Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys, yer the bells is very clean. When i bought him i was the first in, hence I got pick of the clutch.
the normal is a lovely animal also, picked him/her up last night. i really wanted a normal so i had one of each.

Great to see you got them in that enclosure Jase, I bet they love it. Is "lacie" a female for Bella?

thanks guys, yer the bells is very clean. When i bought him i was the first in, hence I got pick of the clutch.
the normal is a lovely animal also, picked him/her up last night. i really wanted a normal so i had one of each.

any pics of the whole enclosure, looks pretty good.

Great to see you got them in that enclosure Jase, I bet they love it. Is "lacie" a female for Bella?

not sure what sex Lacie is, I'm not worried about breeding them, just wanted a normal/tiger phase aswell and a mate/companion for Bella. having said that i imagine i'll end up at the vet with him/her soon to find out.

Ill get a couple pics of the setup ASAP

Still no full enclosure shot... I'll get there :) Here is a shot of my pair of bells phase. the male is on the left and female on the right. Both are approx. 4ft long and 3 yrs old. Doubt they'll breed this season but next season i think they may.
Anyone have any info on the results from a bells x bells pairings?

Anyone have any info on the results from a bells x bells pairings?
It all depends on whether the pair are heterozygous or homozygous. If one or both are homozygous, all of the babies will be Bell's phase. If they're both heterozygous, 25% of the babies will be normal phase, the rest Bell's phase.

That's kinda what I thought. So essentially it's codom with out a super form? Hence a homozygous animal is visually the same as a het but when mated with a normal will produce all bells?
Thanks

In Mike Swan's book they talk about tests they did that still hadn't produced conclusive results. They paired two Bell's phases together and got 71% Bell's over three clutches. Then they paired a Bell's with a normal and got about the same ratio. So at the time the book was printed there was still some investigation to be done but it says it does appear to exert some dominance. Maybe there have been more tests done though since that was printed...

So essentially it's codom with out a super form?
Not co-dominant. It appears to be classically Mendelian dominant.
In Mike Swan's book they talk about tests they did that still hadn't produced conclusive results.
I'd say Matt was just being conservative, based on little available information (the three clutches of Bells x Bells he mentioned were his own, the Bells x normal someone else's), and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that anything other than normal Mendelian dominance was happening on the basis of getting a similar ratio from a single mating between a Bell's phase and a normal. Way too small a sample size for any sort of significance, especially as the average clutch size for lace monitors is small (around 7-10 eggs) and the difference between the predicted result of 50% and surprise result of 75% (I presume he meant 75% / 25% ratio rather than 76% / 24%, because the latter would require a clutch of 25 babies, which lace monitors don't produce) is one or two babies.

lacies start breeding at a certain length,though its best not to rush them,they are capable of breeding under a year of age,its best to let them grow more naturally and probably get better success allowing animals a few years growth before pushing them to breed

Love the Red Blotched Tree Monitor and the Bells Lacies!
Here is "Whiplash" my female Spencer's, she's a treat to watch, not shy at all.
IMG_2123.jpgIMG_2141.jpgIMG_2203.jpgIMG_0450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 311
Okay, that was strange. Richard's response wasn't there when I posted mine, yet the time on it indicates it was earlier. Kylie, what Richard said was spot on. They can start breeding quite young, but it is better to grow them a bit more gradually.

Back