Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it amazes me how people who can talk about rats of which ive breed for many years which at the end of the day are a domesticated pest of which we breed to feed our snakes of which are native animals (mostly)this i put in out of respect to those playing the genetic game. how we can confuse the two please tell me this is not the way our reptile industry will roll

This is the best statement in the whole thread. Non-confronting, constructive, inspiring and practical piece of advice.

I agree, but how many of yours/anyones(legal) snakes are wild. They are not wild herps anymore, and most hatchies are raised in a tub with paper substrate. If a 10th gen captive bred yearling is moved into a suitable sized tub, I doubt it will miss the bush/plains! Its been raised on paper, in a tub. Just a question, are snakes a creature of habit?

it amazes me how people who can talk about rats of which ive breed for many years which at the end of the day are a domesticated pest of which we breed to feed our snakes of which are native animals (mostly)this i put in out of respect to those playing the genetic game. how we can confuse the two please tell me this is not the way our reptile industry will roll

Dogs are also a domesticated pest, cant think of many who would keep them in tubs with no respect for their wellbeing. Why should a native animal as stupid as a fish be granted more imaginary fairy rights than an intellegent social animal like a rat? Half you so called 'snake huggers' would be happy to impale a fish on a hook for sport while whinging about someone who protects themself by killing a harmful snake. There are plenty of people who are in touch with nature on this site but sadly many are just prosnake biggots completely out of it.

The reason why snakes need some room to move around may be just completely unknown to some people on this thread.
Not all pythons are ambush predators, take the aspidites species, they are active hunters. So are most elapids, not ambush but active hunters.

All snakes need exercise for muscle development and to keep digestion flowing properly. Snakes that don't get exercise, become lethargic and the process of digestion creates gases that need to be released through exercise, otherwise they run the risk of bloating and abdominal pain, movement helps stop this just like in humans!

So as long as there is enough room to move and stimulus to necessitate movement then they are fine. This can be achieved in either an enclosure or a large tub. But those large retics and burmese in the tubs that snakebytes has, well.....

hey cris i have pet rats and yes they are a very comical little animal to have as a pet but i dont confuse the two and another thing to all of you that think snakes are stupid etc if you earn the respect of one of or all of your shakes or reps you will learn that they are capable of a lot more than we give them credit for

hey cris i have pet rats and yes they are a very comical little animal to have as a pet but i dont confuse the two and another thing to all of you that think snakes are stupid etc if you earn the respect of one of or all of your shakes or reps you will learn that they are capable of a lot more than we give them credit for

I appreciate things for what they are, i even think my parents are stupid but i still respect them(I also know as a proven fact im stupid). Snakes are awesome animals, but brain power isnt one of their strong points. They still are obviously well adapted to life, but i would like to see anyone prove they are smarter than many types of fishes and i would doubt they are anywhere near as smart as a squids and stuff.

There are plenty of people who are in touch with nature on this site but sadly many are just prosnake biggots completely out of it.

Here, here

---------- Post added 16-Jan-11 at 12:03 AM ----------

As long as you meet all of your animals' needs, then the rest is really an individual choice. I do not believe that one is better than the other, racking systems just simply suit some keepers better than display enclosures and vice versa.

The racks were developed to suit the keepers not the animals kept in them.

Perhaps, but if it also suits the animals then the reason for its design is really of no consequence.

Racks and tubs aren't bad - it's the people that use them inappropriately that are the problem..

Last edited:
Perhaps, but if it also suits the animals then the reason for its design is really of no consequence.

Racks and tubs aren't bad - it's the people that use them inappropriately that are the problem..

Guns don't kill people.... douche bags kill people

Guns don't kill people.... douche bags kill people

Guns dont kill anyone, projectiles are useful occasioanlly though :lol: (thats is a joke for any degnerate dumb enough not to get it)

i do believe snakes respond to stimulus, every time i add a new branch or hanging pot to a section in the aviary it becomes the flavour of the month of the next 3-4 days, all the snakes in that section feel the need to perch on the 'new thing'.

keeping snakes indoors is unnatural regardless, while i thought i was happy keeping my snakes in big well decorated indoor enclosures, these days im happiest seeing them all empty cos my snakes are outside enjoying the elements, the complete surprise is how much they love the rain, as soon as it starts they all move out to the open perches to spread out and get wet.
they can enjoy their indoor enclosures for 2 days after feeding, and then again when winter comes.

