Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest mistake and i think the biggest mistake many people make is how they set up their collections.
When i first started i had heaps of skinks,dragons, gecko's frogs and then one day realised i don't know why i own half of these besides they were cheap and for sale when i had money... i ended up with 1 of this 2 of this and no real numbers to do any breeding to keep them long term.

My biggest mistake occurred about 2 months ago......I had cleaned out all my enclosures and without realising it I hadn't closed one of the corners on my BHP's lid properly. She was a bit of a houdini and she escaped....I was away for a few days. When I got home and realised I turned the house upside down and couldn't find her. I noticed one of the flyscreens on a window was on the ground outside so I searched outside.....with absolutely no luck. I still go out every couple of nights with the torch and look for her......probably a waste of time as I live in rainforest but I keep hoping that maybe I'll get lucky one day and be outside just at the right time. She was a beautiful snake and I still miss her heaps :(

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

My biggest mistake occurred about 2 months ago......I had cleaned out all my enclosures and without realising it I hadn't closed one of the corners on my BHP's lid properly. She was a bit of a houdini and she escaped....I was away for a few days. When I got home and realised I turned the house upside down and couldn't find her. I noticed one of the flyscreens on a window was on the ground outside so I searched outside.....with absolutely no luck. I still go out every couple of nights with the torch and look for her......probably a waste of time as I live in rainforest but I keep hoping that maybe I'll get lucky one day and be outside just at the right time. She was a beautiful snake and I still miss her heaps :(

ohhh:cry: that made me so upset just reading. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Just the part about you going out every night and hoping :( hope that lucky day comes and your beautiful girl returns. Remember people have lost there snakes for like 18mths or something incredible. Miracles can occur! Keep your spirit high!

Agreed... I'm new to the game & some of the feedback I've read is certainly not called for... In saying that there are many persons on here who contribute a wealth of knowledge for which i am thankful for... With any application of information you receive it's best to draw from many resources & collaborate that together along with some common sense and make an informed decision... I place considerable value in experience...

I'd just like to point out how many posters from this thread are now suspended. And I though Fay was trigger happy...

Here comes the new boss...

whats even funnier about that kam is alot of inexperienced folk actually jump on the band wagon and say the same thing,eg try search,google ect ect,some questions do get asked alot though,and sometimes the same questions had an identical thread on the same page

why there needs to be ten posters on some threads saying check google though i do not know,and if it irratates folk so much u have to wonder why they bother looking at the thread let alone responding to it to begin with

alot of folk mention promoting reptiles to the general public,possable newbies to the hobby,yet someone asks a question and can sometimes cop some abuse over it

funny way of promiting reptiles if u ask me,everyone has started out,they should remember that instead of being so high and mighty,or attempting to come off as so high and mighty

the old if u havnt got anything nice to say,dont say anything at all

these forums are about reptiles arent they,for EVERYONE to learn from

back on topic,yes made plenty of mistakes,every one has,some just wont admit it

that's 1 of the things about this site that annoys me too ,the abuse that's served up when people ask for help;we all have to start somewhere.How else do you get information and thus experience?

I have been keeping snakes/lizards for just under a year.
However I have had the hatchling sticky tape problem, the same one escaped out of my click clack and did not feed my yearling enough food but she is gaining weight well now thanks to someone on here who came and had a look at her.

So yes, I have done some not so good things, the hatchie, I was able to get her off with only minimal scales being lost and I found her within 10 minutes (on top of the rats enclosure ^^)

left cage a jar lost a scrub python for bit over a while found skinny but alert, still slow process of feeding them up slowely

Thankfully ive learn't from my mistake (mentioned earlier in this thread) and it has never happened again, hopefully never will. :)
I was very lucky to have found her considering how small she was. I now double check the sliding doors everytime i close them.

i left a few rats out to thaw one night fell asleep an the next day whoo boy did it stink it smelt like something when to the toilet didnt flush then died had to air out the entire house

i left my stimsons tank open a tiny bit one night and he escaped, but i found him the next morning! and bought locks for the enclosure soon after :D i also cooked dinner one night with him around my neck and he fell in the stir fry :lol: JOKING people lol but the 1st bits true....and he could have fallen in my stir fry but he didnt lol.

