Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it comes down to personal choice and how far you are willing to go. i think if its just for your group of mates to have an experiment and see what happens, good for you. but all these guys trying to sell **** lookin mongrels cause the ugliness doesnt fit into their program, i think its time to cull!! not sell for $100..... designer hybrid morphs definately do hold a strong place in the hobbyists future but to get there we need to do it right and keep these bloodlines in responsible hands or theres gonna be a flood of ugly snakes that will take over the pure lines.

it comes down to personal choice and how far you are willing to go. i think if its just for your group of mates to have an experiment and see what happens, good for you. but all these guys trying to sell **** lookin mongrels cause the ugliness doesnt fit into their program, i think its time to cull!! not sell for $100..... designer hybrid morphs definately do hold a strong place in the hobbyists future but to get there we need to do it right and keep these bloodlines in responsible hands or theres gonna be a flood of ugly snakes that will take over the pure lines.
In fact Ausherp, it isn't about personal choice in most states, it's illegal. That is, in all but NSW and SA - someone correct me if I've got the states wrong. If you're going to get pedantic, you could argue that everything is about personal choice, as the law doesn't physically prevent these things from happening. However, you seem to have the idea that there's nothing but a matter of preference prohibiting some from doing it. This isn't the case.

Those "rpm" are what i was talking about if they carry a gene like the jag gene or pied ect then im sure there will be a market for them. but the average blackheaded carpet crosses arnt very flash at all.
With the rpms being carpet jungle crosses that intergrade would occur in the wild so i wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

Does anyone have an example of a inter species cross that carrys any value. On the overseas sites ive seen most of it is pretty "pure" like the ball python morphs, boas ect?

Also you cannot create an intergrade in an enclosure unless you start off with two intergrades in the first place.An intergrade and a cross are two very different things.
What I find interesting is when people put pics up of hybrids etc they always only have one or two examples.Would love to see pics of an entire clutch.

i live in nsw shadowdragon. i didnt realise there was a law prohibiting it, i guess i was mislead by the fact everyone is talking so freely about it. i feel my post was relevant either way.

Indeed, to NSW it's relevant. To the people weighing in on the debate from other states, not so much.

I dislike the intentional practice of crossing sub species/ species.
And I actually have good reason, as a snake catcher I have caught pythons mating in the wild that were not of the same sub species. The female was gravid and she laid a clutch of 25 eggs. All but three were slugs and the three that looked ok were pushed out of the nest and down onto the ground and died anyway. Obviously its not meant to happen. The female had no intention of nursing any of them.
I have seen the odd photo of a hybrid munt that didn't look to bad, but there is no way i'd pay the prices. Thank god there's still some Australians in the hobby and we're not all turning into little American wannabes.
Q: How do you keep a diamond x jungle?
A: Who cares as long as it breeds and I make a wedge...

First, I didn't think the authorities looked kindly on hybridisation. I understand it's illegal in most States - even those which have set up categories for them (just in case). Who can say that at some point the authorities won't clamp down on this, and in the process go too far and restrict our hobby beyond where it is now? Those of us who have been involved for long enough can remember busts over very minor issues (even outside WA, where I live) and amnesties that ended up being revoked and people being threatened with prosecution. Our hobby exists thanks to the laws in place - we flout them and we risk an unknown penalty.
Second, where does it stop? I've seen hybrids of carpets and womas (comas) and all sorts of other cross-breeds on other sites (in other countries) which wouldn't interbreed in nature. Some, like the jag-type morelia shown earlier, are indeed gorgeous. But lots aren't, and what happens to them? For mine, the mad-scientist approach is just that - mad. Yep, love the look of the some of the animals produced, but for mine that in no way justifies the process. Keep 'em pure.

I agree adderboy...even a pure animal that is less than desirable...and in a purebred clutch/litter there will be some animals that are better than others.....if the less desirable ones are bred with...at least we know that they will produce....pure bred animals and the potential to throw back to the better examples in the line......whereas a hybrid lovely or not....you could get anything when they are bred.

i would never hybridise my snakes EVER! all i was saying is some people are gonna do it, and if they are thats how i think it should be done. im not pro hybrid i am pro do whatever you want and leave everyone else out of it!

i think most people are being a little narrow minded here cross breeding should b mainly about breeding for behaviours and tolerences in the animal ie: a species that has a notorius feeding habits whith a gennerally more reliable species, maybe to increce the the comfortable temp range to make first time snake keeping a little less daunting to the novice herp lover

Also you cannot create an intergrade in an enclosure unless you start off with two intergrades in the first place.An intergrade and a cross are two very different things.
What I find interesting is when people put pics up of hybrids etc they always only have one or two examples.Would love to see pics of an entire clutch.

So if a coastal and a diamond breed in the wild, thats an intergrade... but if they breed in an enclosure it's not? even if you get the same results?
Mmmmm.... confused

what are they? I saw a "coastal x diamond" intergrade on sale a while ago... blah, don't care anymore lol

DNA can still be extracted after death. This confuses me.

A Diamond x Coastal is a Hybrid...A Intergrade is a species that naturally occurs in the wild...Crossing Diamonds-Coastals DONT get Intergrades...So crossing a Woma with a BHP what do people expect to creat,I would imagine the only difference would be the head,faded black etc..Not as black and shiny like there suppose to look like..Its only a matter of time...

what are they? I saw a "coastal x diamond" intergrade on sale a while ago... blah, don't care anymore lol

intergrades are a naturally occuring intermediate form which is not the result of any hybridisation and could possibly be classed as a separate from in their own right. If a coastal and diamond mated and produced offspring in the wild that would then be a natural hybrid, not an intergrade. The coastalxdiamond you saw is most likely a hybrid but it could possibly be a true intergrade where someone has got confused with the meaning of the term intergrade.

Smwah, yes DNA can be extracted after death but it degrades very quickly and if your out in the field with no means of preservation i would say that the DNA would be stuffed by the time you got back to civilisation

Im not a big fan of anything shown by hybrid breeders yet, but i will eat my words when some one can produce an olive x srcub. Hmm that will be the day, i cant wait to see this cross.
Totally agree that would be epic or a Anaconda X Reticulated but hey what are our chances of seeing the Anaconda X Reticulated.

Totally agree that would be epic or a Anaconda X Reticulated but hey what are our chances of seeing the Anaconda X Reticulated.

not likely, retics are pythons, anaconda's are boa's

science will one day break the barrier of species then we will finaly have Pegasus'

Status
Not open for further replies.