Big, well set out tubs or indoor display enclsoures im sure really dont matter, if a tub and display enclosure have the same amount of space/branches/hides/heat etc its much of a muchness. (i'm not talking about those rack/tub setups that are 15cms high, i do consider that cruel)
i make my enclosures pretty cos i prefer spending a few hundred $ on displaying my animals nicely than buying a bunch of paintings to decorate walls.
and i get hours and hours of enjoyment observing my happy animals doing their thing. (even if that is sitting motionless on a branch) :p

Here, here

---------- Post added 16-Jan-11 at 12:03 AM ----------

As a general statement, that's a flawed argument indeed. The great success keepers/breeders have in raising close to 100% of young snakes these days is largely due to the fact that the babies are kept in controlled confinement. Tubs/racks suit many snakes very well in terms of privacy, security, managed temperatures/humidity. I'm not arguing for or against, just being objective. Snakes generally are shy, secretive and retiring.

Jamie.

I think all breeders keep new-born babies in some kind of tubs, racks or similar containers. We have no other choice (no need for detailed explanation I hope).
However, I know several keepers who use racks and tubs for one and only reason; they accommodate large numbers of reptiles. These people pride themselves with what they got, the more the better, having species that their mates don't have is even better. This collector's mentality is a common phenomenon amongst hobbyists and if you haven't seen it, you haven't been around long enough. I've got a mate who very experienced, knowledgeable reptile keeper. Each time I see him, he has got something new, another adder, another this and that and when I asked him what does he get out of his "collection" in terms of pleasure, experience, money, whatever ....... he replies something like "it's great to have them all" - nice bloke but still a **********head. This is an instance where I would like to see racks banned.

disclaimer: if you're not one of those "collectors" take no offence ..... if you are, keep it quiet.

Racks and boxes are ideal for breeders
But most reptile owners are not commercial breeders

A snake in a box is just another curiousity to be stared at through the opaque plastic
A snake in an environment is a thing of beauty which responds much more actively

We have three burmese in one enclosure here
As soon as we open the shop two of them come straight up to the glass waiting to crawl around the shop
Would they do this if they were in plastic tubs??
We have absolutely zero negative comments about our reptiles
The reason is that they are all fit and active
Would they be the same in a plastic box??
I for one will not keep any thing other than hatchlings in tubs

But then again it is each persons personal choice

The reason why snakes need some room to move around may be just completely unknown to some people on this thread.
Not all pythons are ambush predators, take the aspidites species, they are active hunters. So are most elapids, not ambush but active hunters.

All snakes need exercise for muscle development and to keep digestion flowing properly. Snakes that don't get exercise, become lethargic and the process of digestion creates gases that need to be released through exercise, otherwise they run the risk of bloating and abdominal pain, movement helps stop this just like in humans!

So as long as there is enough room to move and stimulus to necessitate movement then they are fine. This can be achieved in either an enclosure or a large tub. But those large retics and burmese in the tubs that snakebytes has, well.....

This is so true... I notice my snakes using their branches to help push their meals down. Once they have eaten they like to do a bit of climbing and moving until they have pushed that food right down. I wonder how this would affect an animal that could barely move.

haha i think that, even if the snake doesnt care, having a rack or some click clacks, doesnt look as nice
dont get me wrong, i dont only like things that look nice, i just think that snakes should have space to move around, would you guys keep an ackie in a click clack that was hardly big enough for it to stretch out in?

haha i think that, even if the snake doesnt care, having a rack or some click clacks, doesnt look as nice
dont get me wrong, i dont only like things that look nice, i just think that snakes should have space to move around, would you guys keep an ackie in a click clack that was hardly big enough for it to stretch out in?

lizards are totally different so its an unfair comparison to make

I think tubs are fine if they provide room for snake to stretch. For me its not a enclosure vs tub situation more of a tiny room vs a larger room. I prefer to keep my snakes in enclosures but have also kept snakes in large tubs until enclosures were built. I have to say i never got to see my snakes unless feeding and cleaning in tubs but now i can lay on my lounge (yes i'm lazy its school holidays) and enjoy them slithering all over the place. Personally its more enjoyable for me to have them in enclosures. I would love to have them in outdoor enclosures but worry about them, getting stolen. Then i would have to move my lounge outside.

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me of any studies that have proved snakes are stupid. I don't want to start another argument but there are a lot of people saying snakes are just stupid, so i just would like to know where these statements come from.

There are plenty of studies around. Even easier: a quick glance at a diagram of a snake's brain and some basic knowledge of the structures and their functions will also make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back