Are you sure it was just 1 night?

well technically a night and a bit
yea i put the frozen rats in warm water i waited half an hour they thawed out but they were'nt quite warm so i refilled the bucket with hot water so they would get warmer faster and i fell asleep mind you i woke up about midday...

Thanks bananapeel.......reading the comments on other threads where people have found their snakes after a huge amount of time does keep my hopes up a little.

when i was 13 and first got my license my first snake was a spotted python anyway the python was eating well and doing fine it was in the loungeroom. one night my sister had a party outside and i was sound asleep she took my snake outside her and her friends played with it im not sure how long but in the morning there was something wrong with it basically it looked to me like it was struggling for air and lying on its side and it died :x i cried for the little guy and have always been angry about the matter but i accepted it to be my mistake and to my grave it will be seared into my mind and thats what makes you a better reptile carer just knowing how bad the feeling is and how much of a privelage it is caring for such beautiful misunderstood animals.

when i was 13 and first got my license my first snake was a spotted python anyway the python was eating well and doing fine it was in the loungeroom. one night my sister had a party outside and i was sound asleep she took my snake outside her and her friends played with it im not sure how long but in the morning there was something wrong with it basically it looked to me like it was struggling for air and lying on its side and it died :x i cried for the little guy and have always been angry about the matter but i accepted it to be my mistake and to my grave it will be seared into my mind and thats what makes you a better reptile carer just knowing how bad the feeling is and how much of a privilege it is caring for such beautiful misunderstood animals.
that is not your fault mate, my mum brought a friend over when they went to the pub one night he tried to take the snake out of its enclose when i was not there (i have a outdoor enclosure) and he got bit by a snake that normally does not bite, then he screamed out like it was my fault serves him right trying to hold my snake without my permission while he was so drunk he could barely walk. I made a misake once of underfeeding my snake ( not to the point where it was going to die) but i took her to a regular vet check up (herp vet) and he said i need to up size her food.

My Children's escaped and I couldn't find her for as month. She turned up in the downstairs garage. Never been so happy to see her in my life. To this day I don't know how she managed to get out of the unit, down 2 flights of stairs and stay alive without being run over by the 10 or so cars that drive in and out of that garage everyday for a whole MONTH!

I do everything right including stuffing up.

People (esp newbies) ask Q's on forums as sometimes they wouldnt have a clue were to look. People on forums love to express themselves. Human nature steps in and it is almost a scene from from childhood days,
OP- "How do I. . . ?"
respondent "Ever tried Google" (this will get a few likes).
OP- "yes but I wasnt sure what I needed to know"
respondent no 2 " obviously . . . isnt for you, you dont know what it's about and then you get on here and expect people to help you"
this last response will usually get a few agreed responses and a couple of likes, and then it begins.
Newbie is like ***, maybe even a little taken back especially as it takes some people to work up the courage.
Every body likes to express their opinions only some people can be quite righteously aggressive.They are often not helpfull but more like roosters strutting around the pen "look how good I am".

This is SO true sometimes! For example until recently I though quarantine meant keeping snakes in separate cages, I didn't realise this meant when you get a new snake you shouldn't go straight from one to the other without washing your hands and when I posted a thread about my other snakes reaction instead of being informed and encouraged I was shot down and made to feel stupid :/ it's not just me I see it happening to other too and I think that defeats the purpose of this forum :(

But aside from that yes I've had a houdini moment with my coastal on the weekend actually, scared the life out of me! Haha we all live and learn :)

My stimmy got out. Acctually our cat opend the door just enough for her to get out. She was gone for 10 weeks then turned up under the stove last week.
Dont under estimate the curiosity of other pets in the house. The doors now have locks on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back