Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nah not really, dont really like them that much, woma's are nice sic tho, woma is still on the table.

mate i am pretty sure after reading your threads you have wanted to own every type of python in Australia, just jump out there buy one and build on that.

Everyone keeps saying that "diamonds" are hard to keep. They just have different requirements, they are no harder to keep. How long does it take to learn about their requirements and set their cage up properly? not long.

Something like a big scrubby, snapping pycho jungle might be classed hard to keep (well handle).

Diamonds generally have great temperments and I think are one of the more stunning Australian pythons.

Bredli are generally hardy and placid too and similar size to a Diamond.

Out of a Diamond, Bredli or Olive, get which one you like the most and make sure you have the room and money for food to support a large olive, if you go down that route. All 3 would make great pets.

lol me and my partner were fighting about the exact same thing with the pythins i wanted a diamond he wanted an olive. We ended up getting both the olive beat the diamond by 20 minutes on arrival. but i must say out of all of our pythons our olive is our princess and favorite. When you have one you can understand why they are called gentle giants. Our diamond python was a little snappy when younger but now handles very well except for feed time she is very intersting to watch feed when her belly goes bright pink she really enjoys her feed time.

sounds like you have really no idea...

IMO olive will get to big and just because you have held one at a reptile park for 5 minutes, doesn't mean you can handle one with confidence.

Bredli or MD is a much better option

Im gonna have to agree with james and a few other, a bredli or MD is a much better option. I feel that way not because olives are bad snakes as pets, its just that i dont think anyone thats so new to reptiles should consider such a large snake as their first pet. Starting off with pretty much any of the Morelia Spilota's would be a much better way to go IMO. They grow to a decent size, generally have good temperaments, and are quite easy to look after. It doesnt take long to get used to handling snakes and looking after them, so in theory you could then go get an olive within a year if you wanted to, but as a first snake, particularly if the only experience you have had is a hold at a wildlife park, is sort of an accident waiting to happen IMO

Cons of diamonds
-common in the wild, why own one if you can look for one in its natural environment
Except that Nathan09 lives in Adelaide so no chance of seeing a wild one.
I have only had my diamond for 18months and while their heating etc. is a bit more fiddly than some others it isn't too hard to do, especially if you follow the advice in Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons or similar.

Not that I have owned one but since an olive gets so big so quickly I would think that the diamond would be the better choice, but that is your choice to make. As already said though, you will probably end up with both before too long anyway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back