaction score
hey guys, as some u may know im getting ready to get my frist python and 'finally' come to a conclusion of either these pythons and was wondering what you guys think would be a better choice for first time, at the end of the day i will choose wich i would like to keep but i always want advice from expeirienced people, ive handled and had expirience with pythons b4 but this is first time 'owning' one thanks in advance guys.

Olive Python
Diamond Python

:)

p.s. i know ive made a few threads lately in relation to snakes and owning one, but i want to get this right and not ****** up :p, as u can understand.:)

it depends

hey man,
it depends what suits your fancy

Pros of olives
- great temprament
- look great and are like pussycats once out

Cons of olives
- some are picky feeders
- they grow big, and fast so they will need a bigger tank alot faster

Pros of diamonds
- look nice, and are generally good eaters
-fair bit cheaper than olives

Cons of diamonds
-common in the wild, why own one if you can look for one in its natural environment
- can be nippy and bitey, again, it depends on the temprament of the individual snake,

this is purely my opinion, by any means change or improve mine,

thanks,

Kel

I would say neither mate.

Olives - They get real big pretty fast, you probably do not have the ability to handle a 3m it correctly or safely without prior experience. They have a strong feed response and you dont want to get tagged by a 10 or more foot snake.

Diamonds - They have more advanced requirements in regards to heating than your average python, yeah you might keep one alive for a few years with no dramas, however if your not real careful with temps the damage is done and you will wind up with a sick snake.

hmm, well i really like olives and after hearing there pussycats :p, and diamonds can be flighty and harder to keep, im a go with olive, im cumfortably with a large snake (and i have a large enclosure), my mum who was a vet nurse has had alot of expeirince, purticulay with olives (regular client, aparantly it was like 6 meters long or somthing :) lol ) and she's the one who got me onto them she loves them!

cheyne jones: u say niether, but the thing is i dont want a snake i dont like ;), im not going to get a.......Chldren's (for example) simpley because there that little bit easier to keep or a little bit smaller. ;) u know wot im getting at ey lol

you could get an murry darling they get to about 2m and are like pussy cats to

hmm, well i really like olives and after hearing there pussycats :p, and diamonds can be flighty and harder to keep, im a go with olive, im cumfortably with a large snake (and i have a large enclosure), my mum who was a vet nurse has had alot of expeirince, purticulay with olives (regular client, aparantly it was like 6 meters long or somthing :) lol ) and she's the one who got me onto them she loves them!

cheyne jones: u say niether, but the thing is i dont want a snake i dont like ;), im not going to get a.......Chldren's (for example) simpley because there that little bit easier to keep or a little bit smaller. ;) u know wot im getting at ey lol
if u know what your going to get then why ask ? why dont u get what U want . these sorts of threads ***** me because pepole give good sound advice and the pepole asking " what should i get " do the complete oppiste.

I would say neither mate.

Olives - They get real big pretty fast, you probably do not have the ability to handle a 3m it correctly or safely without prior experience. They have a strong feed response and you dont want to get tagged by a 10 or more foot snake.

Diamonds - They have more advanced requirements in regards to heating than your average python, yeah you might keep one alive for a few years with no dramas, however if your not real careful with temps the damage is done and you will wind up with a sick snake.

100% agreed start out with a ant and then grow from there.
cheers Dayle

Cons of diamonds

- can be nippy and bitey, again, it depends on the temprament of the individual snake,

geeez mate.....where do you get your diamonds from.........lol
they would have to be one of the most placid snakes around

i didnt do the opposite, by the info and advice just given says that olives are better than diamonds (as in less nippey etc) so im not doing the opposite, and i ask because i want advice, if u turn around and say; hell no dont get an olive, there vicious, bloody thristy, and will take ur hand when feeding etc. (and because im a first tim owner i wouldnt know this) then obviously i wouldnt get an olive, but if i didnt ask and got one and it turned out to like that then i in a bit of strife arnt i?, of course this is an example and doubt if any snake is that vicous (unless somthing seriosuly wrong).

LMAO @ u. 'do the complete opposite'

cheers up dude, if this thread ****s u off THEN DONT READ IT!

I would get an olive python if i had to chose between the two..
Nathan09 asked which of the two species would be better for him,
he was not asking for advice abouts ants or anything else.
lol

Really it comes down you being able to supply the correct basic needs. For the diamond, are you able to keep the room it will be in relatively cool? For the Olive, are you able to have the room to house and adult? Handle it safely? And get enough food to supply it's feeding demands?

Diamonds being nippy is a crock of .... :lol: i bet you'd be more likely to be smashed by an olive with feeding response than bitten by a diamond lol.

Just remember though that just because you've heard a few people say that olives are placid means that they are all placid. Like with all snakes there are exceptions, you could end up with a snake with a bad attitude that is going to get huge! And because this is your first snake its pretty safe to say that you don't have the skills to confidently manage a large aggressive snake....just remember that before you purchase the snake, take into account all the possibilities.

Thats what i was getting at i guess, do you have the skills to maintain a 14ft snake that is highly cage protective? Doubt it, better off learning to walk before you run IMO. I'm not saying get something thats small, but get something thats not over your head. Try a coastal etc, not difficult and a good animal to cut your teeth on.

just dont over think the idea. the needs of both pythons are basic in my opion.. and after reading a few good books. having your set up running for a few weeks u will work it out. the worst thing is to ask too many questions get too many answers, some of which may be misleading. best advice is to work out what you want contact a breeder. and get 1st hand advice and experience from someone who . if they can breed the python species. chances are the can tell u how to look after it

hmm id go the olive, but odds are you will end up with both eventually anyway lol

haha, probebly, but ill see how i go with one snake first and see if ive got the time and resources for a second :p, but maybe one day :)

thanks guys! for your input.

i was just told by somone they have murray carpets for sale soon (wich are beautiful pythons) so in taking into account what you guys have said i may go for of them :), maybe once im bit more expeirienced get an Olive. :), but im still not sure, as i said im seeing whatmy options are and researchoing as i dont wanna stuff up. :)

thanks!

what about morelia bredli?
are they a good snake for begginer? do they handle well? etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back