Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the lines should be kept pure. Sure, it might make a nice looking snake, but lets not play God here. If they dont mate in the wild, we shouldn't force it upon them in captivity. I would much prefer to buy a pure blood than a mudblood anyway.

please keep personal attacks on individual members and intolerance of other users, their attitudes and opinions off the forum please. everytime there's a thread on hybrids or cross breeding it ends up getting closed or moved.

please be nice to other members or this thread will go the same way... thank you.

i would never cross species, but morelia x morelia, anteresia x anteresia is ok as long as you sell them as what they are.. crosses...

I'm a purist and like my locality specific animals BUT that's not to say that I wouldn't buy a hybrid animal if I really liked the look of it - it's doing no harm to anyone in captivity and if it is as sold as what it is then what is the problem?

No matter how much people argue and bicker on forums it is not going to change the fact that hybrids and 'designer snakes' are here to stay and will more than likely be the way of the future in this hobby.

It does seem the tolerance towards hybrids has gone up in the last few years. I remember a time when people would be up on their high horse over intergrades!

It does seem the tolerance towards hybrids has gone up in the last few years. I remember a time when people would be up on their high horse over intergrades!

Whats the point......It has nothing to do with tolerance its more to do with not being able to get some keepers to keep the bigger picture in mind...You say we get on our high horses.I say you have blinkers on and cannot see the bigger picture and the ramifications hybrids will no doubt cause.

I dont think there will be a big market for hybrids unless they carry inheretable genetic traits most of them look crap i havent seen a nice one yet. in my opinion if they overlap in the wild they will probably intergrade in the same species eg. jungle coastal, childrens stimsons ect. i dont have a problem with that but the mixed species mongrels will probably muddy up alot of lines thought to be bought as "pure". that will suck

hybrid mongrel 1
jungle_jag_eggs_2009a-1.jpg

hybrid mongrel 2
bright_JJ_eggs1.jpg

hybrid mongrel 3
jag_2009_beehive-1.jpg

Anyone who says that there will never be a big market for hybrids are kidding themselves!

.....Funny how all the RPM's that are being bred are being snapped up very quickly without ever being advertised and for prices higher than what our high end 'pure' pythons fetch!

Last edited:
There are some coastal projects that are real deal Coastals that are going towards what that bloke just posted. Not as bright, but with selective breeding and some time they will get there without having to use jags.

Last edited:
Anyone who says that there will never be a big market for hybrids are kidding themselves!

.....Funny how all the RPM's that are being bred are being snapped up very quickly without ever being advertised and for prices higher than what our high end 'pure' pythons fetch!

Even funnier how Jags have been rebranded as RPMs.If it walks like a duck.........................
Also it's important to note that the original thread asked about cross breeds......crossing garden variety Morelia will not get you jags or anything like it.

Even funnier how Jags have been rebranded as RPMs.If it walks like a duck.........................
Also it's important to note that the original thread asked about cross breeds......crossing garden variety Morelia will not get you jags or anything like it.

Jags, RPMs, mutts, messed up dog ugly mongrels, whatever the hell you wanna call them....they all still sell easily for large amounts of money so this shows that they are desirable which is the point I was trying to get across.

First, I didn't think the authorities looked kindly on hybridisation. I understand it's illegal in most States - even those which have set up categories for them (just in case). Who can say that at some point the authorities won't clamp down on this, and in the process go too far and restrict our hobby beyond where it is now? Those of us who have been involved for long enough can remember busts over very minor issues (even outside WA, where I live) and amnesties that ended up being revoked and people being threatened with prosecution. Our hobby exists thanks to the laws in place - we flout them and we risk an unknown penalty.
Second, where does it stop? I've seen hybrids of carpets and womas (comas) and all sorts of other cross-breeds on other sites (in other countries) which wouldn't interbreed in nature. Some, like the jag-type morelia shown earlier, are indeed gorgeous. But lots aren't, and what happens to them? For mine, the mad-scientist approach is just that - mad. Yep, love the look of the some of the animals produced, but for mine that in no way justifies the process. Keep 'em pure.

Crossing genus species is more about creating a new form and behaviour of snake. Its got nothing to do with patterns colours or how much a snake is worth on the open market. Its just interesting experimentation on a personal level. Im not saying anything great going to happen crossing a coastal and a rough scale python, Obviously its going to be a 50/50, half one half the other mashed together ordeal. I'll never atempt such a breeding myself as it is illegal ( for good reasons)
But im not ashamed to admit i would add one to my collection if an opertunity arose (legally). Could alway cull it later if it was retarded.

thats not how you spell opertunity, I should download the spellcheck.

well said too Mattsnake. i was thinking like every one like the snakes in the usa and thay get mad looking snakes and every one says i wish we could have them here. so i like to see us do better with our aus snakes here in aus and kick butt. like how good do jags look you konw but that just me.but still keep 100% lines too cuz thay look sweet too i just like them all lol

Those "rpm" are what i was talking about if they carry a gene like the jag gene or pied ect then im sure there will be a market for them. but the average blackheaded carpet crosses arnt very flash at all.
With the rpms being carpet jungle crosses that intergrade would occur in the wild so i wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

Does anyone have an example of a inter species cross that carrys any value. On the overseas sites ive seen most of it is pretty "pure" like the ball python morphs, boas ect?

Those "rpm" are what i was talking about if they carry a gene like the jag gene or pied ect then im sure there will be a market for them. but the average blackheaded carpet crosses arnt very flash at all.
With the rpms being carpet jungle crosses that intergrade would occur in the wild so i wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

Does anyone have an example of a inter species cross that carrys any value. On the overseas sites ive seen most of it is pretty "pure" like the ball python morphs, boas ect?

RPM are jags .. dont be mislead by the new name

Status
Not open for further replies.